How To Allow Other Buildings Bid Into Feeders?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My understanding is the company asked the union to ok bidding district wide to cover driver openings and the union signed off on it. At least down here.

GrayGhost

I've heard that many hubs are desperate for feeder drivers and are about to exhaust their seniority lists (or have already) and will have to start letting other buildings in their locals to bid into those vacancies. What is likely the way this will be done? To me it seems like combining all of the fulltime seniority lists in the local and letting every building bid at the same time off that list is the fair way to handle it. Or divide the available vacancies among all of the buildings? Has anyone seen this happen before. I hear they're in deep trouble in package too.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I do think it is time to open whites creek feeders up to the surrounding buildings. I don't think there will ever be a combined list though.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So who decides what buildings get to sign up for feeder work the company or the union.

The issue, is subject to collective bargaining.

It should be all. Not only certain buildings. One local. One brotherhood.

If your supplement doesn't address the issue....

Short of a Local Rider or (written) seniority practice, that is a "tuff nut" to crack.

My Local, has a seniority practice similar to this:

We can bid routes local wide.

I believe we can only bid retirements or new routes. Anything else stays local.

It's pretty simple really. Works just like a regular bid except the sheet is sent out to every center in the local.
That's how we do it here. When the local hub needs feeder drivers lists get hung at all the outlying buildings.

We also have a feeder dispatch procedure, that no other Local (in the country) has.

And.... is in writing. The company "now" regrets it. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Overpaid Union Thug

Whites Creek sure wasn't appeased in 1986. That fiasco is still costing people $ today.
I do think it is time to open whites creek feeders up to the surrounding buildings. I don't think there will ever be a combined list though.

Yep. I think most people can see why Whites Creek was pissed but that fiasco could have been avoided without making the bad decision that has put us in the fiasco we are in now. Having locked everyone out by itself wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Locking everyone out without ensuring that everyone else's work was protected from White Creek was. The problem now is that Whites Creek is going to the areas of the very buildings they locked out of their own and doing those building's work. And it's not only Massman's. If that isn't a double standard then I don't know what is. And there is apparently nothing that can be done about it. BS like this does nothing more than create hostility between buildings.We need a combined seniority list for both feeders and package now more than ever because the current practice is unfair and only benefits one building and allows it to take work from the others without any recourse. A combined list for package and feeders will make sure that no one will be passed up for jobs by people with less company seniority from other buildings like in 1986 because everyone will have had an opportunity to bid anywhere instead of being restricted to their own building. That is the only way to make it fair and right for everyone. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be so much better than our current fiasco.

But that's not even what this thread is about. Many people are wondering how UPS and the local will go about bidding the remaining positions to the other buildings once Whites Creek exhausts all of their seniority lists. It should be open to everyone in the local. Not just one or two specific buildings that just happen to be close by. If this is a one time shot then we definitely don't need to screw anyone out of what should be an opportunity for the entire local.

Last edited:

gorilla75jdw

I love you guys passion from the extended centers and Massman , but where was your bleeding hearts at when it was taking up to 14 years for us at "the creek" to go full time . The reason it took so long was the loophole our brothers were using to get into feeders at our hub , which held us in our part time positions for so long . I'm glad the grievance was filed and the loophole closed but on the other hand , as a real brother I would like to see our feeder jobs opened up to you guys outside of our hub after our brothers at the creek have been given an opportunity to go to feeders whether they are part or fulltime. Nobody was saying a word when you guys could come get our feeder jobs back then although we couldn't bid into yalls package car jobs , how was that fair ?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I love you guys passion from the extended centers and Massman , but where was your bleeding hearts at when it was taking up to 14 years for us at "the creek" to go full time . The reason it took so long was the loophole our brothers were using to get into feeders at our hub , which held us in our part time positions for so long . I'm glad the grievance was filed and the loophole closed but on the other hand , as a real brother I would like to see our feeder jobs opened up to you guys outside of our hub after our brothers at the creek have been given an opportunity to go to feeders whether they are part or fulltime. Nobody was saying a word when you guys could come get our feeder jobs back then although we couldn't bid into yalls package car jobs , how was that fair ?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Two wrongs don't make a right my brother. You must have missed the several posts where I explained my position on that issue. Where i said that I think most people (I'm one of them) would agree that Whites Creek was right in feeling robbed back then. But the loophole wasn't closed correctly. Now Whites Creek is doing feeder work at other buildings they've locked out. That is a double standard. You guys should have opened up package at Massmsn and the other buildings to Whites Creek (and vice versa) so that those situations couldn't happen again. The lockout was a kneejerk reaction that only ended up favoring Whites Creek. Now we have to watch what should be OUR feeder work be serviced by feeder drivers from Whites Creek and despite all the grievances there is nothing to stop it. My center could easily have one CPU run. But we don't because Whites Creek gets it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

GrayGhost

Two wrongs don't make a right my brother. You must have missed the several posts where I explained my position on that issue. Where i said that I think most people (I'm one of them) would agree that Whites Creek was right in feeling robbed back then. But the loophole wasn't closed correctly. Now Whites Creek is doing feeder work at other buildings they've locked out. That is a double standard. You guys should have opened up package at Massmsn and the other buildings to Whites Creek (and vice versa) so that those situations couldn't happen again. The lockout was a kneejerk reaction that only ended up favoring Whites Creek. Now we have to watch what should be OUR feeder work be serviced by feeder drivers from Whites Creek and despite all the grievances there is nothing to stop it. My center could easily have one CPU run. But we don't because Whites Creek gets it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

What makes feeder work belong to a building? Is there something in the contract book that says UPS must give work to certain buildings? I know they are sending 5 CPU runs to massman. Maybe UPS will create a run at your center. I think they created at least one new one at Murfreesboro a while back didn't they?

Overpaid Union Thug

What makes feeder work belong to a building? Is there something in the contract book that says UPS must give work to certain buildings? I know they are sending 5 CPU runs to massman. Maybe UPS will create a run at your center. I think they created at least one new one at Murfreesboro a while back didn't they?

Oh I see. If feeder opportunity is taken from Whites Creek then its the most unjust travesty of all ages but when the tables are turned its suddenly not an issue? And THAT is the mentality that has caused all of this mess to begin with. But don't worry.....you guys provide more votes for the local so the status quo will never change. You will always be able to crap on the little guys.

Sent using BrownCafe App

gorilla75jdw

Oh I see. If feeder opportunity is taken from Whites Creek then its the most unjust travesty of all ages but when the tables are turned its suddenly not an issue? And THAT is the mentality that has caused all of this mess to begin with. But don't worry.....you guys provide more votes for the local so the status quo will never change. You will always be able to crap on the little guys.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Again it was all good when everybody could bid to our feeder department back 10 years ago I guess . But now that you can't , everyone should have a bleeding heart for you guys . Oh , I get it now .

Anyways , I don't believe any of those other buildings even have a feeder department , or do they ? .

You guys attitudes sets a tone of entitlement . That in itself let's everybody at the Creek further know that , no matter that even if we want to help you guys your on here (Browncafe) with attitudes .

Some of us got passed up for full time positions atleast a decade by outsiders to the Creek because of a loophole . That cost each one of us roughly $400,000.00. Think about it like this a part time employee making at most 40 grand a year goes fulltime in feeders making a minimum of 80 grand . Now take that other 40 grand and multiply it times 10 (10 years) there's your 400 grand . That money right there let some of you guys from extended centers have a lifestyle that I had to wait atleast 10 extra years for . Does that seem fair to you , it doesn't to me or us , but yet we are supposed to roll over for you guys Hmmm ?!?!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

Again it was all good when everybody could bid to our feeder department back 10 years ago I guess . But now that you can't , everyone should have a bleeding heart for you guys . Oh , I get it now .

I've stated, more than several times, that you guys were getting screwed back whenever. But that doesn't make what's happening now right by a long shot. The only fair and logical way to have fixed that would have been to allow Whites Creek to bid into the other buildings' package jobs and vice versa so that it can't happen again.

Anyways , I don't believe any of those other buildings even have a feeder department , or do they ? .

Most of us don't. Want to know why? Because Whites Creek, the building that has locked the rest of us out, is being sent to our areas to do work we could be doing as CPU runs.

You guys attitudes sets a tone of entitlement . That in itself let's everybody at the Creek further know that , no matter that even if we want to help you guys your on here (Browncafe) with attitudes .

The only attitudes I'm seeing is an apparent disrespect and disregard for other buildings by Whites Creek. The few of us that have had anything to say about it here have made it perfectly clear that we supported your plight that caused the lockout. I even stated that the lockout itself wasn't a problem. The problem is that we are locked out, AND, much of the feeder work originating in our areas (all of it for some buildings) is being serviced by Whites Creek. How is that fair? And I'm not talking about regular feeder runs. I'm talking about local pickups that some buildings service with CPU drivers. Can't you see the hypocrisy in that? It's like if I tell all of my neighbors to keep themselves and their kids off my lawn but then the next day I'm on their lawns with my family.

Some of us got passed up for full time positions atleast a decade by outsiders to the Creek because of a loophole . That cost each one of us roughly $400,000.00. Think about it like this a part time employee making at most 40 grand a year goes fulltime in feeders making a minimum of 80 grand . Now take that other 40 grand and multiply it times 10 (10 years) there's your 400 grand . That money right there let some of you guys from extended centers have a lifestyle that I had to wait atleast 10 extra years for . Does that seem fair to you , it doesn't to me or us , but yet we are supposed to roll over for you guys Hmmm ?!?!

Sent using BrownCafe App

I think you are totally misunderstanding here. How are we asking for you to "roll over for us." We aren't. We simply want things to be fair. The way it is now is not, in any way, fair. Well, apparently in your eyes it is. Again..I've stated several times that that was a friend####ed up situation and would we would have been pissed too. But how it was handled was downright wrong. Instead you guys should have fought for bids into the extended centers package jobs with the understanding that the entire local would be open to everyone. That way no one would be passed up like that ever again. That is the only fair way to do it. It certainly isn't fair now. That's why once they open feeders up to all of us after exhausting the lists at Whites Creek I think they should leave it that way. But only with the understanding that package will be open across the board too. We can't have one without the other. It would actually help Whites Creek in the long run. Once all this hiring for feeders is done you guys will end up with a pretty young bunch of package drivers. That waiting list will go back to being 10-15 years again. Opening package to the whole local will bring down that wait time I'm sure but also will allow EVERYONE a shot at feeders for the whole local instead of just giving most of it to a building that has locked everyone else out. One seniority list would solve all of these problems. It really would. It would unite us. The only people that should have a problem with that is the company. They want us divided. Divide and conquer.

gorilla75jdw

I am in total agreement with you on the issue . I think what rubs me and others from the Creek the wrong way is I or we you get on Browncafe and read some of the posts on here that seem to be bashing "the creek" . It's really pointless at this point to go tit for tat on irrelevant things that have been said in some of the post on here , but that is why I said wrote some of the things that you read in this thread . All we can do at this point is to agree that in the future in regards to how feeders and package jobs are to be filled things should be done a little different than how it's done right now at our facility's .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I am in total agreement with you on the issue . I think what rubs me and others from the Creek the wrong way is I or we you get on Browncafe and read some of the posts on here that seem to be bashing "the creek" . It's really pointless at this point to go tit for tat on irrelevant things that have been said in some of the post on here , but that is why I said wrote some of the things that you read in this thread . All we can do at this point is to agree that in the future in regards to how feeders and package jobs are to be filled things should be done a little different than how it's done right now at our facility's .

Sent using BrownCafe App
Exactly! That's exactly what my point is. That things need to be done differently in both package and feeders in the future. If not both then things will never be fair for all. The problem is that there have been numerous grievances or attempts to do this by people in other buildings but it's always shot down. The local, from what I've heard, won't touch it. That's why we need help from you guys at the creek. It would help you guys to. Especially once all these feeders are filled and all the vacated package jobs are filled. Extended centers can't get enough support without the creek. We aren't bashing you. If anything we are asking for your help.

Sent using BrownCafe App