How many temps do we hire for peak?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Wally, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

How many do we hire for December? I ask this because I see the jobs number for December is dismal to say the least, something like 70,000 jobs. Take away what we hire and it really looks poor!

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

They say we hired 55,000. I can't believe the rest of the seasonal hire only accounted for 15,000 jobs. FedEx hired 20,000+ for peak. I wonder if that is permanent employment hires.

3. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

I thought the same thing when that jobs report came out. Some funny math our government is using.

4. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Uh because almost all seasonal employees were hired before December.

5. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

It was apparent we didn't hire enough.

6. Mack Grant

Mack Grant Active Member

Our building was hiring runners all the way through mid to late December. It was so crazy one day that one of the HR people went and picked up a helper from his house and brought them out to me for his first day at work. I mentioned that some of the helpers I worked with didn't have uniforms and she replied that corporate only allowed the center 15 uniforms initially.

7. reh303

reh303 New Member

The employment data is seasonally adjusted, so that normal seasonal hiring is not included.

8. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Not enough.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

This has already been covered----try to keep up.

10. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

You could try to take your lunch when you are supposed to.

11. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

He would but he can't keep up.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

That's the best you got?

13. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

[​IMG]

14. cosmo1

On a public forum, yes, that's the best I've got.

If you ever decide to accept a PM, let me know. I'd really like to talk with you.

Ted

15. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Who at you talking about.

16. cosmo1

Dave.

17. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Oh she on my ignore that why I missed it. Uptight doesn't pm with gouts like me and you. Don't waste your time.

18. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

We hired to many temps. They should be promoting and hiring more FT ? PT permanent union employees.

19. 'Lord Brown's bidding'

'Lord Brown's bidding' Well-Known Member

What happens to FT hires Feb-May? Many find 3 days of pay per week (or even less) undesirable.

PT could definitely use the boost.

20. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

If your FT your guaranteed 8 unless you agree to the day off if they lay you off you can collect or bump back inside to either one 8 hr shift or two 4 hrs shift or one 4 hour shift depending on when you where hired and where you stand in your progression and what you local rider / supplement says.

Depending on your state unemployment rules you can you could collect up to a certain amount and still work PT. I now in mass you can make up 1/3 or what your collecting and it not effect what you collecting. When I got laid off I work PT 1 4 hour shift and collected.

They still need to hire more permanent FT and PT union employee.