How old?

Dustyroads

Just something to think about, if one takes pension distributions (monthly payments) before the tax year when they turn 55 years old, a 10% penalty, before taxes applies to all pension distributions. So, if one is thinking about retiring at 51 years old, hypothetically with "30 and out" then at tax time one will have to pay $3,600 a year in penalty in addition to your regular federal income tax and state taxes.

Tony31yrs

Is that a new rule? I retired in 2006 at 50 and pay no extra penalty. I thought Congress did away with that about 10 years ago.

Jim Kemp

Don't listen to the negativity there are a lot of positions on preload that don't' require heavy lifting like spa and data capture. I started UPS as a second career at 38 and have never been in better shape, started as a clerk and became a driver at 39 and love it.

Are you saying the guy can just walk in and get any job he wants? We have part timers that have worked years trying to get the easier jobs.

wangbar

Wannabe
I'm gonna give it a shot. If I can't handle it, I'll know pretty quickly and I can bail, no worse off than I am now. Something tells me, however, that I might actually enjoy it, for 4 hours. After that might be too much. Losin' weight and gettin' in better shape sounds like a really good thing. Money is a secondary consideration. Benefits on the other hand are paramount. Opportunity? Well, I gotta tell you, what I've learned in life is: opportunity is where you make it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ups1990

If you can get in, go for it. I've seen 18 year olds work as if they were 60, then followed that up with workers comp.

wangbar

Wannabe
It's funny, There is a current position open, in my area, on the website. I applied, made my account, then it told me there were no positions open. Huh? I went back and searched again, there it was. I don't get it. So what now, I just kick back and wait for a call?

I'm gonna give it a shot. If I can't handle it, I'll know pretty quickly and I can bail, no worse off than I am now. Something tells me, however, that I might actually enjoy it, for 4 hours. After that might be too much. Losin' weight and gettin' in better shape sounds like a really good thing. Money is a secondary consideration. Benefits on the other hand are paramount. Opportunity? Well, I gotta tell you, what I've learned in life is: opportunity is where you make it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Wangbar, I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning in my post to you, my bad communication is probably at fault. What I was wanting you to know is that IF there are 20 packages that weigh in the 50 lb. range for a truck you are loading, you are expected to load them regardless of how you have to do it. Add to that the time factor, all loaders are expected to load at a piece per hour number (someone else will have to tell the number) regardless of weight or size, it can get quite taxing.
It's a good thing that the money is secondary, you start @ $8.50 per hour. Good luck to you , work safe and protect your body...some injuries are life long.

I don't think there is a minimum retirement age. You are thinking a minimum retirement age for which you recieve a full pension
In Central States, the min retirement is currently 56. To gain FULL retirement you have to have 25 years(age irrelevant) . If you retire before age 56, regardless of years of service you can not draw a dime until you are 56.

wangbar

Wannabe
Wangbar, I think you may have misinterpreted my meaning in my post to you, my bad communication is probably at fault. What I was wanting you to know is that IF there are 20 packages that weigh in the 50 lb. range for a truck you are loading, you are expected to load them regardless of how you have to do it. Add to that the time factor, all loaders are expected to load at a piece per hour number (someone else will have to tell the number) regardless of weight or size, it can get quite taxing.
It's a good thing that the money is secondary, you start @ $8.50 per hour. Good luck to you , work safe and protect your body...some injuries are life long.
I think I understand you. And thank you for your candor and good information. Here's the deal; for the last 4 years I have worked at Home Depot. I left there because the scheduleing was becoming hard to fit in with my lifestyle. As I mentioned before, I'm a working musician. That sunrise pre-load shift sounds really attractive for that reason.

Now, at HD I had to deal with freight on a daily basis. Often I had pallets of kegs of nails, for example, weighing 30/35 lbs. that had to be put in the over head. I would have to carry them by hand up a ladder. I didn't have a speed that I had to maintain, because I had to help customers at the same time. My point is though, I think I understand what I getting into. I've had to unload truck loads of xmas trees, deal with freight (and UPS) when I was loaned to shipping and receiving, etc. All while still helping customers, because they come first. There were times when I was hitting my stride, only to be interupted by a customer, I would help that customer gladly, but inside I wished that I could just not have had to deal with that while I was doing the grunt work.

I'm no stranger to hard work. I was in the construction industry for years. I'm older now, yes, but I think that I can endure package handling part time. At least for awhile, then hopefully I can move to another area that's not so labor intensive. No guaranty, I know, just hoping.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Hell, I have seen a strapping young buck fresh from the marines quit after one day of unloading package cars on the local sort. His comment? We work way too hard .......

wangbar

Wannabe
Hell, I have seen a strapping young buck fresh from the marines quit after one day of unloading package cars on the local sort. His comment? We work way too hard .......
I worked with a lot of young vets at HD. I was underwhelmed to say the least. Most of them were pro's at friend'n the dog.

tunemixer

TRY it you are the only one who can answer that. good luck . IF you dont make it at least you tried. THERE are 17 year olds that dont make it.

Thats because the youth of today want it handed to them They don't have any work ethic. They want the big bucks without working for it.
I would rather have a person 56 that wants a job overa young person any day.Of course thats coming from a soon to be 62 year old package driver. Also retiring Dec. 30th.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think I understand you. And thank you for your candor and good information. Here's the deal; for the last 4 years I have worked at Home Depot. I left there because the scheduleing was becoming hard to fit in with my lifestyle. As I mentioned before, I'm a working musician. That sunrise pre-load shift sounds really attractive for that reason.

Now, at HD I had to deal with freight on a daily basis. Often I had pallets of kegs of nails, for example, weighing 30/35 lbs. that had to be put in the over head. I would have to carry them by hand up a ladder. I didn't have a speed that I had to maintain, because I had to help customers at the same time. My point is though, I think I understand what I getting into. I've had to unload truck loads of xmas trees, deal with freight (and UPS) when I was loaned to shipping and receiving, etc. All while still helping customers, because they come first. There were times when I was hitting my stride, only to be interupted by a customer, I would help that customer gladly, but inside I wished that I could just not have had to deal with that while I was doing the grunt work.

I'm no stranger to hard work. I was in the construction industry for years. I'm older now, yes, but I think that I can endure package handling part time. At least for awhile, then hopefully I can move to another area that's not so labor intensive. No guaranty, I know, just hoping.

Working musician? I say stay away from UPS, that is my opinion.

I am a musician; do not work at this moment, have worked in the past while with this company.

Depending on the hours of work you are working, you will likely be an odd shift unless you get on a day shift. More likely it would be preload (4-8am), twilight (6-10pm) or midnight (11-3am). Not good for musicians! This causes schedule conflicts and also sleep arrangements that can be a major distraction.

For example: I had worked the preload (early AM) shift for about 5 years. I must say that it was not easy sleeping during the afternoon from 4pm-7pm, waking up to play a venue from 8:30-9:30 (or whatever the time slot was), then going back to sleep from 11-3am. I made it work for a few years, but it was very very difficult.

Something to think about!

wangbar

Wannabe
Working musician? I say stay away from UPS, that is my opinion.

I am a musician; do not work at this moment, have worked in the past while with this company.

Depending on the hours of work you are working, you will likely be an odd shift unless you get on a day shift. More likely it would be preload (4-8am), twilight (6-10pm) or midnight (11-3am). Not good for musicians! This causes schedule conflicts and also sleep arrangements that can be a major distraction.

For example: I had worked the preload (early AM) shift for about 5 years. I must say that it was not easy sleeping during the afternoon from 4pm-7pm, waking up to play a venue from 8:30-9:30 (or whatever the time slot was), then going back to sleep from 11-3am. I made it work for a few years, but it was very very difficult.

Something to think about!
Thanks for sharing that. I was thinking; work pre load, go home and take my ambien and sleep for 6 to 8 hours, wake & put myself together, go play gig, then off to work at UPS and do it all over again. Remember that the lions share of the time gigs are on Friday and Saturday nights. Sometimes on other nights, but mostly not.

I'm wondering why you would wait till 4PM to hit the sack?