How to become a driver?

cpt.brad

What do I need to do to get me in the drivers seat the fastest? I mean its seem like there is more to it than just signing the book. Im just wondering.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

May I ask what is the book? I'm not familiar with it.

Bid sheet. Job openings within our centers are posted as bid sheets. They list the position, the qualifications and the time period which the bid will be posted. Positions are then filled in seniority order of those employees who signed and are qualified to fill the position.

UPSGUY72

All you need to know is to sign every job bid that you would like no matter what anyone tells you. If you don't get it so be it, if you don't sign and the guy below you gets it you then look and feel like and idiot.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I wouldn't wish this job on my enemies. If you plan to stay single and you don't care about starting a family, then go for it. But, if you want to be there to help your wife (or hubby) raise your kids, then look elsewhere for a job. You'll be lucky to get home by 8pm each night. Sorry if I seem negative, but I've been driving long enough to remember the days when I could enjoy dinner with my family during the week and could help my wife with chores. Now, I consider it an early day if I pull into my driveway by 8:00pm....and that's happened only once in the past month! My wife has become a single parent. I'm only there to provide a paycheck. Sure, I am well paid, but I have no life outside of UPS. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

UPSGUY72

I wouldn't wish this job on my enemies. If you plan to stay single and you don't care about starting a family, then go for it. But, if you want to be there to help your wife (or hubby) raise your kids, then look elsewhere for a job. You'll be lucky to get home by 8pm each night. Sorry if I seem negative, but I've been driving long enough to remember the days when I could enjoy dinner with my family during the week and could help my wife with chores. Now, I consider it an early day if I pull into my driveway by 8:00pm....and that's happened only once in the past month! My wife has become a single parent. I'm only there to provide a paycheck. Sure, I am well paid, but I have no life outside of UPS. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

It can't be that bad your still working for UPS. I use to work at a paper mill 6 days a week swing shift. My only day off would be either m, t, or friend. My wife prefers this job than the other one.

Scuderia

What do you all drivers that complain about the hours do on the weekends then? Lock yourself in the basement until Monday morning?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
It can't be that bad your still working for UPS.

Got a mortgage, kids in college, bills to pay. Have you noticed the economy lately? Have you noticed how many folks are unemployed? If there were somewhere I could go, I would do so in a heartbeat. I still work for UPS because I am trapped in this job.

brown_trousers

There is no shortcut.

There are shortcuts every once in a while. A small town many hours from me was hiring feeder drivers right off the street , well that was the rumor at least. But I bet at any point in time you could find some small town way off the map that would hire right off the street or have much quicker p/t to driver waiting time.

satellitedriver

Got a mortgage, kids in college, bills to pay. Have you noticed the economy lately? Have you noticed how many folks are unemployed? If there were somewhere I could go, I would do so in a heartbeat. I still work for UPS because I am trapped in this job.
You do not know how good you have it.
Your litany of mortgage, kids and bad economy
has been, and is, the common lot for every working family.
My father not being at the family table for daily dinner was common practice . He was working his second job to keep food on the table.
I could give you a litany of what my father had to do-(and endure)- to provide for his 6 children and a litany of what I have had to do, as a working man.
Granted, working for UPS has taken a turn for the worst.
Man up or back away.
You could always quit and work for McDonalds and eat a Happy meal with your family while you try and figure out how you are going to pay your bills.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are shortcuts every once in a while. A small town many hours from me was hiring feeder drivers right off the street , well that was the rumor at least. But I bet at any point in time you could find some small town way off the map that would hire right off the street or have much quicker p/t to driver waiting time.

That is not a shortcut. Our contract has provisions for off-the-street hires.

Sometimes off-the-street hires turn out to be pretty good employees.:wink2:

Bboop

Hell yeah man go for it. Youll be basking in the sun when you retire. But the time to work and provide is now when your able to. You may feel like you regret it while your doing it. But when its time to retire you will thank god for hooking up with UPS. :peaceful: My X has been working for UPS for over 11 years parttime he has no ambition. Still a parttimer. He would rather work partime at UPS and full time at Jiffy lube. Lmao.... Yep thats right you heard me correct and guess what he still gets home after 9pm and only has one day off. lol Well stupid is What stupid does...Forest Gump