How the heck do you get hired?

Maple7

So I applied for a peak driver job knowing that come December 31[SUP]st[/SUP] I’m unemployed. I got through the interview but the HR rep told me she was gonna get fired for doing so because Im over qualified because of my degree, experience with FedEx and from doing well in the state trucking competitions. I think she just didn’t want to give me any false hope of getting on FT after peak, which I totally understand. I know it’s a LONG shot but if I bust my butt you never know. Anyways so I took the drivers test and got a 10 which the guy said is way better than normal. They then sent me off to get my physical and DOT card which I did. This was just over a week ago and I was told HR would contact me but there has been nothing. I have called several numbers and each time I get voicemails which are never returned. I was told classes were to start any day now after my road test so its possible they already started.

Is this normal to be left 100 percent in the dark? I don’t even know if I’m supposed to get them my DOT card and drivers records or if they collect it. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Poor communication from management, your already half way hired. This is commonplace for the employees that currently work for the company.

UPSGUY72

So I applied for a peak driver job knowing that come December 31[SUP]st[/SUP] I’m unemployed. I got through the interview but the HR rep told me she was gonna get fired for doing so because Im over qualified because of my degree, experience with FedEx and from doing well in the state trucking competitions. I think she just didn’t want to give me any false hope of getting on FT after peak, which I totally understand. I know it’s a LONG shot but if I bust my butt you never know. Anyways so I took the drivers test and got a 10 which the guy said is way better than normal. They then sent me off to get my physical and DOT card which I did. This was just over a week ago and I was told HR would contact me but there has been nothing. I have called several numbers and each time I get voicemails which are never returned. I was told classes were to start any day now after my road test so its possible they already started.

Is this normal to be left 100 percent in the dark? I don’t even know if I’m supposed to get them my DOT card and drivers records or if they collect it. What do you guys think? Thanks!

They can't hire you till after Oct 1. There is a two week lay off window in Sept for Temp Drivers. If they need you they will call you. You have to go to school for two days so they could be waiting for a school to open up.

nocturnalbuck

i went through the same thing. call call call and no callbacks. suddenly i got a call one day to go to driver school starting 4 days later(had to give my present time job 2 day notice). then after i passed the schooling, i worked the 4 weeks of peak. then was on call for four months while working a day here or there. all that time i kept asking questions and nobody knew anything. in fact, i walked into the office one day, and the center manager asked "can i help you?" i replied, " well, i think i work here!" then he said, "stay by your phone".

UPSGUY72

Your only going to be a temp/ casual you will be let go just before Xmass. Temp driver can only be hired in June, July, Aug to cover vacations and Oct 1- Dec 31 to help with peak. During that time you could work 5 days a week or not it all depends on volume and the number of routes they put on each day.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
yeah, depending on where you live, the contract language is different...but the one thing is for sure...UPS is horrible with communication. I would say to you to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

JonFrum

The Rules may vary from place to place, but in general, Christmas Peak volume doesn't actually start October 1st. So you may not be hired until later on when the volume picks up. You also may be let go before December 31st. Probably December 24th.

As to driving permanently after December 31st, there is a Contract rule that existing part-timers fill six full-time jobs, and then the seventh is filled by a part-time supervisor, or an off-the-street hire, like yourself. Then the formula repeats. There is no guarantee UPS will need to hire anyone permanently. If they do, it will probably be quite a while after December 31st.

And then there's that cliff that Obama keeps driving our economy toward.

Jigawatts

You would be surprised at the number of UPS hourly employees who have degrees.

Not surprised at all. I know quite a few people who are "overqualified", myself included. Just surprised that human resources would note that a UPS hourly with an education is a bad thing.

Oh well, me can't talk now. Must move boxes.

happyboy

Poor communication from management, your already half way hired. This is commonplace for the employees that currently work for the company.

Lol i like it, Um good luck but don't hold your breath although I did see the training ups car on the road today in our area with a couple of new driver trainees.

Azrjn4864

They just told us at our center that they are hiring 5 drivers off the street for Xmas help... A few of those will have the option to stay on after peak... I am really sad about this since I am the one who was sent home from driving school and one of those jobs could have been mine... I was told when I got back that they would try to send me back without waiting a year since we had nobody else wanting to drive, but a new sup that has come in has stopped that and decided to hire off the street... Sucks for me, but it's my fault I didn't pass intergrad....