How long did it take you to make Driver?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Mine was 2.5 years but only because I had to wait till I was 21. I could have gone out alot sooner if I was old enough. It bothers me a little that there are guys higher up in seniority than me as drivers even though I have been here 2 years longer than them in total seniority, only because of my age. At 32, I am number 41 +/- in my center, but if I hadn't had to wait I would be probably around 30 +/-. Sucks.

cino321

Mine was 2.5 years but only because I had to wait till I was 21. I could have gone out alot sooner if I was old enough. It bothers me a little that there are guys higher up in seniority than me as drivers even though I have been here 2 years longer than them in total seniority, only because of my age. At 32, I am number 41 +/- in my center, but if I hadn't had to wait I would be probably around 30 +/-. Sucks.

I had to wait till I was 21 too, but I kept my seniority. That's weird.

dirty moose

I had to wait till I was 21 too, but I kept my seniority. That's weird.

i also had to wait till i was 21 and kept my seniority.

started when i was 19 on the twilight shift was there for 2 and a half years then when full time.

1st 2 weeks as a driver i was sent back into the hub (how depressing).
then i worked 2 weeks, and they sent me back in the hub for a week( which was just a week off as i never went in.
smooth sailing after that. i think it took me maybe 40 days to work 30 days.

dcdriver

nations capital
Started with UPS turning 18 in 88 went full time after turning 21 in 91 about 3 yrs. Now I think it take about 30 days. New hires quitting all the time 1 at of 10 will hang on.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I was a part time hub rat that became a full time daylight hub person in less than 2 years. I was driving feeders at 21. I had to bump into package 3 years later due to a change of operations. Life's been good. I have covered feeders off & on over the years but daylight package has kept me from getting fat!

cino321

i also had to wait till i was 21 and kept my seniority.

started when i was 19 on the twilight shift was there for 2 and a half years then when full time.

1st 2 weeks as a driver i was sent back into the hub (how depressing).
then i worked 2 weeks, and they sent me back in the hub for a week( which was just a week off as i never went in.
smooth sailing after that. i think it took me maybe 40 days to work 30 days.

They used me everyday and made my seniority in the 30. Why? Because I volunteered to do the van routes. I also worked on the same boxline and center that I preloaded on, so I knew a lot of the loads.

outamyway

Four months in 06, but I injured my knee in my 30 days and I was sent back to preload. I started delivering saturday air a week after I was sent back and did it every saturday untill I got the EAM position 6 months later. I top out in 3.5 months.

I think I have everyone beat. It maybe quicker than that now. They hired a few people off the street a few months ago. They were not seasonal.