How many of us upsers will leave after the 2013 contract............

packageguy

I've been talking to lots of upsers feeder drivers, package car drivers and clerks, and most of them say waiting to see what they get from this contact as far as pension and what kind of raise. most would leave because of all the changes and stops per car. Feeders getting warning letters for not doing speed limit, they call it stealing time, they just about had it.
What do you guys think.. and is it all over the country.....

Delivered

I think you'd see a mass exodus if UPS offered a decent buy out option to those with 20+ full time years. Other than that I just don't see it happening in the Central States unless the pension gets a huge bump, because all of those guys with 20+ know better to count on Central States staying afloat much longer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think you'd see a mass exodus if UPS offered a decent buy out option to those with 20+ full time years. Other than that I just don't see it happening in the Central States unless the pension gets a huge bump, because all of those guys with 20+ know better to count on Central States staying afloat much longer.

I'm confused---I thought UPS paid CSF $6B, pulled the UPSers out and put them in the UPS Pension Plan to ensure that their pension would be there when they retire. I know the retirees may get screwed but I thought the current employees were taken care of, much like they are doing in New England.

Back to the thread--I don't have the option of leaving until 2019 so I will have at least one more contract (2013-?).

Delivered

I'm confused---I thought UPS paid CSF $6B, pulled the UPSers out and put them in the UPS Pension Plan to ensure that their pension would be there when they retire. I know the retirees may get screwed but I thought the current employees were taken care of, much like they are doing in New England.

In Central States you could get as many as 3 Separate Checks when you retire.

1 From UPS for your PART_TIME years
1 From Central States for the years of service while that plan was in the contract
1 From the New UPS plan for your Full-Time years

The longer you were in Central States the worse off you are

If Central States goes under UPS does not have to pay you that amount Central States owes you, because UPS already paid on your behalf as part of the $6 Billion dollar payment.

Not to mention they it is all worded in the Contract, the New UPS Plan expires when the contract expires.

downtime8763

In Central States you could get as many as 3 Separate Checks when you retire.

1 From UPS for your PART_TIME years
1 From Central States for the years of service while that plan was in the contract
1 From the New UPS plan for your Full-Time years

The longer you were in Central States the worse off you are

If Central States goes under UPS does not have to pay you that amount Central States owes you, because UPS already paid on your behalf as part of the $6 Billion dollar payment.

Not to mention they it is all worded in the Contract, the New UPS Plan expires when the contract expires.

I retired last year and get:

1- for my PART-TIME years
2- from UPS/Teamster retirement
at 65 the Central states fund in to kick in and provide the majority of the retirement and UPS/Teamsters will make p the difference.However if the Central States is under/taken over by the Governments retirement insurance fund the UPS/Teamsters will (have it in writing) make up the difference to keep it at our original amount. In the next contract this could change who knows.

thessalonian13

What do you consider a descent buy out?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I can't think of any logical reason UPS would buy out a Union employee.

purplesky

There are thousands of older Upsers who walk with a limp or use some type of gadget to hold body parts together. Mostly union folks but there are some management folks from package and the hubs with used up bodies also.
Some people arent leaving ever because they didnt prepare for retirement 20 years ago. I AM AMAZED AT HOW MANY UPSERS DO NOT USE THE 401K TO HELP SAVE FOR RETIREMENT. I HAD A GUY TELLING ME RECENTLY THAT UPS AND THE TEAMSTERS STEAL MONEY FROM THE 401k. I tried to help him but he WAS SO SURE UPS IS STEALING FROM THE 401k I just gave up.

The teamster pension will be around in some form but IT WILL ONLY BE THE ICING ON THE CAKE. For management UPS STOCK IS THE WHOLE DAMN CAKE!:wink2:

The housing collapse has played a huge part in this retirement mess because not long ago HOUSES WERE PART OF ONES NEST EGG. Those days are bye bye until wages go up and people can buy houses again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
For management UPS STOCK IS THE WHOLE DAMN CAKE!:wink2:

I have to ask what you mean by this.
Most old-timer management UPSers have sold a lot of their UPS stock to diversify.
The new management don't really even consider the stock.
I think you may be living in the past.

purplesky

I have to ask what you mean by this.
Most old-timer management UPSers have sold a lot of their UPS stock to diversify.
The new management don't really even consider the stock.
I think you may be living in the past.

Management folks(Baby Boomers) that are nearing retirement are from the past and will leave UPS with lots of UPS stock wealth. I know some. I AM HAPPY FOR THEM.

Now the new UPS managment generation is a different story. They will retire in the future with much less reward for all their sacrifice and I think UPS is making a huge mistake not sharing as much pie with future management.

Alot of retiring managers are hush hush about their UPS stock wealth so they dont upset the young Upsers taking over UPSs future.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't care what happens---I'm not going back to work. My back up plan is to put the wife back to work.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I found out last week that I will be able to get health insurance from Central States when I turn 55 this May. I had previously thought that I had to be 57, it turns out that applies to UPS Freight employees. So I am currently rethinking about retiring earlier than I thought or working a little bit longer. The 2013 Contract will definitely be a deciding factor in the timing of my decision.

W

want to retire

I found out last week that I will be able to get health insurance from Central States when I turn 55 this May. I had previously thought that I had to be 57, it turns out that applies to UPS Freight employees. So I am currently rethinking about retiring earlier than I thought or working a little bit longer. The 2013 Contract will definitely be a deciding factor in the timing of my decision.

I have been labeled sad and pathetic, so take this with a grain of sodium.........I'm 50 with 32 years(30 full-time). Through my pathetic money mgt, rainy days and other things(mouths to feed and such) need to work for awhile. Simply, my daughter is in college, my home is not paid off and I have 2 other individuals who depend on me for shelter, food etc. If I retired, we would have no insurance. I'm not even elligible(for insurance) for 5-7 years(it's unclear) and it would only be a shadow of what we have now. I simply can't take a 60% cut in pay and not work. I don't think it makes any logical sense to give up 7 weeks vaction and $30 an hour.....no matter how much I hate it or how fast it's killing me. Unless the new contract is so bad, I'll be here. I have a chance to eventually make it to the top of my feeder roster (potentially) in the next ten years. I'm generally alot younger than most of the folks above me and the math of retirements(with exceptions) are in my favor. All predicated on my health and contracts of course.