How long have you been retired and how long did it take you "slow down"?

downtime8763

I've been retired for six months. Part time until I was 21 then full time package car until last year when I turned 55. 37 years total. Only recently have I become normal.

Congrats on your retirement,to have stayed 37 yrs and say your normal after 6mo is not normal.:) I know I was sentenced to 37yrs till I turned 55 as well.!!!!!

OldManAllowance

Retired @ 55 with 34 years...it's been 9 months now and I have become another person. No longer high strung, no longer do I swear at things or other people! Some of my former co workers comment on my "change". It's a tough life but we are rewarded..that is if you can make it to the end. Congratulations to all who have made the jump.

rod

Retired 22 years
Retired @ 55 with 34 years...it's been 9 months now and I have become another person. No longer high strung, no longer do I swear at things or other people! Some of my former co workers comment on my "change". It's a tough life but we are rewarded..that is if you can make it to the end. Congratulations to all who have made the jump.

Wait til you get a little older---that will all come back.:wheelchai

AirTechSpec

About a year now. I was 66 but only had 11 years in (still wet behind the ears). I slowed down almost immediately, but I've had to say "no" recently to a couple of things because I was starting to get too busy.

moreluck

golden ticket member
About a year now. I was 66 but only had 11 years in (still wet behind the ears). I slowed down almost immediately, but I've had to say "no" recently to a couple of things because I was starting to get too busy.

Uh,oh, looks like I lost "the oldest member on Brown Cafe" title.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm also getting better looking (if thats even possible).

I can shoot that idea down real quick.......we were walking down the aisle of faucets in Lowe's and I saw the 2 sided magnifier mirror for the bathroom and made the mistake of checking out the "big" side. All I saw was this wrinkled old prune looking back at me.

I remarked to hubby, where are the people that we married? It's a real eye-opener !

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Been retired 5 years. Slowed down immediately. Started sleeping til noon, because I could stay up until 2 or 3 am. Stay in touch with folks I worked with, feel sorry for them still stuck in ratrace. Don't miss one frackin' moment of the idiocy. Love the dividend checks. and the pension checks.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
For anyone who retires and feels like they are missing something...go do volunteer work. UPS people are GOLDEN for non-profits. The Red Cross is a particular fit: I was discussing with the local RC CEO that I would enjoy driving an Emergency Response Vehicle. He laughed and said I would have to learn not to go through the McDonalds drivethrough with it. I explained that I knew all about trucks, and that they were bigger than cars!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I can shoot that idea down real quick.......we were walking down the aisle of faucets in Lowe's and I saw the 2 sided magnifier mirror for the bathroom and made the mistake of checking out the "big" side. All I saw was this wrinkled old prune looking back at me.

I remarked to hubby, where are the people that we married? It's a real eye-opener !

That's like when you're walking down the street in the bright sunshine and you glance over at the plate glass window and see your reflection and just for a split second, before you realize that it's you, you see yourself the way you really look to everyone else instead of the image that you carry around in your head.

Retired Nov 20th --Best thing i have ever done ----------------I was a feeder driver ----------- so i didnt even work that hard --Luv retirement and the check comes like clockwork