How serious are they about sales leads in your first 30 days??

ManInBrown

Would it be a reason to be DQ'ed if I didn't get any? First day supe said to me "sales leads look good in your book". I'm scratching. I am on the same route everyday for the first 30 and it's 95% resi. And the couple business stops I have had so far, are already using UPS. I don't know how I can get sales leads on this route. And I have never been much of a salesman.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If you worked for FedEx, you should have a fairly good idea of who their larger local shippers are. Just turn those in.

ManInBrown

If you worked for FedEx, you should have a fairly good idea of who their larger local shippers are. Just turn those in.

What exactly do I have to turn in? Just the name of the company? Do I have to physically go there and talk to the shipper or just turn the info in?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
What exactly do I have to turn in? Just the name of the company? Do I have to physically go there and talk to the shipper or just turn the info in?

No, you do not have to talk to the shipper - you just need submit the contact info. At least where I'm at, management doesn't scrutinize it -- they turn it into the sales department, which usually sends the info to a Salt Lake City (?) call center that filters out "real" leads from the "just did it to get management off my back" ones.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I made book a few months ago and sales leads haven't been brought up since driver school. Maybe your center is different?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would it be a reason to be DQ'ed if I didn't get any? First day supe said to me "sales leads look good in your book". I'm scratching. I am on the same route everyday for the first 30 and it's 95% resi. And the couple business stops I have had so far, are already using UPS. I don't know how I can get sales leads on this route. And I have never been much of a salesman.

The last thing that you should concern yourself with at this point is sales leads. You are on an established training route----any opportunites for growth have already been identified by the bid driver----you main concern at this point is qualifying. That being said, you sup is right in that a sold sales lead would certainly work in your favor toward qualifying.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You don't know Jack about this job till you have been doing it for a few months.....just focus on your driving skills and delivery methods, then go after some leads ! Good Luck !!!

ManInBrown

Thanks for all your responses. I never even thought to just hand in all the big shippers that we had at FedEx. I thought I had to make contact with the shipper to hand in a lead. Shooting fish in a barrel here:happy-very: Handing in about 20 tomorrow.​At least half already use UPS to some extent from what I saw while working at FedEx. But a few were strictly FedEx.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Thanks for all your responses. I never even thought to just hand in all the big shippers that we had at FedEx. I thought I had to make contact with the shipper to hand in a lead. Shooting fish in a barrel here:happy-very: Handing in about 20 tomorrow.​At least half already use UPS to some extent from what I saw while working at FedEx. But a few were strictly FedEx.

Solid move. We should know that these shippers left us but I wonder who is paying attention at times.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
No, you do not have to talk to the shipper - you just need submit the contact info. At least where I'm at, management doesn't scrutinize it -- they turn it into the sales department, which usually sends the info to a Salt Lake City (?) call center that filters out "real" leads from the "we were too lazy to even look into it" ones.

​Unfortunately, this was always my experience.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Holy crap! 20? Turn one in with my name on it to get them off my back.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Don't worry, your on car will turn in one in your name to meet his monthly quota.

This is exactly what will happen. Been at UPS almost 29 years now and have never turned in a sales lead. When sales leads are the flavor of the month, an on car sup will come to our satellite center, take my diad and enter the return address off a NDA that we recieved for delivery that day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
About as serious as an account manager learning how to deliver packages.

Delivered

I told my sup, when he had Business Cards printed up with my name on them as a Sales Rep I'd get him all the leads he could handle. Haven't heard a word from him since, yet somehow I have had 3 sold and producing leads. Even got a UPS coffee mug last week at PCM. I must be doing something right out there