How old were you when you retired?

pretender

Well, the day that I have been waiting for has arrived--I just celebrated my 35 year anniversary. I thought I would be out the door immediately, but now I am having second thoughts, since I am only 57.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, the day that I have been waiting for has arrived--I just celebrated my 35 year anniversary. I thought I would be out the door immediately, but now I am having second thoughts, since I am only 57.

I am in a similar situation - I am 57 with 39 years.
I plan to retire next year at the end of May - my 40 years anniversary is May 4th.

I thought I would be out the door immediately at 55 but like you, I found that I was not emotionally ready to leave UPS.
I knew at that time, I was not ready to quit "working" so I looked around for a hobby or job that would be something I would really like to do.
I settled on photography which should bring in around $15,000 a year.
My wife sells on ebay and clears around $15 - 20,000 a year.
I will probably sell a little on ebay myself.

Assuming you are management, you will be leaving around $700 a month on the table with your retirement pension versus working until you are 60.

Many people are working latter than they originally planned. Some at other jobs (grocery store, Home Depot, or being self-employed (ie - Realtor, landscaping) or just staying at their current job where they are typically at the highest earning power in their career.

This is a book that has been circulated around the Corporate campus that many people find it helping them to deal with and prepare for the non-financial aspect of retirement:
[h=1]How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor by Ernie J. Zelinski[/h]http://www.amazon.com/How-Retire-Happy-Wild-Free/dp/096941949X

rod

Retired 22 years
I was 53. I've had 11 years of bliss (so far) and am so glad I am young enough to enjoy it. It boggles my mind why anyone would work one day longer than they have to. They way I looked at it if had I continued to work for another year (31) I would only get 100 bucks more a month in pension. 100 bucks a month--thats 25 bucks a week which figures out to about 17 bucks after taxes. You don't have to be Einstein to come to the conclusion that putting up with all the BS at UPS wasn't worth 17 bucks a week.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Retire as soon as you are able....both financially & emotionally. Future time is not guaranteed for us.

I was talking to my neighbor guy in the store this morning and he's like 60 now and says he plans to work at Edison 'til he's 68.

Again, like I mentioned before, "We plan and God laughs".

I also use as an example, my friend......her husband retired from UPS, but she was still working part time in a Medical center and chose to keep working thinking she might be bored. Finally after about 6 mos. she got tired of turning down plans for travel because she was still working, so she retired too. He died suddenly about a month later. No guarantees. She still mentions how it just wasn't fair. And it wasn't, but that's life.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Retire as soon as you are able....both financially & emotionally. Future time is not guaranteed for us.

I was talking to my neighbor guy in the store this morning and he's like 60 now and says he plans to work at Edison 'til he's 68.

I also use as an example, my friend......her husband retired from UPS, but she was still working part time in a Medical center and chose to keep working thinking she might be bored. Finally after about 6 mos. she got tired of turning down plans for travel because she was still working, so she retired too. He died suddenly about a month later. No guarantees. She still mentions how it just wasn't fair. And it wasn't, but that's life.

Your presumption in this advice is that what a person does during retirement brings more value to the retiree than what they are doing in their job.
Many people are back working somewhere within 2 years of their first retirement.

As regarding "We plan and God laughs", I have never seen any mention of retirement in the Bible.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Your presumption in this advice is that what a person does during retirement brings more value to the retiree than what they are doing in their job.
Many people are back working somewhere within 2 years of their first retirement.

As regarding "We plan and God laughs", I have never seen any mention of retirement in the Bible.
Man plans and God laughs is actually a Yiddish proverb....never said it was from the bible.
The bottom line is no one knows how much time they have, so do what makes you happy. If it's work, fine. But, if you plan on spending years with your partner after retiring....you may not have years, so take the time you can get while you can get it....if it's financially possible for you.

I don't know how else to put it.

texan

I agree with Hoaxter. I have four days off, and it is not well with me to just sit.

My belief, we were made to work and do something.

When one chooses to walk away from 9-5 / retire (not a good example time frame / hours in UPS I know)
we must do something productive.

I know some will laugh at me, perhaps many that I still believe that the creation of people that began over
6,000 years ago, Adam and Eve were charged to tend the garden. They did not sit all day in lawn chairs.

It would drive me crazy to sit and do nothing all day. That is me, and I believe all humans.

I believe that if one retires, one must find something fulfilling and productive after their job with UPS.

It could be part time volunteer work for the unfortunate, or many other areas.

It could be the pursuit of a deferred dream and talent that is productive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The question should not be how old you were but how old you would like to be when you retire. Retiring on your own terms is the ideal way to end one journey and begin another.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Man plans and God laughs is actually a Yiddish proverb....never said it was from the bible.
The bottom line is no one knows how much time they have, so do what makes you happy. If it's work, fine. But, if you plan on spending years with your partner after retiring....you may not have years, so take the time you can get while you can get it....if it's financially possible for you.

I don't know how else to put it.

I would suggest that one make it a point to themselves to "work" in those things they want to do, no matter what they are doing now.

If one puts off doing what they want to do until they retire, I think they will be disappointed.

Last edited:

pretender

T
I am in a similar situation - I am 57 with 39 years.
I plan to retire next year at the end of May - my 40 years anniversary is May 4th.

I thought I would be out the door immediately at 55 but like you, I found that I was not emotionally ready to leave UPS.
I knew at that time, I was not ready to quit "working" so I looked around for a hobby or job that would be something I would really like to do.
I settled on photography which should bring in around $15,000 a year.
My wife sells on ebay and clears around $15 - 20,000 a year.
I will probably sell a little on ebay myself.

Assuming you are management, you will be leaving around $700 a month on the table with your retirement pension versus working until you are 60.

Many people are working latter than they originally planned. Some at other jobs (grocery store, Home Depot, or being self-employed (ie - Realtor, landscaping) or just staying at their current job where they are typically at the highest earning power in their career.

This is a book that has been circulated around the Corporate campus that many people find it helping them to deal with and prepare for the non-financial aspect of retirement:
[h=1]How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor by Ernie J. Zelinski[/h]http://www.amazon.com/How-Retire-Happy-Wild-Free/dp/096941949X

Thanks for the book suggestion--I will order it this weekend.

Actually, I have 39 years also--I worked part-time for 4 years...I am not in management, so I am locked in at $3500 per month until I reach the age of 62, at which point, I would gain another $600 per month. However, I just don't think I can do 5 more years, as I am really getting burned out. I am not ready to quit working, so I have been considering seasonal jobs, with a lot of time off in between.

pretender

I was 53. I've had 11 years of bliss (so far) and am so glad I am young enough to enjoy it. It boggles my mind why anyone would work one day longer than they have to. They way I looked at it if had I continued to work for another year (31) I would only get 100 bucks more a month in pension. 100 bucks a month--thats 25 bucks a week which figures out to about 17 bucks after taxes. You don't have to be Einstein to come to the conclusion that putting up with all the BS at UPS wasn't worth 17 bucks a week.

Wow--Now that does seem young! I am glad you are enjoying it--There is a LOT more BS now than there was 11 years ago...

pretender

I like the way you think!

rod

Retired 22 years
There is a great misunderstanding about being retired. To those of you who say "I couldn't stand to do nothing" you are so wrong. Retirement isn't about doing nothing--its about doing what you want to do. If your idea of a fun time is working 45-60 hours a week go for it. I would rather spend time with my Wife- Daughter- Grandkids- ride my Harley- fish-fly-travel-boat- go racing- have a lazy afternoon if I want- tinker in the shop-go have a beer with the guys at 3 in the afternoon if I want- work my little job mowing grass for the local townsip when I want to- torture the cat (he likes it I know) watch TV at 3 A.M. and not have to worry about waking up in time for work--etc- etc.-etc. Believe me you would find yourself alot busier after retiring than you would imagine.