How many calories are we burning during a shift?

anonymous4

Has anyone ever attempted to get a rough estimate per position? I'm a work out addict, and I'd like to know, because I need to up my calories accordingly so I don't lose LBM.

I started working at UPS last week as a sorter on the most difficult sort in the building. I am well above the "expected" PPH because I studied the zips before my first full days this weekend. We have been getting hammered and the rate from start to finish is intense. Honestly, I don't see how loaders/unloaders are burning much more than some of the harder sorts. 70% of my packages are on belts taller than me. I also take the end where there aren't any C-Slides. I would guess 1200-1500 calories per 4-5 hour shift.

Props to you guys for working this job for ANY amount of time. I dare someone to come up with a harder job physically.

I would just worry about learning to do the job the safest way possible. If you hurt yourself they will blame you and the injury could last forever.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Way too many variables to give you an estimate. Google up an online calculator where you can input your height, weight, age, and level of physical activity, there are several that will estimate your total daily calorie needs based on that information, probably in the neighborhood of 3500 a day. When people talk about hard this job is I assume they've never tried landscaping or roofing, among other things. This job really isn't that hard.

robot

Has A Large Member
hrm..i think i burn about -700 calories a day....i think i've gained about 40ish lbs since i've gone to feeders...ugh

148.jpg
148.jpg

av8torntn

When people talk about hard this job is I assume they've never tried landscaping or roofing, among other things. This job really isn't that hard.

One summer in college my job was to carry bundles of shingles up a ladder all day. Had to be among the hardest work I've ever done.

browniehound

I burn just enough calories to allow me to drink 40 beers a week and still maintain my somewhat gooey physique.

I was going to say the same thing. Food intake is not my problem as I don't eat that much. Its the 2 cases of beer I drink every weekend and the meal I eat at 2 AM when I'm done drinking the beer that kills me!

srvhero

"leastbest"
I purchased a body bugg (Calorie Management System)..I am a driver. It estimates that I burn 4500-5000 calories a day. I intake around 2500 calories a day, but still am overweight...go figure...

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to be part of that 2-3 cases a week crowd (and never gained weight until I quit smoking) but now its more like a six pack or two a week. It has more to do with the stricter DUI laws than anything else. I still love an ice cold one on a hot day. :beerhat:

I'm on vacation next week and I'm going to diet. It's going to be a liquid diet of beer and I hope to lose a couple pounds keep your fingers crossed for me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I purchased a body bugg (Calorie Management System)..I am a driver. It estimates that I burn 4500-5000 calories a day. I intake around 2500 calories a day, but still am overweight...go figure...

The job has it's moments but even the toughest route wouldn't burn that amount of calories. The job does allow me to eat and drink what I wan't although I am not a junk food or fast food guy that often. If I sat at a desk all day I would be a blubbering mass of flesh.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

The job has it's moments but even the toughest route wouldn't burn that amount of calories. The job does allow me to eat and drink what I wan't although I am not a junk food or fast food guy that often. If I sat at a desk all day I would be a blubbering mass of flesh.
I agree, you might want to get that body bugg calibrated.

rod

Retired 22 years
I just had to get up and put a fresh battery in my mouse------that must have burned about a 1000 calories.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
As a preloader, I can lose 10 pounds a week easily. You'll walk any where up to 4 - 6 miles a night while carrying different weight types. As well, I do eregs 5 days a week and get pulled to charge or help other preloaders. I dont mind being a god at work, sure sometimes it gets old, but in my opinion its good training for the future. Its is said and I've heard that UPS prefers preloaders to drive. It would be obvious to anyone who does work inside and around the cars all the time and walks as much doing so. The job really is all about walking, thus is easy if you can get it in the right package car and / or conditioned enough to. Over all, I dont feel as if to drive is so important; as to make money off of UPS would only take time.

As for calories, it ranges person to person. My self am 6'6'' and 230 pounds. I'm sure my calorie output is through the roof as compared to the average 130 - 170 pound preloader here.

browniehound

I used to be part of that 2-3 cases a week crowd (and never gained weight until I quit smoking) but now its more like a six pack or two a week. It has more to do with the stricter DUI laws than anything else. I still love an ice cold one on a hot day. :beerhat:

Rod, I hear ya. I quit smoking in 1995 and within a month or two I was 10 pounds heavier. I believe cigarettes curb your appetitie. I would eat my normal serving of a meal and then have a cigarette and not feel hungry. Without the cigarette I would go for seconds and I think this is how we gain the weight from quiting...