How long have you been retired and how long did it take you "slow down"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter and I were talking about this just the other day. It is going to be very hard for me to go from full throttle down to a slow idle.

I told her I could use a couple of grandkids to keep me occupied. (No, not Jerry Sandusky occupied)

texan

My daughter and I were talking about this just the other day. It is going to be very hard for me to go from full throttle down to a slow idle.

I told her I could use a couple of grandkids to keep me occupied. (No, not Jerry Sandusky occupied)

Grandchildren would keep you occupied. Trust me on that one. I know. :youreright:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Having ACTUALLY been retired since 2000, I know you need to make your own activity and interests and not rely on anyone, family or otherwise, to entertain you. Family, grandkids or whatever can be a welcome interruption to your busy days.

If you don't have some sort of interest or hobby (drinking doesn't count), you're screwed.

Some activities are....golf, garage sales, travel, games clubs like bridge or mahjong, crafts, photography, painting, etc. There are so many interests to pursue.....get one or two.

If you are coming off an active job, maybe joining a gym is a good idea.

rod

Retired 22 years
I started throttling down about a year before I retired (extra OT builds the old nest egg up fast you know). By throttling down I mean I just started doing everything by the book. Its a good safe way to build up your retirement fund and drive management nuts at the same time. Once retired I had no problem doing things at my own pace. Been retired 10 years and 7 months.

hembone

My wife told me, you didn't slow down. You went from 90 to 0 instantly.

hembone

Having ACTUALLY been retired since 2000, I know you need to make your own activity and interests and not rely on anyone, family or otherwise, to entertain you. Family, grandkids or whatever can be a welcome interruption to your busy days.

If you don't have some sort of interest or hobby (drinking doesn't count), you're screwed.

Some activities are....golf, garage sales, travel, games clubs like bridge or mahjong, crafts, photography, painting, etc. There are so many interests to pursue.....get one or two.

If you are coming off an active job, maybe joining a gym is a good idea.
Great post.
Thanks.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Be aware, when you plan things, thinking you'll be around your kids and grandkids, then good old 'what's his name' gets a job in Omaha, Nebraska that he can't pass up........congrats! Now what do you do with 18 hours a day. Find interests and hobbies to prepare. We all try to prepare financially, but what do we do with all of our time?

None of my kids live in my state. Although they live in my favorite places to vacation.

rod

Retired 22 years
When someone asks me what I do now that I'm retired I usually say "anything I want to". Or I tell them "I've got nothing to do and all day long to do it". Its not bad now that I've been retired for so long but you would be surprised at the number of "friends" that almost hate you because you can retire and they can't. I've said it many times before but once again--Thank you Teamsters Union.

raceanoncr

Been officially retired since Sep, 2010. Unofficially, was retired way before then.

Activities? Like Rod said, ANYTHING I WANT TO!

Don't hafta work. Don't wanna work. Only doing things I want to now.

brownelf

When I retire from UPS, I don't plan to slow down. I'll slow down when I die.
+1, I've worked too long and hard for the last 35yrs for this time in my life to arrive, have no plans for slowing down either. Have a little over a year till I'm 55 and will wait at least until we get to see the new contract before setting a date. From what I've seen around here from my friends who've retired, the hardest part is going to be keeping the smile off my face.

hembone

+1, I've worked too long and hard for the last 35yrs for this time in my life to arrive, have no plans for slowing down either. Have a little over a year till I'm 55 and will wait at least until we get to see the new contract before setting a date. From what I've seen around here from my friends who've retired, the hardest part is going to be keeping the smile off my face.
You guys act like there's something wrong with relaxing. After you retire come back on BC and tell me you don't enjoy sleeping until YOU want to get up.