How much will my first pay check be?

rod

Retired 22 years
Well if you're really ashamed pay his initiation and dues for him. Every union employee has to pay dues and initiation. I did many years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. His dues will be 2X his wage per month until he reaches $20 per hour. At $8 per hour he'll pay $16 monthly dues. That is not oppressive. Initiation will be taken out in payments as most locals understand the impact of a one time deduction. If this member doesn't work 30 days he most likely will have no dues/initiation withheld, or will be entitled to a refund. Maybe if UPS would start deducting dues from all the supervisors constantly doing bargaining unit work, local unions could afford to forgive dues until seniority.

I've never heard of a refund being given back for dues or initiation fees for a temporary help job (or any other job as far as that goes). Does this actually happen? As far as I know 30 days had nothing to do with it either-- deductions started with the first check received. You could automatically count on your helper being very disappointed when you handed him his first check.

Inthegame

I said we and was replying to rocket man and I paid dues as a P/T and a friend/T driver.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT IS AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION OF A CORRUPT AND DISHONEST SYSTEM!

Hoak, normally you are very careful with your choice of words. It would be very difficult to ascertain you are not currently paying dues from your post. Remember the start wage is a number UPS wanted, not the union. I would prefer all starting employees receive higher wages but smarter people than you or I have negotiated these numbers. I'm not sure where this fellow is living but I guessing it's not in his car. I'm also not sure he'll have dues/initiation deducted at all so your $2.61 crack was in the outer limits. That said, the "on your knees" comment was over the top.
Writing in large letters doesn't add weight to your comments and the "system" you so dislike is agreed to by UPS in the National Master Agreement Art 3 Sec 2. So rather than ripping the union, how about a letter to Scott Davis expressing your indignation that UPS would dare to require it's new employees to acquire and maintain membership and pay dues.

Inthegame

I've never heard of a refund being given back for dues or initiation fees for a temporary help job (or any other job as far as that goes). Does this actually happen? As far as I know 30 days had nothing to do with it either-- deductions started with the first check received. You could automatically count on your helper being very disappointed when you handed him his first check.

Refunds/waivers are usually read near the beginning of every general business meeting of your local union. Every local handles this issue in their own way. Our local does not require dues from any employee hired within thirty days of Christmas because of NM 3 Sec 2 that requires membership after 31 days. Employees hired before that date are subject to dues/initiation as they may become permanent employees. UPS seldom hires a permanent employee, but employees do get placed on permanent after a seasonal/probationary period. It is difficult for anyone to determine at hire if an employee will make seniority. Every seniority employee was a seasonal/probationary employee at one time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Any employee who doesn't work at least 30 days, not calander days, he or she is entitled to a full refund of all dues withheld.
That translates into appoximately 6 weeks, a time frame perfect for most helpers.
This is part of the IBT bylaws I believe.
The company knows this but purposely omits this info during their orientation because their only intent is use them up and send them on their way.
Various locals, including mine, don't advertise it either.
If you care about your helper, let them know.

Notcool

You may make about a hundred bucks lol union dues are a scam on us pters. I have never needed
the union for any reason. I pay over 30 bucks a month. For what? The raises are pathetic for pters they go straight to the dues. Been at UPS for five years busting butt for less than 200 a week lol but I stick it out for the dream of driver pay plus there are no jobs anywhere

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Knew it didn't look right, but was posting from my cell phone while driving my package car.
Predictive text, no spell check.
I would have done better winging it.
Does anybody know of an android app for that?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoak, normally you are very careful with your choice of words. It would be very difficult to ascertain you are not currently paying dues from your post. Remember the start wage is a number UPS wanted, not the union. I would prefer all starting employees receive higher wages but smarter people than you or I have negotiated these numbers. I'm not sure where this fellow is living but I guessing it's not in his car. I'm also not sure he'll have dues/initiation deducted at all so your $2.61 crack was in the outer limits.

I apologize for being taken seriously.
I guess I made the mistake that people would recognize I was imitating the style of posting that Rocket Man does (after post #9).
I wont promise not to do it again though.
Sometimes my humor attempts miss the attempted effect.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I apologize for being taken seriously.
I guess I made the mistake that people would recognize I was imitating the style of posting that Rocket Man does (after post #9).
I wont promise not to do it again though.
Sometimes my humor attempts miss the attempted effect.

I just realized that I have never been able make it past the first compound sentence in any of Rocket's posts.
It makes my head hurt.
Perhaps this explains why I missed your attempt at satire.
I see the plagiarized styling now; but it may have been a bit counter-intuitive, causing you to slightly miss your mark.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) Remember the start wage is a number UPS wanted, not the union. I would prefer all starting employees receive higher wages but smarter people than you or I have negotiated these numbers.

2) the "system" you so dislike is agreed to by UPS in the National Master Agreement Art 3 Sec 2.

3) So rather than ripping the union, how about a letter to Scott Davis expressing your indignation that UPS would dare to require it's new employees to acquire and maintain membership and pay dues.

1) The employee knows what the wage is but I doubt if any understand they will have dues and initiation fees taken out for a 3 - 6 week job.

2) UPS does not take out any dues or fees until the Union submits a remittance to UPS - Verified this through a payroll person.

3) UPS does not require any employee to join the Union and pay dues - the state laws and the Union does that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just realized that I have never been able make it past the first compound sentence in any of Rocket's posts.
It makes my head hurt.

I actually really enjoy Rocket Man disjointed, fragmented and rambling posts. I have told him that many times but I believe he doesn't quite believe me but I sincerely enjoy his posts.
He really does have a style and logic to it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
1) The employee knows what the wage is but I doubt if any understand they will have dues and initiation fees taken out for a 3 - 6 week job.

2) UPS does not take out any dues or fees until the Union submits a remittance to UPS - Verified this through a payroll person.

3) UPS does not require any employee to join the Union and pay dues - the state laws and the Union does that.

You are correct, but slightly vague so I'll clarify from what I know to be the case in my local.
We begin taking from the first check for all new hire part timers.
Why?
Because of the huge turnover, due to the sorry starting wages and the absurd workload expected.
In the past; when we waited for them to gain seniority to take dues, we missed out on many $$$ in initiation fees when they quit after 2 or 3 months.
It was not designed to punish seasonals.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I actually really enjoy Rocket Man disjointed, fragmented and rambling posts. I have told him that many times but I believe he doesn't quite believe me but I sincerely enjoy his posts.
He really does have a style and logic to it.

I caught it that time.

Inthegame

Hoak, I appreciate wry wit and subtle sarcasm as much as anyone and you're on top of the game, but now I'm not sure where you're going. I'll step out and assume (here's trouble) that this post is legit.
(1) If it's a three week job, most likely no dues or initiation fee will be deducted. 6 weeks dues/fees will be deducted, again in accordance with NM Art 3 Sec 2. Remember seasonal/probationary employment is the first step in many cases to permanent employment. I was hired in October as a seasonal.
(2) UPS hires all employees, notifies the local union (in theory), then an agreed upon method kicks in to deduct dues/fees... UPS remits to the local unions.
(3) UPS and the IBT signed the National Master. Art 3 enumerates all the requirements both parties agreed to.

Dues like taxes, are not eagerly paid. Many locals regularly review cases of pt's not working enough hours to justify a full dues deduction. Recently our local had several cases where UPS sent probationary employees home well before the guarantee of 3.5 hours, working these folks only a few days a week. After 29 days they're released. Hmmm... Our executive board fully refunded these employees all dues and initiation. The union isn't the bad guy all the time.

Rocket Man rules!