How much did I mess up?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by smapple, Nov 14, 2014.

1. smapple

smapple Member

When I got hired the HR guy and training supe asked me first day why I want to work at UPS and I leveled with them and said I needed money. So into my 3rd week unload, working as fast and hard as I can and let the supes in my unload area know to get on my back if they think I'm not working hard/fast enough because basically trying to get face time and brown nose my way into staying past peak while doing decent job. Been having really sore shoulder, back, and elbow and really weak grip since Tuesday after unloading 24 plastic tubs that wouldn't open past my chest level filled with 30lb plastics bags of clothes. Yesterday supe asks me what my aspirations within UPS are, I was kinda out of it mentally after 2 hours of unloading a 50 footer full of pet foods and answered him honestly: get promoted, get paid. Should I have said, "I want to advance my career by working hard and see where UPS takes me blah blah blah" How should I have answered? Kinda wanna know just in case I get asked again. And seriously, what are my chances of sticking around past peak?

Also any tips for unloading?

2. CHALLY9TX

CHALLY9TX Active Member

Don't brown nose. Work at a SAFE and steady pace. Brown nosing won't get you anywhere because advancement is based on seniority. Now if you go into management its a different story.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. smapple

smapple Member

Yeah, every time I get cut early they tell me it's based on seniority and really wanted to get sorter but was told that's also based on seniority.

4. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

You said you wanted to be promoted, and they haven't asked you to be PT Sup yet?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Yes sorter position goes by seniority unless no else wants the position. I have seen guys right off the street go into sorting. Much easier job but a bit intimidating until you get the hang of it.

6. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

I suggest submitting a letter to HR, stating you are interested in going into Part-Time management.

7. smapple

smapple Member

I've only been at UPS for less than a month so don't think I'm anywhere near ready for management position, even PT.

8. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

I have seen people go from new-hire to management in less than two weeks, up to a couple months.

The post was sarcasm, though..most get it if they stick around

9. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

You would be qualified for Preload manager in my building. No experience needed.

10. upschuck

11. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Twenty minutes training on the program and he could slide right into dispatch.

12. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Do you plan on making ups a career?

13. smapple

smapple Member

At this point I don't even know what a career in UPS means. If you mean do I want to be an unloader for 10+ years like some of the guys I've been paired up with then no? If you mean go into management and maybe corporate then sure after I've got some more experience with how things are run.

14. Brownslave688

Do you have a 4 year college degree?

15. Tell them you want to become a union boss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. smapple

smapple Member

Nope, got a 2 year degree after transferring credits from 4 year that I couldn't finish because of money.

17. Brownslave688

Then don't even consider management. It's a dead end road. Just stick around and read on this site.

Unless you plan on using management as a stepping stone to another career somewhere else driving is the only way to go here pretty much.

They just announced all the cost cutting they plan to do over the next 5 years. I'll give you one guess whose pockets that money is coming out of.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. wage EARNER

wage EARNER Member

Tell your manager that you have no gag reflex and you are a compulsive liar.

19. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I disagree. :)

20. upschuck

Most people who go into PT management do it for the tuition reimbursement, and it's good on resume.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  21. BigBeef42

BigBeef42 Active Member

Slow down bro. It aint a race. Quit being a narc, unless being a supe is ur next step

Sent using Ink and Canvas

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List