How to change sorts

coolerguy

I was just wondering how can a loader change sorts without using school terms. I was told by a full time supe that a letter in writing is required but wasn't sure what to put for the terms. I want to change sorts but not for school reasons. I've been on the night sort since july 2007.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Simply write the letter stating the reason(s) for the request. School would help but is not mandatory. There may be someone on the sort that you are looking to go to who may also be looking for a change.

JonFrum

If you mean changing from one Sort to another within your building, this National Master language applies:

Article 22 --- Part-Time Employees
Section 4
. . .
The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum:

The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teams...06 09 Final UPS Master Agreemnt 2008-2013.pdf

Check your Supplement for possible language as well.
http://tdu.org/node/1617

22.34life

dude write all the letters you want look it up in the contract all you want if it aint school related it aint happening

1000RR

It does not have to be school related for you to change SORTS WITHIN YOUR BUILDING. There has to be an open spot on the shift you want, and they have to go by seniority. At least in central states that how it works. They cannot hire someone new on the sort you want if there is somebody wanting to transfer from another sort. I think you have to put it in writing though.

22.34life

It does not have to be school related for you to change SORTS WITHIN YOUR BUILDING. There has to be an open spot on the shift you want, and they have to go by seniority. At least in central states that how it works. They cannot hire someone new on the sort you want if there is somebody wanting to transfer from another sort. I think you have to put it in writing though.
have you ever known anyone who has done this cause i have only known one person who switched sorts for non school related reasons and he had hell doing it.like so many other people at ups you give advice to what is possilbe rather than what is probable.

1000RR

I know of many that have done this in my center. I work the local sort along with 10 others. I can tell you that out of the other 10, 5 use to work the preload. In my center there are only 2 sorts, the local sort and the preload. 4 out of those 5 guys moved to the local sort because they do not like the preload operation in my building. The preload here has about 15 guys, and 3 of those use to work the local sort. So at least in my area it seems pretty easy to change granted there is an opening.