How long did it take to get full time

Tater Chip

Have been at UPS over 14 years waiting to get full time just wanting to see how long everyone else has waited. I do work at a pretty good size hub but they haven't filled any jobs since 08.

brett636

6.5 years in 2006 to go combo. One guy went combo with 3 years in 2008. To go driving right now its whoever is qualified can probably go fulltime. Next year it may be back up to a several year wait. Who knows...

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
3 years in 08, although I was dq'd for an inside building crash, so technically 2. When I first came on PT in spring of '06 I could have gone right out...but had other obligations. A buddy started with me the same night, and he was driving before he made his PT seniority.

Nimnim

The Nim
6 years and waiting. I might have gotten lucky a few years ago before the economy went sour, but I wasn't looking for FT at that time.

OptimusPrime

Can someone explain the off the street hires? I see no advantage in it. Seeing as I don't live in a right to work state, and these guys have to go union, just seems like line jumping?

Can someone explain the off the street hires? I see no advantage in it. Seeing as I don't live in a right to work state, and these guys have to go union, just seems like line jumping?

Off the street hire is someone who is hired under the 6 to 1 ratio in the contract. It means you miss out on the miserey of being part-time.

It's a way for the company to promote a part-time sup that they would like to become an on road supervisor. This will give them experience. Also some locals have agreements like my local that they will hire from another teamster local that might work in the same area like our porters. The company also like to bring in fresh meat from off the street. Off the street hires are very green to the ups culture and have no chip on there shoulder from years of being a partimer.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
It's a way for the company to promote a part-time sup that they would like to become an on road supervisor. This will give them experience. Also some locals have agreements like my local that they will hire from another teamster local that might work in the same area like our porters. The company also like to bring in fresh meat from off the street. Off the street hires are very green to the ups culture and have no chip on there shoulder from years of being a partimer.

Sometimes they THINK that the pt employee will go ft supervision and the employee just would rather be a driver.....:wink2:

Re-Raise

Seven years.. the first three I was still in college. I helped my father on our family's farm until I went full-time. Then we sold all of the equipment and we are renting the ground out now.

8Years2Go

Hired for peak of '83, called back in February of '84 and gained seniority in early April of '84. Earned 75% of top scale with a 5% raise each month. Top scale in a whopping 5 months, those were the days!