1. The postings on BrownCafe are the personal opinions of individuals and don't necessarily represent UPS positions, strategies or opinions.

How long did it take to get full time

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Tater Chip, May 27, 2011.

1. Tater Chip

Tater Chip New Member

Have been at UPS over 14 years waiting to get full time just wanting to see how long everyone else has waited. I do work at a pretty good size hub but they haven't filled any jobs since 08.
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Dave? Dave's not here.

11 months back in 1989.
  3. brett636

brett636 Well-Known Member

6.5 years in 2006 to go combo. One guy went combo with 3 years in 2008. To go driving right now its whoever is qualified can probably go fulltime. Next year it may be back up to a several year wait. Who knows...
  4. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Member

3 years in 08, although I was dq'd for an inside building crash, so technically 2. When I first came on PT in spring of '06 I could have gone right out...but had other obligations. A buddy started with me the same night, and he was driving before he made his PT seniority.
  5. over9five

over9five Senior Member

Applied on a Friday. Started FT Monday.
  6. klein

klein Für Meno :)

First day here, too !
  7. 728ups

728ups Well-Known Member

i was part time for four years to the day.
  8. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Drone Class 8D-45

Off-street hire, driving full time immediately.
  9. brownrod

brownrod Member

21.75 months
  10. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

6 years and waiting. I might have gotten lucky a few years ago before the economy went sour, but I wasn't looking for FT at that time.
  11. upsguy72

upsguy72 The Berkshires

12. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Member

Can someone explain the off the street hires? I see no advantage in it. Seeing as I don't live in a right to work state, and these guys have to go union, just seems like line jumping?
  13. 407steward

407steward Two eggs short of the omelet

Off the street hire is someone who is hired under the 6 to 1 ratio in the contract. It means you miss out on the miserey of being part-time.
  14. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Member

I fully understand that. But what is the reasoning?
  15. 407steward

407steward Two eggs short of the omelet

It's a way for the company to promote a part-time sup that they would like to become an on road supervisor. This will give them experience. Also some locals have agreements like my local that they will hire from another teamster local that might work in the same area like our porters. The company also like to bring in fresh meat from off the street. Off the street hires are very green to the ups culture and have no chip on there shoulder from years of being a partimer.
  16. User Name

User Name Only 230 Today?? lol

Sometimes they THINK that the pt employee will go ft supervision and the employee just would rather be a driver.....:wink2:
  17. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

Seven years.. the first three I was still in college. I helped my father on our family's farm until I went full-time. Then we sold all of the equipment and we are renting the ground out now.
  18. faded jeans

faded jeans just a member

19. TheKid

TheKid Active Member

A little over 3 yrs
  20. 8Years2Go

8Years2Go Member

Hired for peak of '83, called back in February of '84 and gained seniority in early April of '84. Earned 75% of top scale with a 5% raise each month. Top scale in a whopping 5 months, those were the days!