How long does your driveway have to be to get its own name?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Legitimate question. So just how long does your long sh*y driveway have to be to constitute having it's own 9-1-1 lane name on the map?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There's a difference between having your private lane and it showing up on a map. Had 2 of them yesterday. Neither was anywhere to be found on a map.

oldngray

nowhere special
There's a difference between having your private lane and it showing up on a map. Had 2 of them yesterday. Neither was anywhere to be found on a map.

Those private lanes may be on some maps but may not. I have seen it both ways and different maps of the same areas vary.

UPS4Life

I had a neighbor who maybe twenty years ago was out of town and found a street sign with his name took it and put it at the end of their semi long driveway. It for whatever reason I was looking at the at my house on satellite and realized their street name is on Apple maps. Only house back the lane maybe 1/8 of mile.

sailfish

It really isn't hard to find them.
The question though is, for example,

Say you have 520 Bumfak Road and 540 Bumfak Road, but in between them is just a long sh*y driveway that leads to one house whose address is 121 Weeping Willow Way. Why is their address 121 Weeping Willow Way instead of 530 Bumfak Road?

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The question though is, for example,

Say you have 520 Bumfak Road and 540 Bumfak Road, but in between them is just a long sh*y driveway that leads to one house whose address is 121 Weeping Willow Way. Why is their address 121 Weeping Willow Way instead of 530 Bumfk Road?

Because somewhere along the line, probably during 911 re-addressing, Weeping Willow Way was added into the database as a road.

Seeing as how it's in EDD, it would be listed near the two Bumfaks, it shouldn't be hard to find.

You should have worked here back in prehistoric times when people out in the sticks had RD addresses. Your head would have exploded.

sailfish

Because somewhere along the line, probably during 911 re-addressing, Weeping Willow Way was added into the database as a road.

Seeing as how it's in EDD, it would be listed near the two Bumfaks, it shouldn't be hard to find.

You should have worked here back in prehistoric times when people out in the sticks had RD addresses. Your head would have exploded.
It's not really finding them that's the issue, It's why Weeping Willow Way was added into the database in the first place instead of just being recognized as the driveway that it is.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sometimes you get weird things like houses using proposed streets as addresses. Might only be one house like that in the middle of another street. Or where another street would supposedly intersect but the road doesn't go through to meet the other street.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's not really finding them that's the issue, It's why Weeping Willow Way was added into the database in the first place instead of just being recognized as the driveway that it is.

Why not?

Wouldn't you like to have your own street named whatever you want?

rod

Retired 22 years
It took me over 8 years of hounding Google Maps and Yahoo Maps to get my private road in their system. Now I wish I hadn't. I've came to the conclusion its better if the world can't find you.