How many people really read the contract. Just wondering

buster401

I to read the contract on my breaks when I'm bored. I'm not a steward but it's good to know our rights when we are called into the office.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bbsam

Staff member
The point is BUG, that just because you read a contract doesn't mean it says what you think it says.

stink219

The point is BUG, that just because you read a contract doesn't mean it says what you think it says.
Actually, it says exactly what it say.

There is little loyalty in today's society. If you can turn your back on your brother then how can anyone trust you.

bbsam

Staff member
Actually, it says exactly what it say.

There is little loyalty in today's society. If you can turn your back on your brother then how can anyone trust you.
Are you implying that the company has not and does not interpret the wording of the Agreement to their own liking? That even when it is clear what the Agreement says, the company does not go to great pains to act contrary to the Agreement, all the while insisting they are in compliance?

stink219

Nope, never said that. Your talking about 2 separate things. The words on the paper are the words. The interpretation is a separate element. There is strategic reasoning for ambiguous contract language on both sides.

bbsam

Staff member
Nope, never said that. Your talking about 2 separate things. The words on the paper are the words. The interpretation is a separate element. There is strategic reasoning for ambiguous contract language on both sides.

So why read a contract if one can't be certain he is getting factual meaning.

And in what way has the union used ambiguous wording to its advantage?

stink219

Example would be getting no more than 1 yearly ride. The wording is based on the training of a supervisor. But the wording in the contract is:
No driver will be scheduled for more than one (1) day’s ride per year with more than one (1) member of management on the car.

You decipher. I know what it says, but how would you use this to your advantage?

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Example would be getting no more than 1 yearly ride. The wording is based on the training of a supervisor. But the wording in the contract is:
No driver will be scheduled for more than one (1) day’s ride per year with more than one (1) member of management on the car.

You decipher. I know what it says, but how would you use this to your advantage?
I honestly don't know. I only asked because my exposure to contract issues for UPS is hers on BC (obviously). So I have only casually observed the grievances drivers have brought up in dealing with things that seemed pretty straight forward.

stink219

The above aforementioned was used as ambiguous language. The intent was for training another supervisor on space and vis rides, yet we used this wording to reduce multiple rides.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've had people laugh at me and get me other reading material because I read the contracts during breaks. I've read it several times through. Funny how people come to me when they have questions, and I'm not even a steward, though I act like one sometimes.
Same with me. I get asked contract questions all the time. I feel the same as the op though. Read the freaking contract and find out for yourself.

22.34life

no one reads the contract and even if they did most of the people in my hub could not understand it.as one poster pointed out the contract is written in language as to be "interpreted" which is true in some articles but most are pretty clear cut and dry.this is my thing why would you just take someones word for it without looking for yourself.i guess thats how the contract passed,buissness agent said vote yes and people vote yes without ever looking themselfs.

barnyard

KTM rider
The frick'in thing was written by lawyers .......enough said

You are correct, it is written by lawyers. There are posts here on pretty much a weekly basis, including one started yesterday, that the OP could answer themselves if they read their contract and supplement. Almost all of the pay and vacation questions are very easy to find and understand. Plus, plus, there is a 'table of contents' that allows a person to see what page they should start reading.

upschuck

I wish it had a more in depth TOC because sometimes it is time consuming finding what you need. It is easier to get online and search for keywords and sift through it that way.