How much are union dues?

kerbinator

I've been part time for a year and a half, but I'm going FT driver soon and I figure I should join the union. I've heard countless stories of people getting fired and not getting their jobs back because the union didn't work hard enough for them because they weren't union members. Of course this is just gossip, but I'm sure it has some basis in truth, and I figure it would be best just to stay safe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been part time for a year and a half, but I'm going FT driver soon and I figure I should join the union. I've heard countless stories of people getting fired and not getting their jobs back because the union didn't work hard enough for them because they weren't union members. Of course this is just gossip, but I'm sure it has some basis in truth, and I figure it would be best just to stay safe.

Did you ever stop and think for a moment that people get fired and actually deserve to get fired?

Back to your question, the amount you pay monthly depends upon where you are located. Here in Upstate NY we pay 3 X our hourly once per month. New York is not a right to work state and we must join the union within 30 days of employment. Union dues are deductible on your income taxes.

I am not going to argue whether the Union fights harder for dues paying members than for those who are not. I would like to think that they would fight equally hard for all employees.

kerbinator

Did you ever stop and think for a moment that people get fired and actually deserve to get fired?
no, it never crossed my mind. I always thought a great hand from the sky came down to randomly pick working people up and hurl them into unemployment.

I trust myself to be an honest worker and do the best I can, but it puts my mind at ease to know someone has my back in the small chance I get wrongly terminated.

and it's a nice thought that the union fights equally hard for everyone, but apparently that's not reality round these parts.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm in a right to work state, and at least in my building nonunion members get the same representation as union members. Any other way would be self defeating.

satellitedriver

Good luck with that.
Most lawyers won't take a case unless there is a sufficient amount of money in it for them.

Guess I am just lucky.
My nephew has been rated as one of the top lawyers in the USA.
-(by peer review)-
I hope I will never have to take up his offer of help in any legal situation.
If I have to, there is going to be one heck of a rodeo.

upsgrunt

Guess I am just lucky.
My nephew has been rated as one of the top lawyers in the USA.
-(by peer review)-
I hope I will never have to take up his offer of help in any legal situation.
If I have to, there is going to be one heck of a rodeo.

Have you ever mentioned to your nephew about your best friend Steve in the Midwest?:happy2:

Cali. - Our Union dues were $250 init. fee and 2x hourly rate every month and we have to join, and honestly i hate the union more every day, i go to work and watch people drag their asses around all day, talking on their phones while they work, showing up to work once a week (if that), STEALING stuff and getting away with it cuz there was no "PROOF" and since they have been there longer they get to take home more money than i do. When people suck at their job they should get fired, there are tons of people out there right now that would love to have ANY job, especially one with our medical beni's (thnx union, only thing they are good for so far ). But thats my opinion ( i had a bad day, haha )