How Organized is your email?

texan

How organized is your workstation / laptop email?

Do you have lots of folders on your local workstation / laptop?

Can you go to a folder anytime and find an older email to reference or forward
quickly?

That said, have you blown off the email archive training?
Soon, your email will change and shock you you, if you are very organized with multiple folders
on your
workstation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How organized is your workstation / laptop email?

Do you have lots of folders on your local workstation / laptop?

Can you go to a folder anytime and find an older email to reference or forward
quickly?

That said, have you blown off the email archive training?
Soon, your email will change and shock you you, if you are very organized with multiple folders
on your
workstation.

Lots of folders and subfolders (in the hundreds).
I am slowly but surely converting my important e-mails I need for future use to "rtf" files on my hard drive in pretty much same folder structure I had in Outlook.

I wonder if they included the dozens of lost productivity hours in their financial analysis?

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm a hoarder - e-mail house of junk ! But, I do have a second e-mail account, that I only use for important stuff, like job applications.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm simple, I delete !!

I'm a hoarder - e-mail house of junk ! But, I do have a second e-mail account, that I only use for important stuff, like job applications.

This is the Partners forum. The OP was discussing the e-mail archiving initiative within the mgt ranks. Would it have been too much to ask the two of you to refrain from posting on a thread within a forum that pertains to neither of you?

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is the Partners forum. The OP was discussing the e-mail archiving initiative within the mgt ranks. Would it have been too much to ask the two of you to refrain from posting on a thread within a forum that pertains to neither of you?
The title reads................. How Organized is your E-Mail? I answered it . Maybe posters should be more specific in their titles....., I am not a mind reader.......... O.P. mentioned 'workstation'....that's my desk in my kitchen. It's my workstation. Besides, I didn't hear Texan complaining!!

I own UPS stock, so that makes me a "partner", padner!!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Lots of folders and subfolders (in the hundreds).
I am slowly but surely converting my important e-mails I need for future use to "rtf" files on my hard drive in pretty much same folder structure I had in Outlook.

I wonder if they included the dozens of lost productivity hours in their financial analysis?

Imagine the cost of retaining, retrieving and producing every record related to a common topic during a major lawsuit. If its gone, the cost is nil and the potential liability is reduced.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Imagine the cost of retaining, retrieving and producing every record related to a common topic during a major lawsuit. If its gone, the cost is nil and the potential liability is reduced.

Not sure what that has to do with what I posted.
I've been subpoenaed on three cases in the last 4 years and I did not have a single piece of paper and less than 10 e-mails. I've been following the record retention policy for 7 or 8 years.

I save reference information and key decisions documented in e-mails and not much else for longer than 3 months.

There is a balance between too little and too much but all it takes is a couple times getting called up before the suits and defend why a decision was made to make sure you keep key decisions for cya later on.

I came into work this morning and had several e-mails about a Europe-to-US service that did not show up in one of the applications for which I am responsible. Did an automated search of my e-mails and found the e-mail from Nov 2009 where a Level 20 approved the change. I always get a Level 20 to approve a decision via e-mail in a key decision if I can. I saved that e-mail to my hard drive along with a few others today.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Not sure what that has to do with what I posted.
I've been subpoenaed on three cases in the last 4 years and I did not have a single piece of paper and less than 10 e-mails. I've been following the record retention policy for 7 or 8 years.

I save reference information and key decisions documented in e-mails and not much else for longer than 3 months.

There is a balance between too little and too much but all it takes is a couple times getting called up before the suits and defend why a decision was made to make sure you keep key decisions for cya later on.

I came into work this morning and had several e-mails about a Europe-to-US service that did not show up in one of the applications for which I am responsible. Did an automated search of my e-mails and found the e-mail from Nov 2009 where a Level 20 approved the change. I always get a Level 20 to approve a decision via e-mail in a key decision if I can. I saved that e-mail to my hard drive along with a few others today.

Dozens of hours of productivity is not the main consideration. Alleged failure to preserve records related to a class action lawsuit is more likely what triggered the change. You can't fail to retain what has already been disposed of and you can easily retain what is stored on a central server. Control of retention is in the hands of a few, rather than 10s of thousands of individual users. Litigation is won in discovery.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Dozens of hours of productivity is not the main consideration. Alleged failure to preserve records related to a class action lawsuit is more likely what triggered the change. You can't fail to retain what has already been disposed of and you can easily retain what is stored on a central server. Control of retention is in the hands of a few, rather than 10s of thousands of individual users. Litigation is won in discovery.

No doubt ... that is pretty clear.
And if you don't get rid of unneeded records (e-mails) disciplinary action up to and including termination will be taken.

However, I will work on C-My-A more diligently than I will on protecting UPS from litigation but I am working on both now and for years. I've been subpoenaed too many times and I learned long ago to not keep unneeded e-mails or printed documents. I have almost no printed material.

texan

Ditto sir. I have been confronted with "who told you to do that"?. I find the email from a few years ago that directed to perform a funtion / method that way. I forward it and most time never get a reply, but the who told you question goes away.

texan

My bust. I should have said How organized is your UPS email? For those in the company that have a desk and have ups email, life will change very soon. The is a change coming that will affect the most organized users. Both Management, and all users.

Congratulations Dave, I didn't know you had been promoted to management.

Let me explain why I am here. Texan posted on the current events forum and I wanted to know a little more about him/her. So I looked at his/her previous posts and it brought me here. How and why did you get here? Just curious.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Congratulations Dave, I didn't know you had been promoted to management.

Let me explain why I am here. Texan posted on the current events forum and I wanted to know a little more about him/her. So I looked at his/her previous posts and it brought me here. How and why did you get here? Just curious.

I read most of the forums and the threads therein but don't feel the need to comment on each and every one. When I saw the responses from moreluck and Klein I felt the need to remind them of the forum that they were in and that the content of the thread did not pertain to either of them.

The Partners forum was created to give our management members a place to exchange thoughts and ideas on issues which pertain to them. Email archiving would be one of those issues.

I know that you have a soft spot in your heart for moreluck but I would think an objective look at this would tell you that she stuck her nose where it didn't belong. Klein is simply ...

Last edited by a moderator:

moreluck

golden ticket member
PARTNER: A member of a company or firm who shares the risk and profits of the business.....joint interest association.

I share risks and profits daily.............that makes me a partner. Now, if Dave wants a solo thread, he should title a thread "For present UPS drivers ONLY from the upstate area of New York "

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whatever--stick to what you know and read but don't comment on that with which you are not familiar or does not apply to you. We don't have a workplace computer nor do we read or store company correspondence so e-mail archiving would not apply to either one of us. Is that really so hard for you to understand?

The only reason I replied to this thread in the first place was to remind you and your sidekick that this thread did not pertain to either of you and therefore did not require your feedback which, by the way, made you appear to be a simpleton.

BTW, owning company stock and being an active partner are not one in the same. Did Scott call you to ask you for your feedback before deciding on the production push?

Last edited by a moderator:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Whatever--stick to what you know and read but don't comment on that with which you are not familiar or does not apply to you. We don't have a workplace computer nor do we read or store company correspondence so e-mail archiving would not apply to either one of us. Is that really so hard for you to understand?

The only reason I replied to this thread in the first place was to remind you and your idiot sidekick that this thread did not pertain to either of you and therefore did not require your feedback which, by the way, made you appear to be a simpleton.

BTW, owning company stock and being an active partner are not one in the same. Did Scott call you to ask you for your feedback before deciding on the production push?
Actually, Scott and I speak about every other month. So, all the UPS retirees are not partners to you? Good to know!! Me, me, me, me, me ,me!!

texan

I am new. Sorry I started a war here. I do not understand how Upstate has that much Rep Power rating with his name calling?