How much work is enough?

How much work is enough

• Work as much as I can, I live at brown.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Anything up to 9.5 I'm good with

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Work as little as I can, I like time off.

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

JL 0513

I start at 8:30 and a good bunch of days am done at 5:30. My route is approved to only take a 30 minute lunch so it ads up to 30 minutes OT.

Wish we all had the option to take just 30 minutes lunch. I like having an hour, but I'd prefer to get done 30 minutes earlier and get home.

Thebrownstreak

I was always a fan of being off the clock at 7. In our center, our start time is 9am. If i got back around 7, i would get home around 730 and be able to spend the next hour with the kids before they went to sleep. But part of me wishes i could get home much earlier. Its all about each individuals priorities. To me the money isn't the most important thing, but it is a very important thing. 3 kids, 2 car payments, mortgage, etc really adds up.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I was always a fan of being off the clock at 7. In our center, our start time is 9am. If i got back around 7, i would get home around 730 and be able to spend the next hour with the kids before they went to sleep. But part of me wishes i could get home much earlier. Its all about each individuals priorities. To me the money isn't the most important thing, but it is a very important thing. 3 kids, 2 car payments, mortgage, etc really adds up.
I can relate in this situation, but as dispatches climbed we have adjusted our lives around the later days. The contract only has language to prevent you from being over 9.5 two of five days. Which two are totally dependant on how much work you have and how long it takes you according to working at a steady pace. I once tried to control those over dispatched days for kids sports, workout times, and general family time. I now don't worry about it and just take as much work as I can, substituting the time I don't spend during the week and do it on weekends.

I've also come to realize I don't watch TV anymore unless it's on DVR that my wife and I can watch when I get home after I eat dinner. I have no idea who plays who in what sport as I don't watch TV on the weekends. I guess you could say I have substituted my TV time for more work. My stress level has significantly decreased and my health (due to working out after work as everyone's asleep) has increased.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Needs an "8 is enough" option.

8 is enough.
There is a 8hr request two times a month in the contract language. There is also language guaranteeing you 8 and no more than 9.5 two times a week. Correct me if I'm wrong but there has never been an "over 8hrs penalty" option since any of you have been hired.

I knew this wasn't an 8 hour a day job when I signed up, so have several people that have chosen not to drive.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have no sympathy if you can't pay your bills and don't work as much as you can. That being said, money does not buy happiness, or the lost time with family and friends. I've seen many a UPS'er who has spent a lot of their time working, to make the good money, only to get divorced, and losing that extra money. You have got to balance your life.
People say money doesn't buy happiness, yet everyone I know wants to reach retirement (end game) which itself is totally about how much money you have to do so. We all come to work for one single reason, the money. Money is a tool which allows you to do things that make you happy, in my case it allows me to leave here and do what I want, when I want. For others it's all about cars or boats. Others it's about making the minimums and staying here till they are 70. In the end it's all about the green and how you use it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Enough money to pay your bills and live comfortably (but not lavishly) is enough. Beyond that time to live outside of work is more important. Don't try to live beyond your means and put yourself in the situation where you HAVE to work extra hours just to pay your bills.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Enough money to pay your bills and live comfortably (but not lavishly) is enough. Beyond that time to live outside of work is more important. Don't try to live beyond your means and put yourself in the situation where you HAVE to work extra hours just to pay your bills.
The problem is the average dispatch is a 7pm punch out time. By the time you add commute, eating, showering, and general unwind for 15 mins it's already 830-900. Most young children are in bed at this point, so why not work an extra hour or so while you're on the OT tit.

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem is the average dispatch is a 7pm punch out time. By the time you add commute, eating, showering, and general unwind for 15 mins it's already 830-900. Most young children are in bed at this point, so why not work an extra hour or so while you're on the OT tit.

Agreed. If I know I will be out late after I finish pickups at 5 pm I go into cruise control and I get done when I get done. If I can get off early I will push to get in as early as possible but that rarely happens. And if I do, frequently I get a message to go help someone else who will be out late.

I'm new here, but every driver I work with so far or talk to out of my center tells me they are are doing 10-12 hour days minimum, some are at 14 certain days and none of them seem to want it that way! .. why is this happening? Its one of the things that I really can't understand... when they have so many people ready and willing to drive, why are these guys being forced to do this?

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm new here, but every driver I work with so far or talk to out of my center tells me they are are doing 10-12 hour days minimum, some are at 14 certain days and none of them seem to want it that way! .. why is this happening? Its one of the things that I really can't understand... when they have so many people ready and willing to drive, why are these guys being forced to do this?

The reason is $$$$$$. It is cheaper to pay overtime for fewer drivers than to pay benefits for more drivers. Of course service goes out the window when that happens but this is the "new improved" UPS.

Foamer Pyle

Life is too short to give 90% of your life to company that could care less about your family, health, and well being. I will tell you this, you cannot buy back time. Once you have given it to UPS, that time is gone forever. I believe in being able to live on my income, without overtime. So, I have no car payment, and my mortgage can be paid with one paycheck. I do not want the company to own my soul.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
my children are grown and have moved out,so i work as much as i can. I put a big chunk into stock every week as well as a nice percentage into my 401K. I plan on retiring in a few years and my nest egg is growing bigger every year. I was very poor when I was younger,and not having to worry about money is a GREAT thing

barnyard

KTM rider
This has been one of my best weeks ever. I ended up with just shy of 41 hours for the week.

I HATE long days in package. Cannot stand them.

So far though, 12 hour days have not been a problem in feeders. I think it is because they are all overnights, so my day is shot, so I might as well work.