how long does it take!?!

Joeskyline06

I have had a grievance (well many) that were filled 6 weeks ago by my BA, i haven't heard anything back from him, after leaving voice mails and messages with his secretary. All of them are on pay issues. How long does it usually take before someone in my shoes hears back about something of this nature?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm not sure that there's a standard response to your question, it all depends how long it takes for the grievance to be heard and the pay awarded. In my hub it's certainly not a very efficient process

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I have had a grievance (well many) that were filled 6 weeks ago by my BA, i haven't heard anything back from him, after leaving voice mails and messages with his secretary. All of them are on pay issues. How long does it usually take before someone in my shoes hears back about something of this nature?

Your BA should definitely be in touch with you, but it actually takes a while to settle grievances - especially ones related to back/penalty pay. UPS Labor Managers usually do everything they can to slow down the process; mostly to frustrate people into not filing. Good defense attorneys do the same thing - they delay trials as long as they can because arresting officers get transferred, witnesses die off or move away, evidence gets misplaced, etc.

It usually takes 4-6 months for me to get a settlement check for grievances I've filed on supervisors working - usually because terminations/discharges/suspensions always take precedence over everything else at local level meetings between the BA/Labor Manager.

UPSGUY72

It all depends on the issue if it a interpretation of the contract issue or a cut dry pay issue it could be months.... You should contact your BA they will have a better answer then you'll get on here... Your BA could be using you grievance as a bargin chip for something else.....

Joeskyline06

I tried contacting him several times and finally got in touch with him today. He said he still has not been able to talk to our labor person or whoever he has to, but he did tell me he got a copy of my work history (days and times worked) but on it, the weeks I'm grieving on are totally empty (as if no time had ever been put in)

Joeskyline06

well, unless someone can supply me with a really good reason not to i am calling the labor board today and filing my complaints with them about my local. Yes i do understand this is a last choice that many of yall would never consider, but because of my pay issues my savings has dwendled to nothing, and i have a trip that i have no choice but to go on here in the next few weeks that i was also planning on using some of the money for. I have tried calling everyone up to the international office and have got no help.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
well, unless someone can supply me with a really good reason not to i am calling the labor board today and filing my complaints with them about my local. Yes i do understand this is a last choice that many of yall would never consider, but because of my pay issues my savings has dwendled to nothing, and i have a trip that i have no choice but to go on here in the next few weeks that i was also planning on using some of the money for. I have tried calling everyone up to the international office and have got no help.

Unless you have brought this issue up at your monthly membership meeting, I would strongly advise against it. Anything regarding penalty pay, back pay, et cetera takes an enormous amount of time to clear the UPS labor department hurdle. You have a 6 month window to file labor charges and it's definitely not something to be considered lightly. Once you pull the trigger, there's no going back.

Joeskyline06

i understand that, but all my BA has done is lied to me. first he told me he wrote the grievances and presented them, then he had wrote them but had presented them, then a week or so ago he told me that he had just gotten the time sheet from ups so he could study it for when he did get a chance to present it. Ive been getting the run around since late nov early dec. i know its hard not knowing much except what i have told, but put yourself in my shoes. I mean all im tryin to get is whats owed to me, I have been a due paying member for 4 years now, and have never needed representation until this incident and i feel like all that money has went to my BA and the other person in the office to eat doughnuts and drink coffee.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
At the very least, you should put them on blast at the monthly membership meeting before you file labor charges against the local. That's how union democracy works.

Its one thing to be the village malcontent that doesn't hesitate to call out the local's officers - its another to be the guy filing labor charges. You don't want to be that guy unless it's absolutely necessary; the guy filing labor charges is seen as someone willing to damage the union for personal reasons, whether or not that's accurate.

Joeskyline06

Well I'm not trying to damage my union, just get what I deserve. Now do I care if that damages the union..yes..but the reputation of my BA and his job..no not at all, as I said, I paid my dues but don't see why now because I'm receiving a bunch of lies. And while I have not called him out at our monthly meeting, I have talked to every steward I could and a few have tried contacting him on my behalf with no real response.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Well I'm not trying to damage my union, just get what I deserve. Now do I care if that damages the union..yes..but the reputation of my BA and his job..no not at all, as I said, I paid my dues but don't see why now because I'm receiving a bunch of lies. And while I have not called him out at our monthly meeting, I have talked to every steward I could and a few have tried contacting him on my behalf with no real response.

Then your best bet is to call your BA out - in front of his boss (the local president) and the membership - at the next meeting. Write down your recent experiences, how often he's been in contact you, and how you feel you've been wronged and read from it during the portion of the meeting reserved for "the pleasure of the membership." Avoid profanity and be direct and to-the-point. Make sure you state how much money you've lost and how its harmed your finances. I gurantee - unless your local is irrevocably broken at all levels - that you'll see at least some movement in the weeks to come.

It's amazing how a little bit of public accountability can get **** done. And if that doesn't work, then you can consider the next step.

Joeskyline06

Wait...it might be my local president telling me all this. I know he is the "highest" guy at my local and everyone says he's the head union guy around here. I have also told I could try and have him impeached(which makes me think he might be the pres.)

Joeskyline06

Well I looked on the union cork board today while I was at work and I found out the person that I thought was my BA is indeed my union president. Does anyone have a 1-800 number for a higher up in the union that I can contact

Inthegame

i understand that, but all my BA has done is lied to me. first he told me he wrote the grievances and presented them, then he had wrote them but had presented them, then a week or so ago he told me that he had just gotten the time sheet from ups so he could study it for when he did get a chance to present it. Ive been getting the run around since late nov early dec. i know its hard not knowing much except what i have told, but put yourself in my shoes. I mean all im tryin to get is whats owed to me, I have been a due paying member for 4 years now, and have never needed representation until this incident and i feel like all that money has went to my BA and the other person in the office to eat doughnuts and drink coffee.
How do you know he likes donuts and coffee?

My 9/5s took a year to payed because they went to the national panel in San Diego. My center has a lot of drivers filing 9/5s. That's why my bc sent them to San Diego, it was to show labor that we need more routes.

Well I looked on the union cork board today while I was at work and I found out the person that I thought was my BA is indeed my union president. Does anyone have a 1-800 number for a higher up in the union that I can contact
There's this Pt in my bldg. that went Ft driver. He didn't
like what the local union was doing so he called above them. They sent him back Pt. Now they keep jerking him around. He is a pawn in the chess game. You can mess with the company (wolfs) and if you are a good union worker the union will have your back but if you mess with the union they will throw you to the wolfs. Be very careful and good luck if you go done that road.

nate4027

Don't get discouraged by some of these posters, I had a lousy BA and simply went to the Teamsters website and got in touch with a guy through email that is on the contract negotiating committee. He made one phone call to my locals' president and things have since done a complete 180 all with just one phone call. Its not what you know its who you know in this game. I don't know the specifics of what they are screwing you out of on pay, but if its still happening since the grevience hasn't been settled be sure to keep a running total and hopefully you put that wording in your dollar amount so your not capped to what it was at the time the grevience was filed.

Joeskyline06

Don't get discouraged by some of these posters, I had a lousy BA and simply went to the Teamsters website and got in touch with a guy through email that is on the contract negotiating committee. He made one phone call to my locals' president and things have since done a complete 180 all with just one phone call. Its not what you know its who you know in this game. I don't know the specifics of what they are screwing you out of on pay, but if its still happening since the grevience hasn't been settled be sure to keep a running total and hopefully you put that wording in your dollar amount so your not capped to what it was at the time the grevience was filed.

Yeah I called them(hall I believe is who ur talking about) said he was busy through the end of the month. Ill try shooting him an email and see if that gets me anywhere. Idk if anyone can anwser this or not, but I filled for penalty pay on 3 checks that have been messed up since dec..is the penalty pay still adding up? When does it stop?