How many here are in "Bonus" Centers?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And round and round we go.
It's a natural arrogance, for some conscience, for some not, that let us believe that we are ahead of the curve.
Fact of the matter is these routes are studied assuming optimal conditions and perfect methods.
With that in mind, to bonus at a rate of more than our personal time is unexplainable within the methods.
It's this hypocrisy, in light of UPS's "focus" on safety, that really rubs me the wrong way.
So go ahead and fool yourself into thinking that your just that good, but we all know that your just cheating the system, with UPS's blessing.
I read these posts here where people are longing for validation.
It stinks of guilt.
Instead of dislocating your shoulders patting yourselves on the back, you'd be better served and more respected saying "don't hate the player, hate the game".

P.S. I too on occasion make a little bonus when I need an early out. Not very often, but occasionally. That being said, I know how it is achieved and it's not by the methods.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
And round and round we go.
It's a natural arrogance, for some conscience, for some not, that let us believe that we are ahead of the curve.
Fact of the matter is these routes are studied assuming optimal conditions and perfect methods.
With that in mind, to bonus at a rate of more than our personal time is unexplainable within the methods.
It's this hypocrisy, in light of UPS's "focus" on safety, that really rubs me the wrong way.
So go ahead and fool yourself into thinking that your just that good, but we all know that your just cheating the system, with UPS's blessing.
I read these posts here where people are longing for validation.
It stinks of guilt.
Instead of dislocating your shoulders patting yourselves on the back, you'd be better served and more respected saying "don't hate the player, hate the game".

P.S. I too on occasion make a little bonus when I need an early out. Not very often, but occasionally. That being said, I know how it is achieved and it's not by the methods.

Awfully well put. Hard for me to disagree with anything said there.
Anyone who has seen their ability to bonus change as drastically as most understand that it's possible to bonus, but in most cases it's not achieved with "proficient methods" but with the tried and true tricks we all learn as we go along. There are also obviously some routes with fatter allowances that provide more opportunity for bonus at a less than intense pace. I've done it too when I covered many routes and could see the difference between routes in my center. My biggest under day was like -2.75 hours about 15 years ago. It has been reigned in more recently. If I can bonus by more than say - .25 it is extremely rare, and I still bust my butt at work. I just implement every method with more sincerity these days. Same methods with the same driver on different routes will always produce different results. It is just a matter of a few mouse clicks and "poof" you're in another range.

Re-Raise

I also am banking, maybe you should talk about the ones that take there time just to get by and work all the OT when it's not neede thats saving the company alot of money, at least i am doing my job and not wasting the company in anyway.

And for you Re-Raise are you jelous, don't hate me because I was raised to give 110 % at everything i do, maybe you should try it.

Picked on? When, while I was playing college football? There are two different forms of (there, their) a lot is two words, and I am glad to see you aren't

"wasting the company in any way"

I wouldn't hold out hope of me ever being jealous of you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He probaly earns bonus under the same premise as he composes and spells. He's in a hurry so it's OK if he doesn't do it right. I must admit though, I'd be lost without spell check and T9 prediction.

ol'browneye

He probaly earns bonus under the same premise as he composes and spells. He's in a hurry so it's OK if he doesn't do it right. I must admit though, I'd be lost without spell check and T9 prediction.

Well apparently you didn't use spell check on that last post!:wink2:

(I gotta have more cowbell!)

MobileBA

In feeder bonus is going to get a cup of coffee while you wait half an hour for the supervisor to seal the door. Bonus is waiting for your tractor to return for half an hour while 10 spare tractors sit mothballed. Bonus is being told to come back with exactly as many trailers as you left with and having to wait at a distant building for an hour waiting for empty trailers. I think I prefer my bonus?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
again people ive bid on and been on many routes , for me,, i have never been on a route that i could not pull bonus on, i dont understand how people dont run bonus,, sorry to say that , but after 27 years of pulling bonus my body still is goin strong and im still doin it, .. and here is my biggest problem,,,, it seems those that allways stay out over 9/5 and cry about too much work allways have to bring bonus drivers into the mix ,,,as they whine about having too much work and staying out too long. I could care less if you use the union as a crutch and stay out all night, go for it,, just dont tell me my way is wrong

Upsdriver88

In a perfect world, we could all ride together on our routes and see who does what, and how they do it. No two drivers are the same and no two routes are the same. I started this thread because I was curious if other centers had the same diagreements with bonus as we have in our center. And indeed they do. There is always the guy who is rude to customers, drives too fast, and doesn't care about customer service in every center, mine included. There are also several drivers who will always be an hour and a half over regardless of what their plan day turns out to be. But to act like people who make bonus somehow cheat the system or don't do the job correctly is absurd. With EDD and now all the telematics sensors on the car, you can't do the job wrong or you are in the center manager's office with me or some other steward. I guess we can all agree to disagree, but all you haters of the bonus and those who get it remember this: when you get in trouble on your run, who gets sent to help you? The guy making bonus! Try to at least act like you apperciate the help, because I can promise you, that guy would rather be at home.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In a perfect world, we could all ride together on our routes and see who does what, and how they do it. No two drivers are the same and no two routes are the same. I started this thread because I was curious if other centers had the same diagreements with bonus as we have in our center. And indeed they do. There is always the guy who is rude to customers, drives too fast, and doesn't care about customer service in every center, mine included. There are also several drivers who will always be an hour and a half over regardless of what their plan day turns out to be. But to act like people who make bonus somehow cheat the system or don't do the job correctly is absurd. With EDD and now all the telematics sensors on the car, you can't do the job wrong or you are in the center manager's office with me or some other steward. I guess we can all agree to disagree, but all you haters of the bonus and those who get it remember this: when you get in trouble on your run, who gets sent to help you? The guy making bonus! Try to at least act like you apperciate the help, because I can promise you, that guy would rather be at home.

That's just it 88!!
You hit the nail on the head and didn't even realize it.
A perfect world?
No, but theoretically the time study strives to represent just that.
Are any two routes the same?
No, but what they measure on each is the same.
A 20lb.-16" by 12" by 10" cardboard box will always be just that, regardless the route.
A mile will always be 5260', regardless the route.
The speed limit is what is, regardless the route.
To drive faster is to risk an accident per the company.
The prescribed, recommended walk pace will be what it is, regardless the route.
To walk/run faster is to risk injury per the company.
And so it goes on down the line.
So to not see the hypocrisy of the company rewarding drivers who "beat" these standards is incomprehensible to me.
Once again, I'm not hating the player, I'm hating the game.
More so the the hypocritical policy.
I need not ride with you to know that you are either cheating these standards in one form or another, or your time study is inaccurate.
Either way I've been around far to long to accept somebody peeing on my shoes all the while telling me it's raining.
I know better.
I too earn bonus from time to time, and it's not by observing the methods as prescribed by the company.
When they ask me to stop in the form of a warning letter I will.
I'm not asking you to stop, but to see it for what it is.
As a steward I would hope you would give this thought process some serious consideration if you're not to wrapped up in being a hero.

Upsdriver88

That's just it 88!!
You hit the nail on the head and didn't even realize it.
A perfect world?
No, but theoretically the time study strives to represent just that.
Are any two routes the same?
No, but what they measure on each is the same.
A 20lb.-16" by 12" by 10" cardboard box will always be just that, regardless the route.
A mile will always be 5260', regardless the route.
The speed limit is what is, regardless the route.
To drive faster is to risk an accident per the company.
The prescribed, recommended walk pace will be what it is, regardless the route.
To walk/run faster is to risk injury per the company.
And so it goes on down the line.
So to not see the hypocrisy of the company rewarding drivers who "beat" these standards is incomprehensible to me.
Once again, I'm not hating the player, I'm hating the game.
More so the the hypocritical policy.
I need not ride with you to know that you are either cheating these standards in one form or another, or your time study is inaccurate.
Either way I've been around far to long to accept somebody peeing on my shoes all the while telling me it's raining.
I know better.
I too earn bonus from time to time, and it's not by observing the methods as prescribed by the company.
When they ask me to stop in the form of a warning letter I will.
I'm not asking you to stop, but to see it for what it is.
As a steward I would hope you would give this thought process some serious consideration if you're not to wrapped up in being a hero.

You have to be kidding me. Making bonus makes me a hero? Oh I see, you think that I believe that I'm a hero. I know people like you who think going as slow as possible is the correct method. They have their routes down so they know how many stops, packages, pickups ect.....they have to have to run under/over 9.5. Good for you. I can see it's pointless to argue with someone like you, you probably think no one could possible work harder and smarter than you. I know my job and the best way to do it, and that's all that matters in the end.

Re-Raise

I ' ll concede I agree with almost everything you have said here. As I said earlier I run pretty close to scratch every day but probably end the week with an hour or so of bonus.

If we had a vote I would not vote to remove it from our center. I guess I somehow found myself on the anti-bonus side when people started claiming to be making $100,000 plus by running 3 hours under every day with 12 hour dispatches.

If you are running a route in 3/4 the time UPS says it should take you using proper methods, I believe you are cutting corners on service or padding miles.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

Picked on? When, while I was playing college football?

Waterboy.......

Who uses the phrase "picked on" anyway? Are you in junior high?

And are the only people you know that can spell people that were "picked on"?

If you are offering to get me some water get your a%# in gear I am thirsty.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You have to be kidding me. Making bonus makes me a hero? Oh I see, you think that I believe that I'm a hero. I know people like you who think going as slow as possible is the correct method. They have their routes down so they know how many stops, packages, pickups ect.....they have to have to run under/over 9.5. Good for you. I can see it's pointless to argue with someone like you, you probably think no one could possible work harder and smarter than you. I know my job and the best way to do it, and that's all that matters in the end.

Your not reading what I said thoroughly as well as not remembering what you wrote yourself.
I said I too make some bonus.
So how does that make me somebody that goes as slow as possible?
As far as the hero thing, I was referring to this reoccurring thought process in your posts:

"but all you haters of the bonus and those who get it remember this: when you get in trouble on your run, who gets sent to help you? The guy making bonus! Try to at least act like you apperciate the help, because I can promise you, that guy would rather be at home."

Where we can agree tonight is that is pointless to ague with me, because I wasn't arguing with you. I was simply stating an opinion contrary to yours.
Don't get mad and respond with gibberish, counterpoint me.
Maybe in the end you'll sway me or we'll at least find some common ground.
Maybe not.
All I see to date is a guy who started a thread on bonus that gets mad at anybody that doesn't see things through his limited tunnel vision.
To go through life omnipotent is burden I don't care experience.
Hell just look at me, I found out tonight that I've been cheated out of 20' per mile for 43 years.
I don't see how I'll ever get that back.