How many calories burned on the job?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by surviv'n_it, Aug 29, 2011.

1. surviv'n_it

surviv'n_it New Member

I was just curious if anyone used any type of tool to track the calories burned on the job. I use the cardiotrainer app for my phone which tracks my workouts outside of work but it only records speed and distance to give an approx calorie burn. It wouldnt work on the job.

I would just like to find the average calories I burn each day on the job. Would a heart monitor be accurate for this? Thanks.
  2. goetface

goetface New Member

1 pump and two dumps.
  3. srvhero

srvhero "leastbest"

I have used a "bodybugg" before. I hit 5200 one day. Most days I averaged around 4500.
  4. sweatyguy

sweatyguy New Member

Resi route I used to run, I wore step counter 5 days and averaged around 10 miles walking...I was SCARED to ever try wearing the step counter again... ;-)
  5. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Ask someone in feeders...the Q is

"How many calories padded on the job?"
  6. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

As I get older not enough.
  7. Aaron

Aaron New Member

You would need a heart rate monitor, and a good one. I've thought about wearing mine for a week to get an average. Decided I didn't want to wear it all day, and I didn't want to burn through those watch batteries so quickly.

Since I wear one for workouts, and know what my heart does, I doubt you burn that much at work since your body is use to what you are doing all day. When you do a routine you haven't done before your calorie burn will be high, after doing that routine a couple of times your calorie burn drops.
  8. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

If you use the methods you hardly burn any calories.
  9. portlandbrown

portlandbrown New Member

2600 calories estimated
  10. working up a sweat

working up a sweat Active Member

I don't know how many calories that I burn working inside for a few hours. When i get home i strip off a my totally sweat drenched T-shirt and look down at my flat belly. Guys half my age (53) wish they can be as in good shape. UPS sells and gives out T-shirts for employees that say "Body by UPS".
  11. 'Lord Brown's bidding'

'Lord Brown's bidding' Well-Known Member

This is an old thread, but a question I wonder if anyone has answered. Currently using MyFitnessPal to track my calories taken in, but no clear idea on how many are burned.

I am 5'11', 255.2 (was 256 this morning, yea me!), so my BMR (basal metabolic rate, or how many calories i burn just by estimating?

My route is a bulky trip, typically 110-120 stops, 40-50 of which are businesses, and 310-330 pieces average. Generally pick up 100 pieces. Typically out on area from 9:15-7:20.

Right now I estimate I burn 3100 calories on the job, plus my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, or how many calories I burn just by being alive) of 2200 puts me at 5100/day. Is 3100 calories low?
  12. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

Nothing to do with your age bro. Its that Friday night calorie binge more than likely.:peaceful:
  13. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

I think most people here burn more calories b!tching about UPS then they burn at UPS.
  14. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Our methods, not theirs, including "telematics override"! Seasoned veterans know them well!
  15. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

AJ google Nike sports band. Might be what you looking for.
  16. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

Not enough is the best answer I can give. Driving is the easiest job I've ever had. Especially since I started following the methods years ago.
  17. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

If your not in Feeders and are wearing a size 32 to 34 " pants,,,,,,,,,,,, don't even worry about it !!
  18. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

​Doesn't Feeders pants start at 40?
  19. center managers start at 50. and division managers start at 60!
  20. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

And they are alotted 10 cartons of cigs a month too.