How Many Part-Time Supes Load?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Stomy723, you certainly showed being a management deny everything type on that one! :biting:

I am not really sure what the above quote means...
I will say that is part of the reason for my devil quotes...
being real....
playing both sides, the devils advocate here.
Wasn't trying to piss ya off..so chill.

I have been on both sides...
both sides have its fair share of reasons.
:wink2:
Chill

bellesotico

BOXstar
[evil]Lets see...[/evil]
I was a loader, I was an unloader. I enjoyed both.
I am a sup. now and it is very difficult for me not to work.
Not b/c I want to. Not b/c I am trying to make numbers...
or steal union time/ jobs..
I do it b/c the people on my belt, simply can not keep up, choose not to keep up, and I hate to see them buried in the incredibly large volume coming down the belt!
:smart:Here is an idea, I do it for morale! I do it to assist.. to train (over and over), I do it to help people catch up! So they do not feel overwelmed.
But I guess you will always have the shop stewart and the union rep who attempt to make problems out of everything.

Maybe I wouldn't have to work if the hourlies on my belt simply...
a) showed up on time
b) came to work
c) utilized the methods
d) actually tried to put the work away

Then again it is easier for one to run to the union...or tell the shop stewart the sup was working (even when they were actually assisting "you") than
to take [evil]responsibility and accountability [/evil]for your actions.
:whiteflag:

Oh of course...the sups are ALWAYS just trying to do us hourlies a favor...

Say what you want to say..justify it how ever you want..but it will never take away from the fact that if hourly employees are to be held to a certain standard (showing up on time..coming to work..utilizing methods..actually putting work away..etc...)you better believe sups/mgmt are gonna be held to standards as well.(abide by the terms set forth in the master contract)

You can't have it both ways.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
"LessWork....ThanMost"

THERE IS NO REASON FOR A SUPERVISOR TO BE WORKING.
ALTHOUGH....
There are times when it is inevitable...
I am not being contemptuous toward the union at all. I understand both sides, and that is okay. That is my opinion. That certainly doesn't make me less of a supervisor, nor does it define my career in UPS. Which may or
may not have been what you were "trying" to say.

:smart::smart:
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

:smart::smart::smart:
The basic building block of good teambuilding is for a leader to promote the feeling that every human being is "unique and adds value".
- Unknown

:smart::smart::smart::smart:
We trained hard, but it seemed every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization.
Petronii Arbitri Satyricon AD 66

hiro

Here's how it is at our hub... (for me anyway)

Most of our outbound belts are slightly understaffed. Our whole hub is. Our hiring plan since the beginning of the year has been 10 new hires a week. We're lucky if 6 of them stay. And then there is the regular workforce turnover. We're probably at about +3 employees on a good week. I just figured I'd state this because of the comments that we need to hire more people.

In my opinion, as a p/t sup, that the new contract is absolutely terrible in that the starting wage is still 8.50 an hour. I really couldn't believe it when I read it, but I guess I didn't really expect anything else.

The only time I will work is if someone that works for me asks me to give them a hand and there is nobody else I can move. If I break jams for them for a few minutes they can usually get through it and it will make the rest of the night better for them. I will never jump in to help just because someone is backed up if I don't think they're putting enough effort or because they're just slow. I don't feel like that's my job. I'll move people to help out or if I can't, get my friend/t sup to move someone from another area to help out.

I should say that this isn't what I did when I was first promoted and less experienced. I would jump in to help out much more quickly and without really thinking about it.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I remember basic training...how frustrating it was when one of the soldiers couldn't accomplish the task at hand. I got mad... pissed off and ranted and raved at how bad this soldier sucked. I was pushing (doing push ups b/c of this soldier)....the entire platoon was.

Then they made this person my "battle buddy" which pissed me off more.

Until I learned...
that if I helped, taught and trained this soldier this person could become more confident at the task, stronger and maybe wouldn't quit so easy. I helped this soldier build their confidence, I gave my battle buddy the respect they deserved.

What a difference it made.....
My battle buddy soon excelled at the task.
and...
I was taught teamwork...and that my platoon and I were only as strong as the soldier that didn't get it or couldn't do it.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I am not really sure what the above quote means...
I will say that is part of the reason for my devil quotes...
being real....
playing both sides, the devils advocate here.
Wasn't trying to piss ya off..so chill.

I have been on both sides...
both sides have its fair share of reasons.
:wink2:
Chill

Why should I chill when your :censored2: doesn't know what a steward is or why there is a contract to abide by to begin with? It's frustrating reading garbage like you wrote. That is all it is!
:whiteflag:

PS Two weeks ago, a supervisor on our Primary direct didn't know what a combination 22.3 job was and didn't know full-time inside existed. Was that you also? :laughing:

bellesotico

BOXstar
...The only time I will work is if someone that works for me asks me to give them a hand and there is nobody else I can move. If I break jams for them for a few minutes they can usually get through it and it will make the rest of the night better for them. I will never jump in to help just because someone is backed up if I don't think they're putting enough effort or because they're just slow. I don't feel like that's my job. I'll move people to help out or if I can't, get my friend/t sup to move someone from another area to help out...

Which is exactly what a sup should do :)

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
HIRO-
I agree with you...100%.
When I was a new sup, I found it much harder to not jump in and assist.
Now I assist when I am asked and can't move anyone.

Boy playing the devils advocate can really create havoc!! lol!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
"dolesswork"
YOU ARE SINCERELY NASTY. SIMPLY NO REASON FOR IT.
Its probably pretty lonely in your high tower eh?

I'm done with ya.

bellesotico

BOXstar
HIRO-
I agree with you...100%.
When I was a new sup, I found it much harder to not jump in and assist.
Now I assist when I am asked and can't move anyone.

Boy playing the devils advocate can really create havoc!! lol!

Don't believe the hype HIRO..LOL

I agreed as well..but Storm gave me negative rep for it.:surprised::surprised:

LMAO

H

hseofpayne

"dolesswork"
YOU ARE SINCERELY NASTY. SIMPLY NO REASON FOR IT.
Its probably pretty lonely in your high tower eh?

I'm done with ya.
He may be nasty, but you are an arrogant arse! The military should have taught you the importance of following the rules. Teamwork means you do your part, which includes documenting, handing out discipline, and firing those who can't or won't do their job. To use your military analogy, if you tell your platoon to keep their heads down and a coulpe who don't get their heads blown off, there's a good chance the ones left will do as instructed. However, if you give them an impossible order they can't accomplish without help(to many guys in the unload forcing volume down belts) chances are if you make that order, they will all get killed! Your teammates(the hourlies) have to hold up their end of the bargain if what you ask is possible. If it isn't, you adjust the volume, not jump in and help to make your numbers. You demoralize your recruits if you continually ask them to a task that you couldn't do yourself. Don't touch a box and if an employee truly can't do the job, fire him so the rest of your employess don't have to pick up their slack. You will be doing those of us who DO show up on time and DO do our job a big favor. Part-timers who can't do their job move on to make drivers who can't do theirs. Then they move on to management!

W

westsideworma

someone on here said earlier start times, while there are times I agree that those are needed, the problem is on my shift a lot of our work is no longer sorted to the boxline via the hub sorts, more of it comes from the inbound trailers than it used to seemingly. Some of our big loads don't hit til nearly halfway or more through the shift and it absolutely decimates certain areas because of it.

Another thing I heard was forecasted volume. When I say that its because we're told what it is. PT supes only know what they're told in terms of volume, if the forecast is wrong the only way we find out is via the boxes themselves or our manager tells us.

Today I was on the slide breaking jams most of the shift. The hourlies call me to do it (they don't want to). Then I was practically begged to help sort. I tried to find help first, none was available so I looked to my loaders, but they were all in trouble as it was so I couldn't ask them to do it either or risk a mutiny (figuratively). This in turn screwed my preloaders because with 6-7 people sorting the boxline they go under. All of this has been explained before, but we do the same thing everyday expecting a different result. Well I don't expect it and neither do any of the other PT Supes, but you see where I am going.

I don't do it for the numbers (though that its a by product of my help I am not ignorant of that), I don't do it for the "glamor", I do it if nothing else to try and keep their spirits up. Laugh or call me a liar if you'd like, I don't care, as none of you know me. We are the heaviest area in my building and we get the least amount of assistance. Period. There is no reason a belt that gets 4000 or less packages should receive more assistance than one that gets 7/8000 and has 5 drivers that leave early for EAM's. That is inexcusable and something I've brought up many times to those who could change that. It will change for a day, maybe 2 and then its back to the same. All the my team will hear is CUT CUT CUT, GET THEM OFF THE CLOCK (via my radio or FT supes and/or managers yelling). In fact, that was the response to one of my calls for assistance. So much for teamwork. That really pisses them off as well, they are following the methods, they are showing up on time etc etc, and they can't get ahead.

Its been horrible this week. It takes a lot to get me angry as I'm a pretty easy going person but that was the last straw. We didn't have a post sort meeting today and good thing because I'd likely not have a job anymore if we did. I have no problem not loading, its not what I'm paid to do, but get me the hourly manpower needed when I ask for it instead of sending them home. Radios don't seem to help, I may try smoke signals...worth a shot right?

As I said in a conversation before the shift when I ask for help its not because we have a couple boxes stacked like some, its because we will not wrap on time unless we get it and it seemingly falls on deaf ears. End of my rant, as you can see this week has been one of the worst this year and its only June.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
wouldn't ups save MORE money by starting the preload earlier and ensuring that all areas are wrapped up in a decent timeframe rather than risking that the areas AREN'T wrapped up by the time drivers need to leave? It seems to me that a few extra hours or minutes at loader pay rates won't cripple UPS as bad as all the MISSED BUSINESS packages that get left in building and/or LATE AIRS that would deal with because management isn't smart enough to start us earlier.

Mike Hawk

wouldn't ups save MORE money by starting the preload earlier and ensuring that all areas are wrapped up in a decent timeframe rather than risking that the areas AREN'T wrapped up by the time drivers need to leave? It seems to me that a few extra hours or minutes at loader pay rates won't cripple UPS as bad as all the MISSED BUSINESS packages that get left in building and/or LATE AIRS that would deal with because management isn't smart enough to start us earlier.

I totally agree, an extra 15 minutes to sort trucks/check for misloads would pay for itself over and over. Either 1 preloader sorts 4 trucks at 9.50 an hour, or 4 drivers do at 42 an hour on overtime on their route and shuttle misloads or shag them. Stepping over a dollar to pickup a penny.

drewed

Shankman
Well in a perfect world where the sun never goes down and wed spend our days sitting on a beach sipping drinks.....PAS would be perfect, UPS wouldnt have to rely on foggy minded/ irresponsible union workers from college and the drivers wouldnt have to sort through their cars. but being in the real world PAS isnt perfect UPS does rely on foggy minded union workers to move packages and no matter how many Union workers or Sups working, things will never be 100%, 100% of the time
Yea Sups shouldnt be touching packages on a normal basis, but they also shouldnt be time carded for helping out momentarily, the spirit of that language was to protect a union worker from being sent home or on a lay off and having a sup work his time.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Belle...
I must have done something wrong...I was trying give you a positive rep! This is all still new to me. How do I fix that? I am just learning about the rep thing! I have tried to change it...it was supposed to be green!! : (

You made me all red...lol!

I also tried to give Hiro some rep....hopefully I didn't screw that one up too... if so...I apologize to both of you!

Can some one help me? please...

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Belle & Hiro...
I just looked and neither of you got the green rep points from me...
Wassup up with that? How did I mess that up?

Can someone explain how I can fix it?

Sorry peeps!

:confused2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Belle...
I must have done something wrong...I was trying give you a positive rep! This is all still new to me. How do I fix that? I am just learning about the rep thing! I have tried to change it...it was supposed to be green!! : (

You made me all red...lol!

I also tried to give Hiro some rep....hopefully I didn't screw that one up too... if so...I apologize to both of you!

Can some one help me? please...
Storm, ask Cheryl. You will probably have to do some 'splainin but she can fix it, if she choses to.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
WestSide...

I agree with you and I could say the same thing...there are times I beg for help and can't get any cause we are too busy catering to the belts of Sups that have had assistance all day.

I would hook ya up with some rep points but apparently I am doing it wrong...so ya have to wait until I learn...otherwise I am going to have a lot of enemies here...lol.

Yesterday I had 79 good rep points...today I have 8,000 bad rep points..lol!:naive: