how long did it take you to get a route?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I was a preloader for 1 yr. 10 months. Went full-time, when offer rte. at a small satellite center that was not easy to get to, did 2 yrs. before I was able to bid back to the mother ship. The only good thing out there was that I was never laid off, I did cover for 2 yrs. before I could bid a rte. and since then I bid 4 different routes. I think the next bid I might bid a nice windshield rte., I'm not getting any younger.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our next bid may be an active one. Our mall driver is going to feeders, another driver wants his route and I want the route of the driver who wants the mall. Our later start time and the crunch to get the air off on time has the city drivers looking elsewhere.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
Worked p/t for a couple of years. Offered driver position, I had a route from day one of driving. Worked in a center that was short of drivers. Did that route for 14 years, the route wasn't bad. Started out in a P800 90-110 stops, by the time I bid off it was at 130-140. Last bid the lowest seniority driver bid the route, and is being harassed daily over his performance . The cover drivers bitch and moan whenever they have to cover route, I covered it once for week last summer. I' m glad I have the seniority to bid a route that I could possibly retire on.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Took just under 4 years to get a bid route. Been on it 19+ years. A windshield route is opening up soon due to a retirement. I make such good bonus on mine I'm hesitant to move on.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
Excuse my ignorance, what is windshield route and what is bonus. In my building we don't have bonus. I've heard of the bonus on the cafe, but I don't understand the concept.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Excuse my ignorance, what is windshield route and what is bonus. In my building we don't have bonus. I've heard of the bonus on the cafe, but I don't understand the concept.

A windshield route is a country route. More driving then delivering. Bonus means you get paid the planned day if you are under. Planned day is 10 hours, you punch out in 9, you get paid for 10.

brett636

Did you get the bid route on your merits or was it simply a seniority situation?

Isn't all upward movements for hourlies simply seniority? It really was the perfect combination because when I came in our feeder department had not hired new drivers in over 3 years and were severely understaffed. When you consider the glut of retirement eligible drivers who were finally beginning to call it quits along with a massive increase in volume (thank you Amazon!) it created the situation were people were coming into feeders and going right into bid jobs. Its finally starting to become more normal as the number of drivers have increased, but even as recent as this year we had new feeder drivers come in and on their 31st day get their own bid runs.