How long have you seen someone worked before they make book?

Oak

I'm just now coming up on two years seniority, so I haven't been around all that long. Let me see. Things like the union negotiated raises, vacations, representation, benefits package, etc.

Do you really think any of these would exist at the PT level without the union? I see the $5-6 a week in dues a pretty darn good buy.

How many FTers do you suppose are there that had no intention of making this their career are still here? The number might be higher than you think. Yes, even those that went to school and got their degree.

shagNasty

How many FTers do you suppose are there that had no intention of making this their career are still here? The number might be higher than you think. Yes, even those that went to school and got their degree.

"This is just a temp job while I'm going to school." - me. 22 freaking years ago.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My preloader is a FT college student who has no intention of making UPS his career. He rarely, if ever, uses his medical benefits and will not have the 5 years needed to be vested so there will not be a pension waiting for him when he turns 65. He would be an ideal candidate if UPS ever decided to offer a higher hourly wage in lieu of benefits to PTers.

On the other hand, I think every FTer needs to be in the union, regardless of whether you work in a closed shop or RTW state.

upschuck

My preloader is a FT college student who has no intention of making UPS his career. He rarely, if ever, uses his medical benefits and will not have the 5 years needed to be vested so there will not be a pension waiting for him when he turns 65. He would be an ideal candidate if UPS ever decided to offer a higher hourly wage in lieu of benefits to PTers.

On the other hand, I think every FTer needs to be in the union, regardless of whether you work in a closed shop or RTW state.
A lot of people start working here PT have no intention of making this a career long endeavor, but end up spending 35+ years here. I live in a college town and this might be different elsewhere.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A lot of people start working here PT have no intention of making this a career long endeavor, but end up spending 35+ years here. I live in a college town and this might be different elsewhere.
While factually true, it does not relate to the quoted post?

upschuck

While factually true, it does not relate to the quoted post?
Have you read the first two sentences of the quote? Relates directly to that. UpState state that his preloader has no intentions....., and I stated a lot of people that retired here had no intentions of making this a career, and those early years increased the pension he got. Health insurance is something that I hope my family never have to use, but am sure glad I have it.