How To Allow Other Buildings Bid Into Feeders?

gorilla75jdw

I understand now what your saying . Let's keep up the momentum and I have spoke with our BA , I think most are In agreement with this topic at the creek . I really think it boils down to Ken Woods at the International in Tampa Florida , he is the key to the whole problem.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I understand now what your saying . Let's keep up the momentum and I have spoke with our BA , I think most are In agreement with this topic at the creek . I really think it boils down to Ken Woods at the International in Tampa Florida , he is the key to the whole problem.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Really? Has this been viewed by that many people there? I didn't think that this board was that popular, or should I say known, there. Was the BA on board when you asked about this? I've heard there are several issues that keep this idea from happening. Something about the company threatening to pull a "Change of Operations." Huh? Seems like they'd be cutting their own throats with that. And also that Ken Woods didn't favor the idea. I guess that's what you meant by him being the key to the whole problem. If enough members of the local want this then I don't see why he should be against it. I don't dare speak for everyone in the other buildings. Not even mine. But I'm sure most would agree that it would be worth bidding package jobs throughout the local if feeders were bid throughout the local too. I certainly would. It simply will not work without package being opened up too. It would just be a repeat of what already happened to you guys. A local wide seniority list would help everyone in the long run. Probably even sooner than that.

gorilla75jdw

This topic has and is still being talked about daily amongst our young and old feeder drivers , I can assure you of that . I to believe that the older drivers share more of the same ideas you guys at extended centers have . I think the difference between the old heads and 20 year heads and younger is anybody who actually worked in the hub for 13 plus years because they didn't have that opportunity that is their now wants everybody to have to earn their job the same way alot of us had to . Alot of the old heads started UPS as drivers and did not have to go thru what we did but anyhow I think all of us at the creek believe you guys should certainly be given the chance for a feeder job after all our people have been exhausted.
I can assure you also that our BA is in agreement with this , I do not believe the President is though ( Lenden Grisham) which ultimately decides how this issue is resolved . You guys should start calling his office daily and voice your thoughts with him or his voicemail frequently . And yes Ken Woods in Tampa is a huge problem to this issue . I can explain that later .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I
This topic has and is still being talked about daily amongst our young and old feeder drivers , I can assure you of that . I to believe that the older drivers share more of the same ideas you guys at extended centers have . I think the difference between the old heads and 20 year heads and younger is anybody who actually worked in the hub for 13 plus years because they didn't have that opportunity that is their now wants everybody to have to earn their job the same way alot of us had to . Alot of the old heads started UPS as drivers and did not have to go thru what we did but anyhow I think all of us at the creek believe you guys should certainly be given the chance for a feeder job after all our people have been exhausted.
I can assure you also that our BA is in agreement with this , I do not believe the President is though ( Lenden Grisham) which ultimately decides how this issue is resolved . You guys should start calling his office daily and voice your thoughts with him or his voicemail frequently . And yes Ken Woods in Tampa is a huge problem to this issue . I can explain that later .

Sent using BrownCafe App

So, you think those two are the holdup? I think if enough people show interest then that's what should settle the issue. Not just one or two guys. I don't see why anyone that has really took the time to think this through (which I have) would be against it. It would eliminate many of the problems that comes with having each building as separate entities.

As for the people that say that they had to work 13 years to go fulltime so, so should everyone else..... I'm obviously not one of them. I waited 9 and that's long for an extended center. This idea would reduce that time for Whites Creek, as well as some of the extended centers, while allowing people in extended centers a better shot at feeders.

The best thing to do for people that aren't convinced is to look at how it works in other locals that already do this. From what I've heard here it seems to work fine. When a new package job is added or vacancy is needed to be filed it would go up to bid in all buildings. The same for feeders. I think some locals even post their biannual route bids in all buildings. 22.3s would have to be included too otherwise we'd end up with a repeat of what happened between Massmsn/Whites Creek because combo workers can bid into feeders too.

I'm sure there would be some minor kinks in this but the local could work with the company on those. It would definitely be better than what we have now. Now is the time. Those 10-13 year waits will be back at the Creek after these feeder bids are finished. And soon there will be lots of retirements in package at most of the extended centers because many of them were built in the early/mid 80s.

I'm definitely interested in why Ken Woods and our president aren't in favor is this idea. I was planning on bringing this up at the next meeting if nobody else did. I'd like to see someone from the Creek initiate this. It has a better chance that way.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

av8torntn

Just down the road in Memphis all three buildings can bid on feeder jobs. Not sure why it would be difficult to work it out where you guys are.

Overpaid Union Thug

Just down the road in Memphis all three buildings can bid on feeder jobs. Not sure why it would be difficult to work it out where you guys are.
"
Yeah really! But can those three bid into each other's package departments too?
From what I understand legal issues might arise because of the grievance that locked everyone out. Just what I was told.

Wow. It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated. LOL

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

av8torntn

"
Yeah really! But can those three bid into each other's package departments too?

Wow. It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated. LOL

Sent using BrownCafe App

Two of the three buildings can bid to each other's package and all three can bid to feeders. It wasn't always that way but over ten years ago they combined the feeder dept into one. They still have feeder drivers at all three buildings but we work off one senority list.

Overpaid Union Thug

Two of the three buildings can bid to each other's package and all three can bid to feeders. It wasn't always that way but over ten years ago they combined the feeder dept into one. They still have feeder drivers at all three buildings but we work off one senority list.
Interesting. Why only two? And are there only three buildings in that local?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

av8torntn

Interesting. Why only two? And are there only three buildings in that local?

Sent using BrownCafe App

It went down years ago and I think it was ups that wanted to exclude the third building but I honestly don't know why it got worded the way it did. I wasn't privileged to the negotiations and we didn't even get to vote on it.

Yes only three ups buildings in our local.

Overpaid Union Thug

The man filed a grievance and won at the panel. So now you want to just say sorry we changed our mind everyone can bid to whites creek feeder again?

Yeah something like that. But only if you guys can bid into package and feeders in the other buildings. And vice versa. But if not then we at least want to be able to do the CPU work available in OUR areas instead of having to watch WC feeders come and get it. During the past couple of days I've heard that when WC files on other building's feeder drivers getting CPUs in WC's area they win. But when we all file on WC feeders for doing CPU work in our areas we always lose. That has to stop. Either make it fair for everyone and open feeders and package up to everyone across the board or at least drop the double standard in feeders. That's all most of us want. And it sounds like, according to what "Gorilla75jdw" stated several posts up (or down depending on how you have yours set up)in post #43, many in your building agree.

Overpaid Union Thug

How many UPS buildings in 480?

I'm not 100% but I think there is 11 including Whites Creek. A few are rather far from that hub but most are within a short or decent commute.

Off the top of my head....

Whites Creek, Massman, Clarksville, Dickson, Colombia, Lawrenceburg, Murfreesboro, Franklin, Cookville, Sparta, Tullahoma

GrayGhost

Yeah something like that. But only if you guys can bid into package and feeders in the other buildings. And vice versa. But if not then we at least want to be able to do the CPU work available in OUR areas instead of having to watch WC feeders come and get it. During the past couple of days I've heard that when WC files on other building's feeder drivers getting CPUs in WC's area they win. But when we all file on WC feeders for doing CPU work in our areas we always lose. That has to stop. Either make it fair for everyone and open feeders and package up to everyone across the board or at least drop the double standard in feeders. That's all most of us want. And it sounds like, according to what "Gorilla75jdw" stated several posts up (or down depending on how you have yours set up)in post #43, many in your building agree.

I'm not aware of any other building's feeders getting CPU's in WC area. Can you give me an example? Yes I agree it should be opened to all. We have part timers that have been with the company 5 to 6 months getting the opportunity to go to feeders before some of you full timers and I think its wrong. What can be done? Is that grievance not a legal binding document?

GrayGhost

That's all I can think of too. Cookeville,Sparta,and Tullahoma about an hour and a half away. Columbia and Lawrenceburg even further. Clarksville and Dickson 45 min to an hour. Massman 15min.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not aware of any other building's feeders getting CPU's in WC area. Can you give me an example? Yes I agree it should be opened to all. We have part timers that have been with the company 5 to 6 months getting the opportunity to go to feeders before some of you full timers and I think its wrong. What can be done? Is that grievance not a legal binding document?
I would imagine that there is either no CPUs being made by other buildings in WC's area or very few because that seems to be a no no when it comes to protecting WC's work. But I can assure you that WC is coming into other building's areas for CPUs. See the hypocrisy there? When you really think about it that grievance has little or nothing to do with these CPUs. The lockout shouldn't exist when such a double standard is allowed to continue. But the legal standing of that grievance is binding as you suggest. But that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be undone (fairly of course) or that the double standard can't be addressed and eliminated.

Exactly where is that grievance documented? In a rider? It certainly isn't in the Master or Southern Supplement. That's something I haven't seen anyone mention here and no one I've talked to in any building knows. I just find it hard to believe that it can't be undone. Especially with the predicament WC is in with trying to fill feeder and package positions.