How long before they just give up and layoff couriers?

Bankrupt

There is no freight coming into our sta anymore. I have an extended area and was back in less than 8 yest and today. At least 30% were back and gone before me will a few more rolling in before I clocked out. We have no open pup routes and easily 2 more swings than necessary (lots of guarantee pay I presume) I just don't see how they can continue to pay people for not working much longer. Similar anywhere else out there in express land?

Glorifiedpackmule

There is no freight coming into our sta anymore. I have an extended area and was back in less than 8 yest and today. At least 30% were back and gone before me will a few more rolling in before I clocked out. We have no open pup routes and easily 2 more swings than necessary (lots of guarantee pay I presume) I just don't see how they can continue to pay people for not working much longer. Similar anywhere else out there in express land?

Not at my location! We're hiring people left and right! One full timer quitting = 4 new part timers with no freight to deliver. Makes good business sense !

overflowed

Where I'm at it is exactly the opposite, massive amount of freight not enough bodies.

Bankrupt

Not at my location! We're hiring people left and right! One full timer quitting = 4 new part timers with no freight to deliver. Makes good business sense !
Maybe they could hire another mechanic since he hasn't got my ac fixed yet, oh that's right it's one guy and like 60 vehicles in our fleet

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Some stations are still heavy, and others are not. My station has heavy inbound every day. I know of locations where they are still getting plenty of OT....but not much longer. Look at last weeks JCATS and see how many of the open positions are PT. They have bled-off as much volume to Ground as they can through Sales, and eventually, at least IMO, you will see most of the non-overnight services be shifted to Ground.

FedEx hates paying minimums, and they will try to get you to waive minimums if they can. Others will disagree, but I think Express is losing a lot of volume through general incompetence. Shippers are getting tired of having their outbound miss the plane, having their pickup missed altogether, or not getting their vital P1 package until the afternoon.

Bankrupt

Where I'm at it is exactly the opposite, massive amount of freight not enough bodies.
And your express? I wonder if some of the decision makers do this crap on purpose. Busy sta no hiring dead sta job fair next mon tell your friends( if I got anyone a job at FedEx they probably wouldn't be my friend much longer)

DontThrowPackages

Our station varies from day to day. We aren't handing out guarantee pay but some guys are going home early 1 or 2 times in the week. Helps we've had retirements, quits and a hand full of injuries. There's your attrition.

Bankrupt

Some stations are still heavy, and others are not. My station has heavy inbound every day. I know of locations where they are still getting plenty of OT....but not much longer. Look at last weeks JCATS and see how many of the open positions are PT. They have bled-off as much volume to Ground as they can through Sales, and eventually, at least IMO, you will see most of the non-overnight services be shifted to Ground.

FedEx hates paying minimums, and they will try to get you to waive minimums if they can. Others will disagree, but I think Express is losing a lot of volume through general incompetence. Shippers are getting tired of having their outbound miss the plane, having their pickup missed altogether, or not getting their vital P1 package until the afternoon.
I agree every day I come back from a day off I have several customer complaints. We have a lot of new swings all the good ones finally got routes. My favorite customer quote is "what is going on at fed ex these days"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree every day I come back from a day off I have several customer complaints. We have a lot of new swings all the good ones finally got routes. My favorite customer quote is "what is going on at fed ex these days"

Yep. Customers know it's screwed-up.

hypo hanna

FedEx would only have layoffs as a last resort. Not because they are the "people company" as they like to claim, but because they would have to pay out unemployment insurance. They would much rather make your lives miserable so you quit or screw up enough where they can legitimately fire you.

Rhoderunner

FedEx would only have layoffs as a last resort. Not because they are the "people company" as they like to claim, but because they would have to pay out unemployment insurance. They would much rather make your lives miserable so you quit or screw up enough where they can legitimately fire you.

Sad but very true !!!