How many here are in "Bonus" Centers?

Upsdriver88

UPSDriver88 is one of those guys that rakes in the bonus and loves the high fives he gets from management for "a job well done." The look on this type of driver's face once he gets injured on the job or laid off (due to him and his follow bonus babies running themselves out of their own jobs) is priceless. The high fives stop once those things happen. Young and dumb comes to mind.

First off, I'm a union steward in my center. And I take pride in the fact that I do, and get rewarded for doing a good job. I have to defend people every day who look at the contract for everyway to get out of doing work. I dr to back doors, bag packages, and all my commercial stops know my name and most have my cell number. If you can't/won't make bonus so be it, but how about not running down and belitting those that can/do. You'd be surprised how much time you can save by having a quick on the car routine. It kills me how most of the people who complain about the bonus are the same ones who come in right at their start times, and then take 10-15 mins just to get to their cars.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
First off, I'm a union steward in my center. And I take pride in the fact that I do, and get rewarded for doing a good job. I have to defend people every day who look at the contract for everyway to get out of doing work. I dr to back doors, bag packages, and all my commercial stops know my name and most have my cell number. If you can't/won't make bonus so be it, but how about not running down and belitting those that can/do. You'd be surprised how much time you can save by having a quick on the car routine. It kills me how most of the people who complain about the bonus are the same ones who come in right at their start times, and then take 10-15 mins just to get to their cars.
I completely agree with you. Im amazed how many times people are asking me about my methods compared to thiers, and we always come to a road block when they ask me how long do I spend sorting/routing out my load? My answer is always NONE! We have EDD now and quite frankly I know that the load is not nearly 100% but its definitely good enough to just stop and grab the package give or take a few seconds. Methods are really what it usually comes down to. Also I would like to add that running is not the answer, running just adds to your problems in my oppinion. Find a good routine and stick to it, for heavan sakes as many times as you drive, park, and deliver in a day you outta be pretty dang good at it by now.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
there are people that are better at doing things than others,, i love bonus,, it motivates me like crazy,, and i do the right thing on all stops, can get up to 3 hrs a day this time of year ,, and worst part, ive got 27 yrs in,,i remember the lazy dudes telling me when i started,,"oh,, wait a few years, you will be hurt and then you will need the union to save you and we will say told you so" most are long gone and im still killin it !!!!!

SKAGITDRIVER

we are in the bonus system here and as a cover driver there are some routes that I can bonus on and other routes that I and the bid driver can't come close to beating and I find myself working harder on the route that I can't bonus on just to see if I can how stupid is that?

Re-Raise

I guess I would compare it to taking bids for painting my house.

If one painter tried to finish as quickly as he could while the other painter took his time for the same pay, I would prefer the painter who took the time to do it right.

We aren't talking about running scratch or a half hour under. I do that on a regular basis.

Some of you are saying you run 3 hours under on a regular basis. We have a driver who I will call "Dan" because that is his name.

He is the first to arrive sometimes 1 1/2 hours before start time. We have a saying that there is no D A N in team. The rest of us in my loop work together. If I can take an air on my way which makes sense I will. It helps another driver and it helps provide service to our paying customers. Joe will never help another driver because it might keep him out later than 4 p.m.

He will never run a misload, he will just leave it at one of your last pickups. He doesn't have a problem driving to your pickup because it adds to his "bonus".

I have ridden with him and I have seen him interact with the customers and it is not pretty. He thrusts the board into their face and stands there silently for them to sign. He doesn't go up the steps on porches because he can toss the packages from the yard. He never knocks and he never rings door bells.

I can't belive that this is what the company prefers over a scratch driver.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
It kills me how most of the people who complain about the bonus are the same ones who come in right at their start times, and then take 10-15 mins just to get to their cars.

Do you get paid to get there earlier than start time?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

If one painter tried to finish as quickly as he could while the other painter took his time for the same pay, I would prefer the painter who took the time to do it right.

We aren't talking about running scratch or a half hour under. I do that on a regular basis.

Some of you are saying you run 3 hours under on a regular basis. We have a driver who I will call "Joe" because that is his name.

He is the first to arrive sometimes 1 1/2 hours before start time. We have a saying that there is no J O E in team. The rest of us in my loop work together. If I can take an air on my way which makes sense I will. It helps another driver and it helps provide service to our paying customers. Joe will never help another driver because it might keep him out later than 4 p.m.

He will never run a misload, he will just leave it at one of your last pickups. He doesn't have a problem driving to your pickup because it adds to his "bonus".

I have ridden with him and I have seen him interact with the customers and it is not pretty. He thrusts the board into their face and stands there silently for them to sign. He doesn't go up the steps on porches because he can toss the packages from the yard. He never knocks and he never rings door bells.

If this is what JOE needs to do to bonus then he is a discrace, but my name isnt JOE and unfortunately when the word bonus is brought up some think of JOE way to quickly. I bonus by doing my job, what ever that day says it to be. My customers for the most part all have my cell number, I seperate product for customers according to where they want it at thier location, my motto is "Im a service provider the customer fills in the blank". Do yourself and us a favor and tell JOE that its actually ok for customers to see more then just the tale end of the truck after he makes a delivery.

Upsdriver88

Do you get paid to get there earlier than start time?

As a matter fact I do. I have a daily a.m. meeting with the center manager over possible trouble with my guys or any off the record problems that might be brewing. I have a good relationship with the current center team, and we try to resolve issues before they get out of hand. I never hurts to a least glace at the load before you leave, a stitch in time save nine.

Upsdriver88

Some of you are saying you run 3 hours under on a regular basis. We have a driver who I will call "Dan" because that is his name.

He is the first to arrive sometimes 1 1/2 hours before start time. We have a saying that there is no D A N in team. The rest of us in my loop work together. If I can take an air on my way which makes sense I will. It helps another driver and it helps provide service to our paying customers. Joe will never help another driver because it might keep him out later than 4 p.m.

I know drivers that are like the one speak of, and more often than not, they are the exception, not the rule. Most drivers that make bonus like getting their work done sooner to be home with family. The bonus is a plus to be sure, but given the option of staying on the truck until 1900 or being home by 1700 and getting paid until 1900, any sane person would take the latter. The guys that bitch and moan about not being able to scratch their runs or make bonus, if you have the seniority, bid on another run or just shut up. I hear the older guys complain all the time about this guy or that guy and my response is always the same: bid on his run or shut up. And these are the same guys who never say thank you when the company sends one of us to take 5 stops off them so they will make 9.5 and be an hour and half over.....again.

Re-Raise

As a matter fact I do. I have a daily a.m. meeting with the center manager over possible trouble with my guys or any off the record problems that might be brewing. I have a good relationship with the current center team, and we try to resolve issues before they get out of hand. I never hurts to a least glace at the load before you leave, a stitch in time save nine.

How exactly do you record this little meeting in other work? I have never seen the term I would use for it listed there.

screamin chicken

I can only speak for myself and tell you I do my job the way it's supposed to be done, dr back door if needed, bag with DR bags, answers questions if needed, and I still run under everyday so as a stock holder you should rest assured that I am doing the job to the best of my ability while taking care of the customer (and banking some Benjamins:wink2:).

I also am banking, maybe you should talk about the ones that take there time just to get by and work all the OT when it's not neede thats saving the company alot of money, at least i am doing my job and not wasting the company in anyway.

And for you Re-Raise are you jelous, don't hate me because I was raised to give 110 % at everything i do, maybe you should try it.

Re-Raise

I also am banking, maybe you should talk about the ones that take there time just to get by and work all the OT when it's not neede thats saving the company alot of money, at least i am doing my job and not wasting the company in anyway.

And for you Re-Raise are you jelous, don't hate me because I was raised to give 110 % at everything i do, maybe you should try it.

Yeah , jealous of your spelling prowess. I guess you only gave 109% IN SCHOOL.

Again I will ask as a stockholder, not as a 25 yr employee. Why would I want UPS to pay their drivers to drive as fast as possible , driver release packages as quickly as possible, and be as impatient as possible to our paying customers? And then pay them to sit at home.

I understand that at the wages we make the company probably should hold us to certain production guidlines. But why would the company want to dispatch drivers at 11.5 to 12 hour days only to see them cut every corner possible.

Wouldn't it be better for the company I own stock in to have the drivers perform their duties in a professional and safe manner.

Maybe even taking the time to answer a customer question or bag their packages in bad weather.

I think some bonus drivers, like the ones posting here, are very shortsighted and selfish and it hurts our company in the long run.
Thats why bonus is the devil and your making a deal with him. Use your methods i've seen alot of drivers get themselves in ALOT of trouble with there bonus. They think there owed the world.

Overpaid Union Thug

Keep running up that bonus and you won't have to worry about defending those contract abusers anymore. They will be laid off. Keep running for your bonus and you will eventually be expected to do more and more work and the super hero mentality that you bonus babies tend to have will be gone because all of the routes that you guys touched will need 10 hours of work just to plan 8. Keep it up and see.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Bonus is not a good term to use. You don't make extra money for moving faster and more efficiently. You simply make the same money but take less time to do it.

SWORDFISH

I am, just wondering if ya like the bonus center idea. Many people in my center, myself included, like the bonus plan. Personally, I will make close $90,000 this year, and no I do not kill myself doing it. I like being home by 5 and getting paid like I worked 'til 7:30!

WOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want your allowances. I think alot of drivers would like the bonus system if those kind of allowances existed in more places. Most allowances to be beaten you would have to skip your breaks, run and work during your lunch time.

Re-Raise

Bonus is not a good term to use. You don't make extra money for moving faster and more efficiently. You simply make the same money but take less time to do it.

Agreed. That is why I have a hard time believing their center dispatches 11.5 and 12 hour days on a regular basis. Or are they claiming that their center just dispatches their routes at this level because they are so good at their jobs.

If these 3 hour under bonus drivers are such hard workers why can't they work 11.5 for 11.5 in pay. Maybe they give 110% until it gets dark?

upsgrunt

What will those drivers say when they start getting dispatched with 13 or 14 hour loads just to keep them out until later? They just dug their own hole because the more you do the more you will get eventually.