How many calories burned on the job?

surviv'n_it

I was just curious if anyone used any type of tool to track the calories burned on the job. I use the cardiotrainer app for my phone which tracks my workouts outside of work but it only records speed and distance to give an approx calorie burn. It wouldnt work on the job.

I would just like to find the average calories I burn each day on the job. Would a heart monitor be accurate for this? Thanks.

sweatyguy

Resi route I used to run, I wore step counter 5 days and averaged around 10 miles walking...I was SCARED to ever try wearing the step counter again... ;-)

Aaron

You would need a heart rate monitor, and a good one. I've thought about wearing mine for a week to get an average. Decided I didn't want to wear it all day, and I didn't want to burn through those watch batteries so quickly.

Since I wear one for workouts, and know what my heart does, I doubt you burn that much at work since your body is use to what you are doing all day. When you do a routine you haven't done before your calorie burn will be high, after doing that routine a couple of times your calorie burn drops.

working up a sweat

I don't know how many calories that I burn working inside for a few hours. When i get home i strip off a my totally sweat drenched T-shirt and look down at my flat belly. Guys half my age (53) wish they can be as in good shape. UPS sells and gives out T-shirts for employees that say "Body by UPS".

'Lord Brown's bidding'

This is an old thread, but a question I wonder if anyone has answered. Currently using MyFitnessPal to track my calories taken in, but no clear idea on how many are burned.

I am 5'11', 255.2 (was 256 this morning, yea me!), so my BMR (basal metabolic rate, or how many calories i burn just by estimating?

My route is a bulky trip, typically 110-120 stops, 40-50 of which are businesses, and 310-330 pieces average. Generally pick up 100 pieces. Typically out on area from 9:15-7:20.

Right now I estimate I burn 3100 calories on the job, plus my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, or how many calories I burn just by being alive) of 2200 puts me at 5100/day. Is 3100 calories low?