How long have u worked at UPS and how many years do u have left until retirement?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

24 years in, 6 more to go. Unlike most people, who figure out their 30 years and then work backward to start using all of their personal/sick/vacations, I plan on working up until my 30th year and then taking all of my personal time. It will be nice to have that chunk of change in my pocket when I make the move down to Albany.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
24 years in, 6 more to go. Unlike most people, who figure out their 30 years and then work backward to start using all of their personal/sick/vacations, I plan on working up until my 30th year and then taking all of my personal time. It will be nice to have that chunk of change in my pocket when I make the move down to Albany.

You moving to Georgia?
My wife was born in Albany.

pretender

That is what I did. It made for a nice "bonus" check.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unfortunately yes we do.

Of course you have already googled this!

The Albany I was referring to was Albany, NY. My daughter and son-in-law have a townhouse they bought as a rental property which I will be moving in to when I retire if they are able to find a house; if not, I will find a nice rental nearby.

New York is not very pension friendly but I want to live close to them as they (hopefully) start their family.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Many of you have worked here longer than I've been alive. Beyond that, I have 11 years with the company and I'll probably be working until 2040.

This seems even worse now that it's written down....ugghhh.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I'll be eligible to retire in 6 years,but I'm planning to retire in 12 years. The reason why is that I get 6 weeks vaykay plus 1 option week,Major Holidays paid, the job keeps me in excellent shape, with the kids being grown it's MY money now and the freedom to work alot of overtime keep me debt free with nice toys,travel and a healthy 401k and Stock Portfolio.
Plus.................and I know alot of you will gasp and shudder at this ..........I LIKE the job! I play Santa Claus everyday,get to pet everyone's dogs, am challenged daily,and come into contact with a lot of great people. The Day-to -Day boosheet from management can be irritating but it takes up less than 5 minutes of my day,so it's easy to shrug off.

I was recently talking about this & I too plan on staying.(depending on how things work out in the new & future contracts.)

I am part time, & have no desire to go full time as most of you are or were. I've worked for UPS twice. First time a couple years, this time, less than 10.

I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about the pension to retire with, and use my paycheck for savings or play. And quite honestly, I love working here. With all the vacation & holiday time i have, & more down the road, that's plenty time off for me.

InsideUPS

I started working part-time at UPS in 1978 when I graduated from college. I immediately entered a graduate program (M.S.) when I started working for UPS...finishing up a M.S. Thesis in 1982.

I will have my 35 years in October 2013. I will work through Christmas and then take my 7 weeks vacation from January - February...2014. I will be retiring with $1925 per month under the current contract language in addition to having some form of retirement health care.

Note: I was one of the fortunate few that was able to remain part-time while starting my own business (Receiving the "Red Circled" pay rate certainly was an incentive to remain at UPS). These last few months seem longer than ever for some reason. If our Union would have negotiated a "Tiered" pension as it had done for the full-time employees, I would have retired with 34 years.

FYI- A "tiered" pension is one that you receive pension credit for EVERY year in-between 30-35 years...... IF you retire before NORMAL retirement age. For example, under the current part-time pension language, if you work 34 years and are NOT 65, your pension amount drops back to the 30 year level of $1650.

twoweeled

The way things are now, and the way they are going - I can't see how anyone can stay here another 5 years, let alone 10 years! Good luck to you! Hoping no more than two, probably one! Just eligible last year.

started in 76 right out of Air force. 5 years partime preload at about 4 bucks and hour. Drove for three years and over 30 years in management. Many TIMEs I asked myself IF i should have gone MANAGEMENT. i am now 57 retired and have free medical and a great retirement. I wish all management front line and drivers the best brcause we are the ones who made this company. I only hope we take care of our future retires. One thing I always remembered is treat people the way you would treat yourself, I think I was fair to many and wish the best to all of you. Don/t get me wrong I had to crush a few over the years.but never enjoyed it.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
That's great , which UPS do you work out of ?
Friendly reminder, we don't post personal info on the public forum.

You are responsible for protecting your own privacy and respecting the privacy of others. This means no posting of your own or any other person's full name, email addresses, work or home locations, job titles, phone numbers, addresses, Social Security numbers, or any other personally identifiable or private information.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/help/terms

Seems like the following may be of interest to you too:

No solicitations, donation requests or advertisements are allowed in any way shape or form. This includes the use of our domain/website name in any print, email or virtual promotions or posting messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any other website, forum, app, email address, business, social networking campaign, MLM, activity, professional adviser or other entities that you have an affiliation with (ie. no self-promotion). This includes links in your signature.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That's great , which UPS do you work out of ?
Unknown.jpg