How Much Have Your Personal Driving Habits Have Changed As A UPS Driver?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Did you put two little pieces of tape on your personal vehicle? At UPS we call two pieces of tape "Mirror Adjustment devices" LMAO.

I've always been a good/safe but also aggressive driver. I still drive aggressively, but generally leave more space between myself and the knuckleheads in front of me.
You can't be both. Aggressive driving is unsafe by definition.

mrbrownstone

Did you put two little pieces of tape on your personal vehicle? At UPS we call two pieces of tape "Mirror Adjustment devices" LMAO.

I've always been a good/safe but also aggressive driver. I still drive aggressively, but generally leave more space between myself and the knuckleheads in front of me.

Lmao, no tape on the side of my personal car.

I recently purchased as new car and became obsessed with getting my side mirrors set properly. Sadly at 33 years old and having owned several cars I finally realized that I never knew how to properly adjust the mirrors in my own vehicle. Why did I realize this?

I use different package cars everday and sometimes switch between 2 and 3 different package cars in 1 day and understand how important proper mirror settings are in a big vehicle with no windows. This got me thinking about my own car and not really knowing the proper adjustments so I finally Googled it and I found several articles all mentioning the same method.

Here is a link to one article and the method that seems universal throughout most articles.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I like that article because the illustrations are pretty good.

Anyway, getting into other habits, I now find myself allowing more following distance and am much much more keen on not stopping too closely behind another vehicle at an intersection. This has definitely saved me in a UPS truck when having to get around a vehicle. I almost freak out now when riding with my gf who insists on stopping 2 inches from the car ahead.

Lastly, I have become more conscious of playing with my phone when stopped at an intersection in my personal car after numerous occasions being stuck behind people playing with their phones as I am sitting in my package car watching the light turn green and they just sit there. Obviously, I should not have been doing this even before driving for UPS.

I can't say I follow all of the 5 and 10 perfectly in my own vehicle but my habits have definitely changed.
I credit ups with helping me be a super hero driver. They have made me into a great driver.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You can't be both. Aggressive driving is unsafe by definition.

I disagree. There is a difference between aggressive and stupid A-hole driving. I like to think of myself as the prior.

Speeding is considered to be "aggressive driving" Ever broken the posted speed limit? If so, you might be an aggressive driver

Packmule

How many of you guys catch yourself honking the horn when backing up in your own vehicles? :bigsmile2:
Trying to before I catch myself. I do most of what we are taught personally, but never have been very impressed with how they want mirrors adjusted. Can't see top rear of truck their way.

oldngray

nowhere special
Trying to before I catch myself. I do most of what we are taught personally, but never have been very impressed with how they want mirrors adjusted. Can't see top rear of truck their way.
The way they say mirrors should be adjusted was always one of the things that irritated me. It was invented by someone sitting in an office looking at pictures and not someone who actually used the mirrors while driving.

The way they say mirrors should be adjusted was always one of the things that irritated me. It was invented by someone sitting in an office looking at pictures and not someone who actually used the mirrors while driving.
If you can look through your mirrors,without adjusting your body. They are set correctly.

upschuck

Those commercials on TV that spout how safe their cars are because they will stop, notify you if someone is in blind spot, or if you're in a couple lanes, are doing nothing but causing bad driving habits.

The Driver

I drive.
Those commercials on TV that spout how safe their cars are because they will stop, notify you if someone is in blind spot, or if you're in a couple lanes, are doing nothing but causing bad driving habits.

They make excuses for distracted driving. It really makes me angry.