How many??

DorkHead

Just wondering how many over 9.5 grievances individuals have filed this summer? I have filed 5, received 4 checks so far. Will receive the 5th in a couple weeks.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In my building of 180+ package car drivers, there have been ZERO 9.5 grievances filed.
Lots of bitching, but no grievances.
In the central region we have our own supplemental language, we don't go by the national language.
We don't have an opt in or out list.
Here we have what they call the hammer.
We have language that allows us to strike over this issue. LOL!!!
What a joke.
The panel system the authority to award grievances double time, or even triple time, for hours in excess of 9.5 hrs.
Reality is that nobody to my knowledge, has ever been awarded this remedy in my state.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
I always seem to get my 9.5s in on monday and tuesday but the rest of the week is always around 9 to 9.25 hrs. I do however have 2 grievances in for 2 8 hr days that were not given.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Am I the only one who would like to see the 9.5 language changed to allow us to file on a 9.5 dispatch as well as working over 9.5? We are not allowed to go over 9.5 and will usually dispatch accordingly but occasionally will dispatch us over 9.5 I think we should be able to file for both the dispatch and hours worked.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Am I the only one who would like to see the 9.5 language changed to allow us to file on a 9.5 dispatch as well as working over 9.5? We are not allowed to go over 9.5 and will usually dispatch accordingly but occasionally will dispatch us over 9.5 I think we should be able to file for both the dispatch and hours worked.

You get paid by the hour. The Union does not, and will never recognize UPS's time allowances, therefore will never argue for anything based on those numbers. As soon as they start asking for something based on time allowances they will have to be held accountable for not achieving the scratch level the company sets with their random sets of time allowances.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I would hope you are the only one considering this course of action.
The union does not and should not, EVER, recognize the companies allowances.
The present language of a fair days work for a fair days pay is in place for a reason.
Once that "pandoras box" is opened, we'll never get it shut again.
Put this notion out of your mind, it will never happen.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

That's an argument all the time in my Center. Why did you work 9.6? Because you dispatched me 10.5. A couple Fridays ago I counted 24 guys dispatched over 10 hours out of 38 Areas. Many don't go over 9.5 though. To answer the original question. None and never have.

DorkHead

I`m failing to see what you are asking for. The dispatch and actual hrs. worked are both used to determine if a grievance can be filed. If the company dispatches you 9.0 hrs. and you work 10.0 to get it done, that day can`t be used towards the "3 days in one week" requirement. Also if the company dispatches you with a 10.0 hr day and you do it in under 9.5 hrs., again, it can`t be counted. You have to be dispatched over 9.5 and work over 9.5 3x in one week. This is the criteria used in the my area.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of drivers that are constantly dispatched over 9.5 are coming in close to an hour over the dispatch. Only then does management try to get you under 9.5!!

tarbar66

I would hope you are the only one considering this course of action.
The union does not and should not, EVER, recognize the companies allowances.
The present language of a fair days work for a fair days pay is in place for a reason.
Once that "pandoras box" is opened, we'll never get it shut again.
Put this notion out of your mind, it will never happen.

I agree with your line of thought!

Better to keep the "Genie" in that bottle.

I wonder if Jim Casey was the one that insisted on the clause about a fair days work for a fair days pay?

grgrcr88

Don't be surprised if production standards aren't at least discussed in 2013.

They will be discussed, they are always discussed. Production standards based on a random time allowance will not. The reason it will not is because the Union has made it clear over the years that they do not and will never recognize a time study. No matter who does it.

grgrcr88

I`m failing to see what you are asking for. The dispatch and actual hrs. worked are both used to determine if a grievance can be filed. If the company dispatches you 9.0 hrs. and you work 10.0 to get it done, that day can`t be used towards the "3 days in one week" requirement. Also if the company dispatches you with a 10.0 hr day and you do it in under 9.5 hrs., again, it can`t be counted. You have to be dispatched over 9.5 and work over 9.5 3x in one week. This is the criteria used in the my area.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of drivers that are constantly dispatched over 9.5 are coming in close to an hour over the dispatch. Only then does management try to get you under 9.5!!

I don't know who told you that but if thats the practice your using someone better stop that crap right now. No where in the contract does it say anything about being dispatched with more that 9.5hrs of work to be able to file or count that day towards your 3 in 5. The only thing necessary is that you worked over 9.5hrs 3 times in a 5 day period. If that is the case, you have the right to grieve.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I`m failing to see what you are asking for. The dispatch and actual hrs. worked are both used to determine if a grievance can be filed. If the company dispatches you 9.0 hrs. and you work 10.0 to get it done, that day can`t be used towards the "3 days in one week" requirement. Also if the company dispatches you with a 10.0 hr day and you do it in under 9.5 hrs., again, it can`t be counted. You have to be dispatched over 9.5 and work over 9.5 3x in one week. This is the criteria used in the my area.One thing I have noticed is that a lot of drivers that are constantly dispatched over 9.5 are coming in close to an hour over the dispatch. Only then does management try to get you under 9.5!!
This sounds like my center manager's interpretation of over 9.5 language. Someone has steered you wrong on this. It is just as hr grgrcr88 says. Hours worked are the only factor in the equation.

DorkHead

I don't know who told you that but if thats the practice your using someone better stop that crap right now. No where in the contract does it say anything about being dispatched with more that 9.5hrs of work to be able to file or count that day towards your 3 in 5. The only thing necessary is that you worked over 9.5hrs 3 times in a 5 day period. If that is the case, you have the right to grieve.

I see you are from Kansas. There is other language added to the national agreement where I`m from. This language has been agreed to by both the company and our local. The above criteria I mentioned must be met in order to win a grievance for over 9.5. Upstate is in my Local so that is why I don`t understand what he is asking in his post on this thread.

There are many other Local`s in the U.S. that have this same language. If you search previous posts, you will see much discussion on this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Its a terrible idea. The company would simply print two daily reports. The one they would let you see would be rigged so that no "planned" day ever exceeded 9.49 hours, no matter how many stops you did. The real one that they used for dispatch purposes would be kept hidden. The entire system of "time allowances" waas designed for the express purpose of maximizing productivity by creating "standards" that can only be met by working off of the clock. They arent fair, they were never intended to be fair, and the last thing we as a union would ever want to do is to validate them in any way by recognizing them contractually.