How many permanent routes and cover/swing drivers are in your center?

8000Shelf

58 bid routes and about 9-15 junk routes in my center...So 65-70 routes a day +/- and we're growing fast. Had to add one permanent pod and have 1-2 temporary pods as well.

8000Shelf

Were your junk routes not bid this time around. Ours were. I'm in the southern supplement.

A few went up for bid recently because mgmt had no choice but to keep them in everyday during a 90 day period. The other junk routes are of course cut at least once in 90 so they don't have to bid them... I'm in the central.

Overpaid Union Thug

A few went up for bid recently because mgmt had no choice but to keep them in everyday during a 90 day period. The other junk routes are of course cut at least once in 90 so they don't have to bid them... I'm in the central.

We bid all routes. Even routes that are rarely in. It's crazy. The routes that are usually in worked out fine though. It gets a little goofy when the DPS has to add routes on lighter days.

8000Shelf

We bid all routes. Even routes that are rarely in. It's crazy. The routes that are usually in worked out fine though. It gets a little goofy when the DPS has to add routes on lighter days.

Most junk routes here are 10-12 hour days, mostly resi with no pick ups of course. They could bid 90% of them and nobody would notice a difference. But they don't so mgmt can keep the control for scheduling, staffing, etc.
Must be some strong language in your supplement for bid routes. Probably a lot of 05 days or 06 guarantees which isn't a bad thing either. Good for your young guys. At least they know what route they will be doing day in and day out, even if it's light.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Most junk routes here are 10-12 hour days, mostly resi with no pick ups of course. They could bid 90% of them and nobody would notice a difference. But they don't so mgmt can keep the control for scheduling, staffing, etc.
Must be some strong language in your supplement for bid routes. Probably a lot of 05 days or 06 guarantees which isn't a bad thing either. Good for your young guys. At least they know what route they will be doing day in and day out, even if it's light.
Yeah the supplement said they had to bid all routes. My route has been in every day some weeks and as little as two recently. In those days I'm essentially unassigned and choose from routes open due to vacations, call ins, etc. Since the bids the junk routes have become a little more consistent dispatches. Still all over the place sometimes. But the areas are pretty consistent.

8000Shelf

Yeah the supplement said they had to bid all routes. My route has been in every day some weeks and as little as two recently. In those days I'm essentially unassigned and choose from routes open due to vacations, call ins, etc. Since the bids the junk routes have become a little more consistent dispatches. Still all over the place sometimes. But the areas are pretty consistent.

Sounds like just enough variety to keep you from getting bored. I cover/swing over 30 routes, so even if I'm scheduled on something the night before, I don't count on being on it when I show up the next day. Never bored at least. There are probably 10-15 drivers here in the same scenario daily. Used to get me pretty upset, but I get paid by the hour and don't put pressure on myself now for management's. decisions. I take my break at 12:50 everyday no matter what route I'm on. Call in air drop at 3 and cancel it if I need to. No pressure that way.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sounds like just enough variety to keep you from getting bored. I cover/swing over 30 routes, so even if I'm scheduled on something the night before, I don't count on being on it when I show up the next day. Never bored at least. There are probably 10-15 drivers here in the same scenario daily. Used to get me pretty upset, but I get paid by the hour and don't put pressure on myself now for management's. decisions. I take my break at 12:50 everyday no matter what route I'm on. Call in air drop at 3 and cancel it if I need to. No pressure that way.

Well ORION messed things up here. They pretty much cut one of the new junk bid routes except for an occasional Wednesday and mine went from being in at least 4 days to what I said before. Most of us that picked the new routes over the older permanent bid routes did so because (in addition to the fact that the other routes suck) they were usually in the lineup and because they were junk routes the DPS always cut or added them in a certain order. We knew that a particular route was the 28th route and so on and chose them based on that so we'd have a route more and be unassigned less. The problem is that now (since ORION) the DPS sometimes randomly puts a route back in on lighter days but doesn't follow the pecking order that had always been followed before. They are junk routes anyway so we don't know why he just doesn't stick to the old way of determining which ones are in. Some of us would have chosen differently if we had known this would be happening. Next bid I will probably just chose the worst route thats never cut to avoid all of this. It will suck at first but they will HAVE TO adjust the route for me or deal with possible late NDAs, missed commercial stops, over 9.5s every day of the week, and missed resis. Man, the bonus babies sure have done a number on the routes here. It's a mess.

8000Shelf

Yeah orion did the same thing here too but our volume caught up almost right away and they had to put the routes right back in plus some. Obviously they aren't bid routes so it wasn't as detrimental to bid drivers. That is kind of a disadvantage to bidding every route I suppose but at least you know what your doing 1/3 of the time..? I kind of saw the logic in EDD but think orion is the biggest waste. They never even fixed EDD and here comes the next great idea.
Have a good weekend brother. We certainly do earn them.

JL 0513

I don't know why split routes, often called scrap or junk routes, are looked upon negatively. Especially the ones covering mostly nice residential stuff, which is mostly the case. There's a couple I'd bid on for life if I could (we can't bid split routes). Those are my favorite days. Usually no business bulk, or many just one or two bulks thrown in. No p/u commits to worry about. Barely any air to get off in the morning. Just a stress free mostly residential run. So what if it crosses 4-5 towns. It's often the same areas. And driving from one town to the next is easy money. Plus I notice they don't pay as much attention to over/under on splits. Not sure why.