how long do you think sticks will be around?

margaritaville

5 more years, 10 more years? I hate driving them. I can drive them but i em always more stressed driving them compared to a personal vehicle. Since i dont want to go into an awkward area and have to pull on austin powers on a hill etc.

Sticks are fun to drive in my free time and i can drive ups sticks but i will be happy when they are gone. Like i killed it recently trying to pull on a very busy country road and it was scary having cars heading towards me fast while i had to restart the engine. Like i didnt kill it once the entire day and i was just heading home and it happened in an awkward location. Nothing bad happened but still.. UPS saves money holding onto them but they prob cause a percentage increase in accidents via rolling backwards and killing it. Its just a fact so ill be happy when they are gone.

32F driver

I was awarded a brand new P800 in Feb, 2014. My old P700 was built in 1988 & has over 400,000 miles on it. The new car has a beep for everything, & I mean everything. People who drive one know what I'm talking about. That car is an automatic. After 3 days in that car, I said you can have this annoying pos, I want my old stick back. I got it & I couldn't be happier.

Pooter

Manuals are easy to handle. The problem with them is that most come with no power steering and the dreaded high step.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I love my "dinosaur". A 1996 with only 153,000 miles on the clock. 5-speed, doesn't have that crappy keyless entry system, barn-doors, spacious cab, comfortable seat, good heat, fan for the summer, low step, will do 75 MPH all the way to my area, don't need to go any higher than 3rd gear anywhere on the route. Just need it to last 19 more years.

oldngray

nowhere special
Write up lack of fan on DVIR as a safety issue. You might need to be persistent but eventually you should be able to force them to install a fan.

Rainman

Its all good.
5 more years, 10 more years? I hate driving them. I can drive them but i em always more stressed driving them compared to a personal vehicle. Since i dont want to go into an awkward area and have to pull on austin powers on a hill etc.

Sticks are fun to drive in my free time and i can drive ups sticks but i will be happy when they are gone. Like i killed it recently trying to pull on a very busy country road and it was scary having cars heading towards me fast while i had to restart the engine. Like i didnt kill it once the entire day and i was just heading home and it happened in an awkward location. Nothing bad happened but still.. UPS saves money holding onto them but they prob cause a percentage increase in accidents via rolling backwards and killing it. Its just a fact so ill be happy when they are gone.
We were told a couple of years ago that automotive was no longer buying parts for them and that as the current parts supply ran out, the cars would be crushed rather than be repaired.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

We were told a couple of years ago that automotive was no longer buying parts for them and that as the current parts supply ran out, the cars would be crushed rather than be repaired.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Parts and repairs are always less expensive then buying a new package car. I would still learn to drive a manual transmission but yes they are on the way out. Maybe 20 years.

BrownTexas

Manual transmissions are better overall but the power steering is definitely something all trucks should have.
We have one at our center. I drove it all peak and had pretty much nothing but culdesacs that I would have to back up in just to make the turns. Free gym membership...

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Write up lack of fan on DVIR as a safety issue. You might need to be persistent but eventually you should be able to force them to install a fan.

A few years ago, when UPS's knee-jerk reaction was to take all fans out, the driver that had my truck at the time greased the palm of a mechanic and said mechanic simply forgot to pull the fan.

It makes a huge difference on a hot day, IMO.