How not to fill out a DVIR:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I went to work last Monday and noticed this written in my DVIR. A Saturday Air Driver seems to have ticked off a mechanic by not being a little more specific:

IMG_2827a-1.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The mechanics response was not appropriate.

He wasted more time writing a snotty, sarcastic reply than it would have taken him to determine what the exact problem was with the turn signals.

Yes, the air driver probably could have been more specific (left? right? front or back?) but the mechanic was out of line.

klein

Für Meno :)
Since it's marked as "non safety" issue, I probably think it was just a matter of not turning automatically off, after a turn.

I bet the mechanic checked all possibilities, and wasted some time doing so, but if the auto-off didn't work, I bet he didn't test that.
Anyways, that's probably why he was p'd off.
Wasted time , trying to find a problem he couldn't find.
And those mechanics are overloaded with work every single night. So, I don't blame him .

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There was nothing wrong with the turn signals at all that I can see. My P7 is about four years old, everythings works fine. There is a short delay on the dash indicator lights when you signal a turn, but they work. I guess the Air driver was trying to report that.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
The mechanics response was not appropriate.

He wasted more time writing a snotty, sarcastic reply than it would have taken him to determine what the exact problem was with the turn signals.

Yes, the air driver probably could have been more specific (left? right? front or back?) but the mechanic was out of line.

I disagree. The guy writing the problem up should be a bit more descreiptive in what the problem is.

Should the mechanic check everything and guess what the Driver saw?

He said that they worked. If they were intermittent or didn't display to him, etc. would have been nice info to have.

Put yourself in his position.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS has vehicals that have automatic cancelling turn signals? Man I have been gone a long time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Why the hell does he need a P7 for air anyways ?

We have one Sprinter and one Workhorse in the building, the P-7s are the next size up. All the ones like mine get grabbed, they have automatics in them. Mine has 154K miles on it already.

UPS has vehicals that have automatic cancelling turn signals? Man I have been gone a long time.

Yeah Rod, you don't have to hang your left arm out the door and point which way you are turning anymore.:wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years
We have one Sprinter and one Workhorse in the building, the P-7s are the next size up. All the ones like mine get grabbed, they have automatics in them. Mine has 154K miles on it already.

Yeah Rod, you don't have to hang your left arm out the door and point which way you are turning anymore.:wink2:

I've actually had to do that with an old Ford Econoline bubbletop years ago.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Gee, he should be happy he doesn't have our mechinec. Somebody once wrote up the horn that the "tone " was wrong. The mech promptly moved the horn inside the cab, so that the driver would have a new appection oh why the horn was there......

Big Babooba

I disagree. The guy writing the problem up should be a bit more descreiptive in what the problem is.

He said that they worked. If they were intermittent or didn't display to him, etc. would have been nice info to have.

The DVIR is a DOT mandated document. A little professionalism should be displayed by both parties involved. Driver - describe the problem to the best of your ability. Mechanic - record what action was taken. That's it! The DVIR is not meant as a place to record your pissing match.

Big Babooba

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell him about the power steering too!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I agree that the driver could have been more specific about the problem; but a better response would have been for the mechanic to write "please clarify problem" or some other constructive comment, as opposed to the sarcastic reply that he chose.

While I am no mechanic, I have worked on cars and I do have enough knowledge to diagnose some problems myself and speak to a mechanic in a reasonably intelligent manner. Not everybody has this level of understanding regarding cars; some people know so little about them that its difficult for them to even describe a problem. I am that way about computers, I can operate one OK but I am totally incapable of comprehending or articulating what sort of problems mine may be having. It either "works" or it "doesnt".