How many of you drivers...

U

uber

Could have gone feeder if you wanted to, but decided to stay in package?

Why did you make that decision? I don't understand why guys in their 50's are doing package when they could be living the easy life in feeder.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This may surprise you but not everyone want to drive a feeder. The last thing that I want to do is drive an 18 wheeler down the Northway at 3 am in a snow storm. $.50/hr extra is not worth it to me.

U

uber

This may surprise you but not everyone want to drive a feeder. The last thing that I want to do is drive an 18 wheeler down the Northway at 3 am in a snow storm. $.50/hr extra is not worth it to me.

So you'd rather have to constantly get out of a package car at your old age and brave the conditions for $.50 less an hour? I sense less micro-management in feeder as well.

Gotcha.

S

speeddemon

If your feeder qualified in our district, and a position comes open in another part of the state, and they cant find anyone locally for the position, they can put you in it whether you want to move or not.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Could have gone feeder if you wanted to, but decided to stay in package?

Why did you make that decision? I don't understand why guys in their 50's are doing package when they could be living the easy life in feeder.
Just to enlighten you ,,feeders,,is easier,NOT Easy !! As noted by UPSTATE ,,a lot of guys don't want to be out all hrs of the night,, and alot of guys enjoy being home with the family... you also have a bunch of feeder drivers with 20 plus years who still won't see a summer vacation...lots of reasons not to want feeders,especially the way guys get bumped so often and your start times could change quite often !! I have been through all of this,but still prefer it over pkg and IM NOT 50 YET !!! LOL

diadman

I'm almost 50, been in pkg for over 25 years... Love it and I can out work the young brats. 22 years safe driving. 0 injuries plus the new politics are fun to me and getting me lots of overtime :D

rod

Retired 22 years
I have this thing about working nights----------------hated it. Beside that you get strange looks when people you know see you going into a bar a 8:00 in the morning for an after work drink.

jaker

trolling
Feeder driver is a little easier on the body and what not , but it's way harder on the family and some of us pick family

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
yes,it is a lot less pyhsical,but no less it beats you down,,driving for hours in the darkness,messed up family life,,messed up meals, and most of all your sleeping isn't what it should be, we don't have telematics,we have Ivis,wihch they keep tabs on us. You get out Sat in am and go back monday pm,,not a 3 day weekend as most would think. most guys are junk by Saturday ,,Sunday is a good family day, then monday your body gets back on a daytime sched,, and then its back to work.. good things are that you can get the yard done during the week as well as errands and chores...I like feeders,took a while to get used to it and am happy to get a summer vaca this year,guy below me has 23 yrs and failed to get one, we have all been in that boat...

Johney

Let me ask this here without starting a new thread. We have the feeder school bid list up now in our building for peak. There is a guy who signed his name who is now working a 22.3 job he has a lot of seniority and has a good chance of winning the bid. So here's my ? if he wins, does his 22.3 job go up for bid? As it is a peak feeder bid he will most likely get bumped back down, so does he go back to his 22.3 job that may or may not be bid or does he have to go back to pkg? I know a lot of real high senior guys who want no part of feeder and at the time didn't want the 22.3 jobs due to pay cuts. How would this play out? I know the guy would never want to go back to pkg so I'm thinking maybe he's working some type of secret deal.

yeldarb

Package car when you retire, might be more likely to have sore joints and some pain....
Feeders when you retire, more likely to have a heart attack.
Pick your poison.
I did both, hated working nights and being on call.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I work in an extended center with no bid options for feeder as our feeders come from Atlanta and Forest Park so it's a moot point. Even if I had the chance I'd stay in pkg because i HATE working nites,and the job keeps me in shape

When my number came up for feeder I pushed down a little old lady and a handicapped orphan running out the door. Haven't looked back yet.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I could have went to Feeder School in the Atlanta Hub about twenty years ago. I have never had the desire to bid into Feeder at all. I hate driving at night, I would rather be at home with my family. I have watched guys get bumped for years back and forth between Feeder and Package, I wouldn't like that at all. I am on my fourth and last bid route in Package, they got better and better with each move. I'm just doing my time now and starting to count the months when I can walk out that gate for the last time. Its just a job now, none of the stupidity bothers me anymore. The paycheck just gets bigger and bigger.

tae111

Feeders...Pros- Warm in the winter A/C in the summer. No more stops per hour over and under plan. Almost no harassment from management. Much less punishment on the body.
Cons- Working nights. Could be working Sunday to Thursday, Tuesday to Saturday, or Monday to Friday. Vacations or loss of seniority depending on what local you are in ( in NJ you have 2 lists so you go to the bottom when you transfer but you keep your vacation seniority). Driving in a snow storm although thats no picnic in a package car either.

over9five

Staff member
Feeders...Pros- Warm in the winter A/C in the summer. No more stops per hour over and under plan. Almost no harassment from management. Much less punishment on the body.
Cons- Working nights. Could be working Sunday to Thursday, Tuesday to Saturday, or Monday to Friday. Vacations or loss of seniority depending on what local you are in ( in NJ you have 2 lists so you go to the bottom when you transfer but you keep your vacation seniority). Driving in a snow storm although thats no picnic in a package car either.
That used to be true, but seems to be coming to an end.

W

want to retire

I want to retire. 13 years pkg. 9 years feeder(so far). 9 years Regional Parts. 31 years. Bottom(near) feeder seniority list, crap vacation selection, bottom feeder(no pun) job bid, . Best years of my career(now), promise land? hardly. Should I have stayed in pkg? I believe my body couldn't take the abuse and my mind couldn't take the bs.