How much did I mess up?

TheFigurehead

You're already asking about the easier jobs? PT management here you come!

C'mon, man... why does everyone have to be such an @$$ to everyone on here? The guy is new, seasonal, and has no idea how UPS works. It's not anything like other jobs. I realize that the chips on our shoulders get bigger by the day, but we don't have to be jerks to newbies, no matter how silly the question might seem to someone who has been there a while.

As for wanting to be a sorter... he openly states he's in it for the money (which is fine), so he is probably looking for the $1 raise, as opposed to an easier job.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
C'mon, man... why does everyone have to be such an @$$ to everyone on here? The guy is new, seasonal, and has no idea how UPS works. It's not anything like other jobs. I realize that the chips on our shoulders get bigger by the day, but we don't have to be jerks to newbies, no matter how silly the question might seem to someone who has been there a while.

As for wanting to be a sorter... he openly states he's in it for the money (which is fine), so he is probably looking for the $1 raise, as opposed to an easier job.
And by the time he figures out how it works, Christmas season will be over. See post #13...he clearly states he wants to go into management.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A pt sup in my era was not easy. But I had more control, I ran the whole place, no crap. I took it for the money, and regular hours as I had children, and wanted a stable work time. I knew nothing of preload, but they taught me, I had a great group of people to work with. PT MGMT has no clear career path, but it does look good on a resume.
Now I dont know what you can learn from it because you are a tool only. Then....... I was the only one in our center who could run a pc, when we first got them. Before that all we had was sysm, everything else was run by phone and paper. I learned alot, one of them being I didnt want to use my hard earned business degree at UPS. Now my degree is old and so am I. I got a chance to drive, took me 75 miles one way from my family because I was so abused I wanted out. I got out and never looked back. I would not recommend it, but if it is for short term, go for it, if long term, No.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A pt sup in my era was not easy. But I had more control, I ran the whole place, no crap. I took it for the money, and regular hours as I had children, and wanted a stable work time. I knew nothing of preload, but they taught me, I had a great group of people to work with. PT MGMT has no clear career path, but it does look good on a resume.
Now I dont know what you can learn from it because you are a tool only. Then....... I was the only one in our center who could run a pc, when we first got them. Before that all we had was sysm, everything else was run by phone and paper. I learned alot, one of them being I didnt want to use my hard earned business degree at UPS. Now my degree is old and so am I. I got a chance to drive, took me 75 miles one way from my family because I was so abused I wanted out. I got out and never looked back. I would not recommend it, but if it is for short term, go for it, if long term, No.
Was a different time....many are lazy and useless nowadays. Spend half the sort hiding out in the office...leaving trainees unsupervised. Touching packages when they think no one is looking....and kissing the center manager's ass. My center goes through PT sups like crazy...I'm on my 3rd one this year.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Yeah feel ya on that one. People don't have to act like PECKERWOODS to every newbie on here, even if they do ask dumb questions lmfao. Just saying im not calling anybody out because theres plenty that do that stuff on here n im sure im guilty of it once or twice lmfao.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've only been at UPS for less than a month so don't think I'm anywhere near ready for management position, even PT.

The training supervisor for the new preloader that loads my car got hired off the street a month ago. Neither one of them have a clue about loading a package car, I usually meet another driver once or twice a day to swap missorts. Its going to be a wonderful peak season.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The training supervisor for the new preloader that loads my car got hired off the street a month ago. Neither one of them have a clue about loading a package car, I usually meet another driver once or twice a day to swap missorts. Its going to be a wonderful peak season.

I thought you were getting out?

smapple

Not because it's easier, but get $1 extra. But not sure now, met a guy who's been unloading 10+ years that explained to me he gets ~$25/hr because he's been around so long and pretty much more pay every year he sticks around. Don't think he has any reason to lie unless someone else had a different experience? Not sure if I could get the same pay staying sorter, I'd have to ask about it. And not really looking for management if that's a wrong move within UPS. Just looking to get paid so I can meet meet the bills on time.

Another issue that came up was basically the clock starts counting pay at 15 minutes after the hour, so you're supposed to come on the hour, but I've been coming 15 minutes earlier before the hour because I'm pretty gungho about working. My supe now says I gotta come in 40 min before the hour now. I don't get paid for the extra 30 min I already put in and pretty sure won't get paid for the extra 55 min I'm expected to put in before the shift actually starts. Is he prepping me for something else or is he just jerking me around for free labor?

smapple

I've only been unloading so I wouldn't know anything loading package cars either. Is it hard or just reverse unloading?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Not because it's easier, but get $1 extra. But not sure now, met a guy who's been unloading 10+ years that explained to me he gets ~$25/hr because he's been around so long and pretty much more pay every year he sticks around. Don't think he has any reason to lie unless someone else had a different experience? Not sure if I could get the same pay staying sorter, I'd have to ask about it. And not really looking for management if that's a wrong move within UPS. Just looking to get paid so I can meet meet the bills on time.

Another issue that came up was basically the clock starts counting pay at 15 minutes after the hour, so you're supposed to come on the hour, but I've been coming 15 minutes earlier before the hour because I'm pretty gungho about working. My supe now says I gotta come in 40 min before the hour now. I don't get paid for the extra 30 min I already put in and pretty sure won't get paid for the extra 55 min I'm expected to put in before the shift actually starts. Is he prepping me for something else or is he just jerking me around for free labor?
I've only been unloading so I wouldn't know anything loading package cars either. Is it hard or just reverse unloading?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: They really are cute when they're little.

smapple

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: They really are cute when they're little.

Okay, so he's just trying to get some free work out of me? I'm only a seasonal right now so not sure if telling him "no" would be a good move. Should I complain to HR?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Okay, so he's just trying to get some free work out of me? I'm only a seasonal right now so not sure if telling him "no" would be a good move. Should I complain to HR?
No, you should write down and confirm what time he told you to start work....and make sure you are paid for that time. If your paycheck is wrong....talk to your FT sup. Seasonal or not...you don't work for free.

smapple

No, you should write down and confirm what time he told you to start work....and make sure you are paid for that time. If your paycheck is wrong....talk to your FT sup. Seasonal or not...you don't work for free.

Okay, I'll definitely talk to him Monday because looking at my paystub and says I only clocked ~8 hours even though I could swear I did about 12. Also gonna start writing down the number of hours the machine says I worked when I clocked out and compare it to my paystub. If I'm only getting paid for hours the machine records then I know I'm definitely not getting paid for the extra early minutes that the supe is telling me to come in and do.