How many miles would you estimate drivers walk a day?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ibleedbrown, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ibleedbrown

ibleedbrown Active Member

Has anyone ever worn a pedometer while driving to see how many miles they walk in a day?

2. klein

klein Für Meno :)

Haven't you learned from the newspaper boy ?
    You park and toss !

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Isn't "tossing" back a few how you lost your job?

To the OP--I have never been that curious so, no, I have never worn a pedometer.

4. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

I did and walked 6 Miles.

5. upsgrunt

upsgrunt Well-Known Member

It's not accurate, because you bounce up and down in the seat so much it gives you a high false reading.

6. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I walk a whole bunch.

7. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I don't walk. I meander....

8. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Every Day I'm Shuffling

[video=youtube;KGZjvRXUVgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZjvRXUVgs[/video]

9. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Would that be a "brisk pace" meander?

10. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

I think 6 is about average....when I first started running a mall route I brought a pedometer with me and I did just over 6 miles on 2 floors of a mall :O

11. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

Upsgrunt is right: a pedometer serves no purpose for us. The bouncing you do in that truck adds up miles. For me, the constant shifting also added miles. You're welcome to try, but don't expect an accurate reading.

12. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

13. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

I kind of thought it was alot for me, I had a manual tranny then, so Im thinking the shaking did have a lot to do with it. I borrowed it from my loader just outta curiosity. My walks are mostly short, so I was thinking maybe 3 would be about right. Anyway it feels like 20 anymore, LOL

14. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

No more than 2 or 3.

15. Paycheck

Paycheck New Member

I actually tested a pedometer on preload for a entire week and at the end of the week had walked over 17 miles. Also I have worn one on my route and have ended up with anywhere from 3 to 8 miles. It really depends on what kind of route you are on city route usually less and rural/ house call usually more. But it always seem like when i am having a good day I always wind up with the worse shop I could have either in the middle of the day or the end, Murphy's Law I suppose.

16. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

One of my buddies on Preload wore one for one day. After work, it said 3.8 miles.