How To Allow Other Buildings Bid Into Feeders?

Overpaid Union Thug

I've heard that many hubs are desperate for feeder drivers and are about to exhaust their seniority lists (or have already) and will have to start letting other buildings in their locals to bid into those vacancies. What is likely the way this will be done? To me it seems like combining all of the fulltime seniority lists in the local and letting every building bid at the same time off that list is the fair way to handle it. Or divide the available vacancies among all of the buildings? Has anyone seen this happen before. I hear they're in deep trouble in package too.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We can bid routes local
Wide.

I
Believe we can only bid retirements or new routes. Anything else stays local.

It's pretty simple really. Works just like a regular bid except the sheet is sent out to every center in the local.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's how we do it here. When the local hub needs feeder drivers lists get hung at all the outlying buildings.

Overpaid Union Thug

We can bid routes local
Wide.

I
Believe we can only bid retirements or new routes. Anything else stays local.

It's pretty simple really. Works just like a regular bid except the sheet is sent out to every center in the local.
Well, if its simple we can be sure that my local wont be doing it. They'll appease certain buildings first.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
That's what is going on right now in Houston. Actually, when I first came into feeders in about '85, that was the way it was done. It was changed shortly after '85 to you had to be a driver in the building in which the run originated. If you want to drive mega mileage to get to work or relocate, you can do it, now I guess. They are really hurting for drivers here.

Bottom rung

That's how they should do it instead of going off the street locally. That would help lower the years these p/t who are working two jobs in my building and I'm sure many others. Unfortunately it makes sense so it probably won't happen in my local. I'll ask my ba.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

uote="Brownslave688, post: 1358632, member: 34439"]We are a brotherhood. There's no way that should fly. In fact I'd bet its against some labor laws.[/quote]
Im in the same local. Although it could never be proven given the circumstances of how this all came about. We have the biggest bldg in our district that is usually treated like gold because of the number of union members. Their was a shady instance when our last local leaders were in office that screwed everybody out of going to feeders from other bldgs. The bigger bldgs have a lot more union members than the smaller or extended centers and they have a lot more votes. It's not right but it happens. I'm kind of the person that will investigate and try to have hard facts for proof before acting. I've tried for years and their is nothing that I could find as concrete evidence. I've filed about 50 grievances on this feeder issue and lost every one of them. I didn't give up easy. I worded each grievance differently and even wrote one word for word that the ba walked me thru. For me not being able to do anything is a hard pill to swallow. This instance we are referring to was handled above our unions head and it actually bypassed the local. I tried to prove that was wrong, but no one has the grievance nor can it be found to look at who signed off on it. Trust me I've called Washington and met with the labor board on this and they were taking the stance that they really didn't want to get involved. They also informed me without proof their was nothing they could do. Proof is the hardest thing to obtain in this case. I wish everybody the best of luck with this as i worked on this for almost 2 years and got no where.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All proof would need to be was another driver with more seniority bidding but not getting the job.

Pretty pathetic our own union doesn't even always have our best interest in mind.

Ouch

All prof would need to be was another driver with more seniority bidding but not getting the job.

Pretty pathetic our own union doesn't even always have our best interest in mind.
We have done that but by us not being on one seniority list It screws that up.

Overpaid Union Thug

We have done that but by us not being on one seniority list It screws that up.
Right now I'm just worried about how they'll go about bidding out what WC doesn't fill. It needs to be done fairly and not any BS. In my opinion it should be done the way Jones mentioned. Offering it to one building before others would be friend$*#@ED up.

That's how we do it here. When the local hub needs feeder drivers lists get hung at all the outlying buildings.

What local? If I remember correctly you are in my state so I know it's not my local.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What local? If I remember correctly you are in my state so I know it's not my local.
Local 639, we're under the Atlantic Area supplement and I'm pretty sure all the locals covered under it handle feeder bids the same way. I've vacationed down your way but I don't live there, I'm a little further north in the Old Dominion.

Overpaid Union Thug

Local 639, we're under the Atlantic Area supplement and I'm pretty sure all the locals covered under it handle feeder bids the same way. I've vacationed down your way but I don't live there, I'm a little further north in the Old Dominion.

Cool. I have a feeling us smaller buildings are going to be left out of what's about to go down. The local only seems to care about two other buildings besides the main hub that, like Ouch stated, is treated like gold. The other two are a distance second and third in the pecking order. I have a strong feeling that those two buildings will be given preferential treatment and the rest of us will get little to not shot at feeders. As usual.

jaker

trolling
Our feeder bid list is open to everyone in the district

we have six hubs and we are now only asking drivers with almost 20years to go

Overpaid Union Thug

Our feeder bid list is open to everyone in the district

we have six hubs and we are now only asking drivers with almost 20years to go

Our local consists of one big hub, a smaller hub about 15 minutes away from the big hub, and a bunch of small extended centers anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour away from the main hub. Normally the main hub has all of the other buildings locked out of their feeders, (yet, they do the others' feeder work), but now they don't have enough people to fill the openings. So, now they will need to reach out to the other buildings. The question is what is the best and fairest way to do that?

Our local isn't known to do what's right when it comes to feeder work. Or package for that matter. Unless, of course, you work in the main hub. When it comes to feeder work they enjoy a rather ridiculous double standard. They seem to have the unwavering hand of God resting on their shoulders and the rest of us are pond scum.

Sent using BrownCafe App