How long did you take off for birth of a child

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was active duty when both kids were born and my supervisors at the time were very liberal with how much time I took off. Even so, I was back to work after a couple of days and she went back after just a couple of weeks.

I guess things were different back then but I can't imagine taking up to 12 weeks off after the birth of a child.

I agree with Cove---how are you young parents able to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I was active duty when both kids were born and my supervisors at the time were very liberal with how much time I took off. Even so, I was back to work after a couple of days and she went back after just a couple of weeks.

I guess things were different back then but I can't imagine taking up to 12 weeks off after the birth of a child.

I agree with Cove---how are you young parents able to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off?

They can probably take that time off, because their parents are continually throwing money at them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They can probably take that time off, because their parents are continually throwing money at them.

I know that my daughter some unpaid time off following the birth of her daughter and will do so again in late October but that was all on their dime. Her employer does offer some paid time off but it is nowhere near 12 weeks.

Faceplanted

USA USA!!!!

Where we have to worry about how we can make ends meet from a simple birth of a baby. It's a damn shame

Most of the civilized world has ample payed paternity leave. But we can't cut into those billions of quarterly profits!!!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
My kids were born healthy and no problems ,, back to work in two days , no fmla back then , but even still , how do you guys take all this time off with no pay ???
Young parents, big mortgage or rent ?? I never would of done it ! Different generation I guess
And don't tell me I was a bad parent, I had responsibilities
I had seven kids and one on the way and still managed to save 10 weeks worth of salary.

I actually took 5 weeks worth of vacation while I'm fmla and came out with more money in the bank then when I started.

DOK

I have been off on fmla for the birth of my second child and was thinking of taking an extra week or two now. Do I need to call hrsc? Also just curious how long some of you guys took off. I have the right to take up to 12 weeks but seems like my on car sup is mad and wants me back asap. He even called me a couple times on a Monday a couple weeks ago and when I didn't answer he had my union steward call me asking where I was and that he thought I was supposed to be back at work. I just assumed he got the same Fmla paperwork with my dates off on it and that I would let him know when I would be back. He then tells me yeah you are supposed to really call me everyday and tell me if you are coming to work or not. I talked to another guy who took fmla and he said he didn't call them one time. I just really think I may take another week or two, but want to do it the right way and don't want my on car sup or center manager mad. Sorry so long and thanks for any input
5 days was all we were allowed, my how times have changed....

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Used 4 weeks of my vacation back to back. I was able to schedule it around the due date and had option days for the actual day if it fell before the vacation.

With my first two, didn't have as much paid time off. Took one week for my oldest and 2 weeks for my middle child.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I took a week off for each of my kids. The first child was born on a Sunday night, the second was scheduled birth for a Monday. The company moved a vacation week to cover time off.

Faceplanted

How do you guys feel about those drivers who feel the need to take FMLA during Peak to "bond" with their 11 month old "newborn"?
It's nobody's business especially considering they will probably not see them much at all after coming back to work thanks to the long hours.

Laugh all you want, baby's have great senses and things like holding a baby for hours so they can smell your scent, to hearing your voice so they can get used to it and associate it with positive emotions are huge and all scientific fact. Companies don't want us to know these things that greatly help development of a baby/parental relationship because they don't want to pay us a fair amount of leave.

Faceplanted

It just wouldn't feel right (to me) to sit home and play Daddy while everyone else is busting their butts.
Understandable. I have no right to personably call you a bad parent for that just as you have no right to call somebody lazy.

There are studies proving what I'm talking about when it comes to growing bonds with a new born by simply just being there. Bonds that can't just be grown once they are past that stage. The scent of pine needles, the songs of Christmass and your dad being there to associate all of those good things together before turning 1 add lots to the subconscious of a new born.