How long after background check is usually your first day?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by somebodiesgot, Jun 18, 2014.

1. somebodiesgot

somebodiesgot Member

Hello, I had an interview a few days ago and I received a call for a job offer. The woman told me they will run a background check and I will receive a call for my first day next week. I'm just wondering how long after the background check goes through do people typically take to start their first day? I was just surprised I didn't have to fill out any forms or anything, just told I will receive a call next week for my first day.
  2. Could be 2 days or two months. Good luck, future Brown!
  3. Xav

Xav New Member

Mine took about 3 days.
    Basically if you have a pulse and answer yes to the 75lb lift question, you get the job
  4. somebodiesgot

somebodiesgot Member

Yeah well the job is at a terminal as opposed to a hub, I'm happy I got it really. I just thought I would maybe have to fill out forms or something in the mean time, but I guess I have to wait until the background check clears.
  5. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

You will do that on your first day, along with training for a couple days, then thrown into a truck.
  6. Don't you mean, training for a couple of minutes?
  7. upschuck

Here they have classroom training for a couple days. Don't know what they do there, but some people quit during that training.
  8. upschuck

Now that I think about it, one day is probably all those awful compliance videos we have to watch every year. Almost makes me want to quit.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. Thats pretty bad, when you can't even make It through training! Never could understand that, you go through the effort to get a job!
  10. AirOnTrace

AirOnTrace Allergic to cardboard.

Hey don't blame them, it's culture shock. There's no classroom training required for playing video games at mom's house or peddling meth.
  11. upschuck

"But mom, I tried, but it was too hard."
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. somebodiesgot

somebodiesgot Member

I'm actually going to be a dockworker at a terminal. I want to work already sigh, i got laid off from my old job a couple weeks ago, not working sucks.
  13. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

15. somebodiesgot

somebodiesgot Member

16. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

Day one for my was about an hour and a half of videos and like another half hour of being walked through the DOK stuff (part-timer).

Next day I had a sup loading three trucks with me. Day after that I had a sup checking up randomly while I loaded four trucks, and the day after that it was pretty much sink or swim.

OP, it's a crap-shoot, man. For me, I filled out an app in August a few years back and showed up at a tour, scheduled a second interview that same week and I was working the next Tuesday (less than two weeks from filling out an app to working in my center).

Some people go through a ridiculously dragged out hiring process, though. It all depends on how badly the location you've applied at is in need of workers.
  17. somebodiesgot

somebodiesgot Member

Yeah I've read that the hiring process varies time-wise. On the first day did you fill out paperwork too? Wish the background check process was faster. I just need the $$$ asap.
  18. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

I filled out paperwork right after my second interview, but I don't remember whether or not I did any paperwork on my first day of actual work.

I don't think I did, other than looking at DOK sheets.
  19. Mindless wonder

Mindless wonder New Member

I think the op is talking about ups freight
  20. somebodiesgot

somebodiesgot Member

I am, and I never had a second interview. Only one and told I got it.