How long did it take you drivers to become drivers?

TheKid99

I was told 3-5 years

Won a bid in 7 months got disqualified (something showed up on my driving record). I'm going to win the next bid which will be in January and I've only been here a year lol

hardcharger

Was cover driving within a year. I was put on a route for a whole then one day when I arrived at the center I was told congratulations your full tine. Took a little over two years. I was 23 when I started

PT Car Washer

I was told 3-5 years

Won a bid in 7 months got disqualified (something showed up on my driving record). I'm going to win the next bid which will be in January and I've only been here a year lol
Your building bids driving jobs in January? In my building it is the start of several months of lay offs.

TheKid99

Your building bids driving jobs in January? In my building it is the start of several months of lay offs.

Yep they always go out after the peak free period.

I think this time 10+ package car jobs will go up this January. 7 drivers are retiring before December and 4 spots are open right now. Rumor is they put a freeze for integrad school so I'm guessing they will not put the bids out until January as always.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
TCD after 2 and 1/2 years. Full time after 6 and 1/2 years. Worked full time as a TCD as soon as I became one and never went back to the hub. The contract has changed since then to punish centers that used TCDs like that back then. They do avoid using them more than 156 reports a year.

What does the contract say about cover drivers who drive every day?

UPS4Life

Every building is different. Right now you can start at HARPA and be driving the next month. We are in need of drivers badly going into peak. But in other buildings you could wait 10 years before a chance to drive comes up.
Why are we still hiring!?!? Feeders has 80 some drivers on the extra board and 66 this week are on call with a lot in the hub working. Glad they finally started doing yard work but the new building rumor is going around again.

Sorry for hijacking the thread 3 years here for feeders. Different areas have different waits, one guy in NYC was pissed he's like man I've been waiting 20 years and still can't drive! It was a smaller center probably not many runs out of it.

AutoZone

BrownPower
ive heard orlando hub has about 50 cover positions available between east and west centers. im hoping to get on one of those and bust my ass thru peak and cross my fingers and hope they keep me!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Why are we still hiring!?!? Feeders has 80 some drivers on the extra board and 66 this week are on call with a lot in the hub working. Glad they finally started doing yard work but the new building rumor is going around again.

We need Package Car guys. I know we don't need feeders. We just lost two drivers in West to Feeders in the last few weeks. I keep contemplating the move over to feeders as well. Last time I checked the list I would sit about 84th in seniority out there.

AutoZone

BrownPower
what are the perks to feeders vs. package car? obviously 1 is not dealing with people all day long, but doesnt driving around the yard get boring?

AutoZone

BrownPower
We need Package Car guys. I know we don't need feeders. We just lost two drivers in West to Feeders in the last few weeks. I keep contemplating the move over to feeders as well. Last time I checked the list I would sit about 84th in seniority out there.

what are the perks to feeders vs. package car? obviously 1 is not dealing with people all day long, but doesnt driving around the yard get boring?

Cementups

Box Monkey
not actually working vs. working. And you'll only drive around the yard if that is your bid. Or if you're begging for hours

UPS4Life

Don't do it! I've moved back enough this year haha. You should be able to get a good job. I think a lot of guys around there work second shift hours like 2pm-12am give or take. If you go on call I think they're making out good you'd be up top and picking whatever you wanted but wouldn't have the same job every week.

As far as perks it's all about what you like to do. Biggest difference I think package car moves during the day feeders is a lot of late afternoon/night time jobs.