How long did take for prudential to process your 401k loan

onehandsolo

Hey I am purchasing a townhome and was considering borrowing about 10k from my 401k to help with the down payment. Was wondering how long the process would take thanx.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I arranged my disbursement over the phone. Told them how much I wanted the check to be. Told them to do the math as far as the withholding to come up with the gross amount.. (your 401 is pretax) They told me it would take about a week. A week later, knock knock, a guy in brown hands me an envelope with a check in it. Easy as that. I had just passed the 59.5 age where there would have been a penalty.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Nice .
I now plan on taking some cash out of the 401K to carry me over until those nice fat pension checks arrive .
I've been out for foot surgery and my P/T says I will probably never return to work .

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I arranged my disbursement over the phone. Told them how much I wanted the check to be. Told them to do the math as far as the withholding to come up with the gross amount.. (your 401 is pretax) They told me it would take about a week. A week later, knock knock, a guy in brown hands me an envelope with a check in it. Easy as that. I had just passed the 59.5 age where there would have been a penalty.

Withdrawing from the 401 is quick, easy and fast.

The OP wants to borrow against it. Might take a little longer.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch

The OP wants to borrow against it. Might take a little longer.[/QUOTE
I apologize. My senility is showing. I'm sure borrowing is going to be a little more time consuming. Even tho it's your money in there, they don't make it real easy to get to it sometimes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP wants to borrow against it. Might take a little longer.

I borrowed 8 times when my kids were in college. I had 2 loans going at a time. Each check took about a week to arrive.

To the OP---you do realize that the bank may frown upon you having to borrow for part of your down payment?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Last edited:

onehandsolo

Yeah I going to borrow against it so that I can make 20% on home purchase. There will be no early withdraw fees and no income tax implications as long as I pay the money back. There is a 75 service fee and the interest rate 4.5%

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't plan on ever borrowing from my 401k but I've always heard it was a smart move. I mean why not? Your borrowing YOUR money and paying YOURSELF back with interest right?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I borrowed 8 times when my kids were in college. I had 2 loans going at a time. Each check took about a week to arrive.

To the OP---you do realize that the bank may frown upon you having to borrow for part of your down payment?

Not true at all. Did it on my first house years ago through my 401k. The bank actually suggested it as I was a first time buyer at that time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not true at all. Did it on my first house years ago through my 401k. The bank actually suggested it as I was a first time buyer at that time.

Most banks will ask for your most recent 6 months of bank statements to see if there were any unusually large deposits which could indicate that you had borrowed the money to make the down payment.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Most banks will ask for your most recent 6 months of bank statements to see if there were any unusually large deposits which could indicate that you had borrowed the money to make the down payment.

And as long as you show documentation of where those deposits came from and terms, you're fine.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
...but if you borrowed $10K from Mommy and Daddy you may have a problem...

Never had that issue. Always saved and made good amounts of money on each home purchase I did.

I would gladly help my kids out so they could get started in life with little debt. That's what you do as parents. Help your kids have it better than you and so forth.