How long does your driveway have to be to get its own name?

oldngray

nowhere special
It took me over 8 years of hounding Google Maps and Yahoo Maps to get my private road in their system. Now I wish I hadn't. I've came to the conclusion its better if the world can't find you.

It may be on Google but also may not be on official maps.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I had a neighbor who maybe twenty years ago was out of town and found a street sign with his name took it and put it at the end of their semi long driveway. It for whatever reason I was looking at the at my house on satellite and realized their street name is on Apple maps. Only house back the lane maybe 1/8 of mile.
Because somewhere along the line, probably during 911 re-addressing, Weeping Willow Way was added into the database as a road.

Seeing as how it's in EDD, it would be listed near the two Bumfaks, it shouldn't be hard to find.

You should have worked here back in prehistoric times when people out in the sticks had RD addresses. Your head would have exploded.

When printed road maps were the craze, companies would get upset that they would do all the leg work in making a street map then some other company would copy it and call it their own. Companies smarted up by putting small variances in a town map that doesn't exist. Non-existent dirt roads and fake pond names were commonplace. If a second company copied the map with the fake part included, they would be sued for copyright infringement.

It's probable that a city or town planner could have added it into their database without following up. I'm sure it still goes on in the digital age with Apple maps and Google.

hqdefault.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
When printed road maps were the craze, companies would get upset that they would do all the leg work in making a street map then some other company would copy it and call it their own. Companies smarted up by putting small variances in a town map that doesn't exist. Non-existent dirt roads and fake pond names were commonplace. If a second company copied the map with the fake part included, they would be sued for copyright infringement.

It's probable that a city or town planner could have added it into their database without following up. I'm sure it still goes on in the digital age with Apple maps and Google.

hqdefault.jpg

I think it started with Rand McNally who sued the companies that copied them. It was also the cause for the rational system of naming roads instead of the crazy mix that existed previously.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

hqdefault.jpg
On a recent map I looked at I was baffled by two dead end residential roads it showed that I knew weren't there. That might explain it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think it started with Rand McNally who sued the companies that copied them. It was also the cause for the rational system of naming roads instead of the crazy mix that existed previously.

I'm sure all paper map making companies must get 99% of their information off of Google Earth and street view.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.

hqdefault.jpg

That would explain how the GPS navigation systems that we have today got all screwed up with nonexistant roads.