How to deliver large office buildings with suites? Question to drivers.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
If I find the pkg and come back within an hour or so it is dup stop---if it is much later in the day it is a separate stop.

Interesting, I think each BA has their own agenda completely separate and isolated from what corporate dictates. So Upstate, in your example if you had a stop with a NDA and a +1 and were unable to locate the ground, having to return later in the day after locating the ground, it's a new stop?

Our BA always gripes and pisses about that and we are told to DUP the stop.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Different tracking number means separate stop not duplicate. That's just another way the idiots try and :censored2: you. Bad enough the numbers are nowhere even close to being real in the first place.

scooby0048

If I find it right away---dup stop.
If I can't find it ---separate stop.
Sent using BrownCafe App

We need your BA...our blown out mall driver sometimes returns 5 or more times and she never gets credit for going back, all because of his making us DUP the stop.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If their dumb enough to put it in as a duplicate that's on them. I wouldn't do it, their only screwing themselves. Technically I don't think they can do a dam thing about it if they don't put it in as a duplicate. Show me where it states its a rule and then I will do what it tells me to do it. If its not on paper then its not a rule. Problem solved feel me.

scooby0048

If their dumb enough to put it in as a duplicate that's on them. I wouldn't do it, their only screwing themselves. Technically I don't think they can do a dam thing about it if they don't put it in as a duplicate. Show me where it states its a rule and then I will do what it tells me to do it. If its not on paper then its not a rule. Problem solved feel me.

Well, again..."work as directed" so she or we have to DUP stops like that.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its just them cheating us out of numbers. I wouldn't do it, im just saying. If that's what they have to do to stay off the radar, im not hatin, I totally get it and id probably follow it too. Its different at every center the things you have to do to try and stay off the radar. I think all of us can agree on that. :happy:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When our volume is low and routes get cut I wind up delivering to a two-story office building with an elevator. I have found the best way is to prerecord all of the stops in the car and then load the handcart with the bulkiest stop on the bottom.

bumped

Different tracking number means separate stop not duplicate. That's just another way the idiots try and :censored2: you. Bad enough the numbers are nowhere even close to being real in the first place.

It depends the way your looking at it. I duplicate stop, because I don't care about bonus and I don't care about my numbers. Well, there is one number I care about, my stop count. I don't want to be inflating my stop counts on paper with duplicate stops(especially the easy stops when I'm delivering a found piece while I'm picking up). Management sees these stop counts and thinks I can do more stops because my ending stop counts show it. Guess what, my stop counts go up, and my fight is to keep my stop counts low.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We need your BA...our blown out mall driver sometimes returns 5 or more times and she never gets credit for going back, all because of his making us DUP the stop.

Are you talking about leaving and then having to come back to the mall 5 separate times? Why in the world would she be doing that?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When our volume is low and routes get cut I wind up delivering to a two-story office building with an elevator. I have found the best way is to prerecord all of the stops in the car and then load the handcart with the bulkiest stop on the bottom.

I respectfully disagree with your methods for delivering this particular stop. Prerecording does not save time, especially in a building that (relatively) small.

soberups

I respectfully disagree with your methods for delivering this particular stop. Prerecording does not save time, especially in a building that (relatively) small.
It reduces unnecessary package handling and minimizes customer contact time. The UPS method is to load multiple stops onto a handcart, go into the store, unload the packages for that store into a line on the floor, scan, then obtain a signature. In most cases you will have to then re-stack the packages to clear floor space, and the process of lining them up and scanning them gives the customer time to interfere, inspect boxes, ask questions etc.

My method is better. I scan all the packages in the package car while loading them in delivery order onto the handcart, and prerecord each separate stop. This allows me to be sure that I have every package for that address and that I know which consignees I have to deliver to. Upon arriving at the delivery point for each consignee, I place their packages in a pile, pull that stop out of prerecord, get a signature, and leave. The last stop I deliver to...which would be the heaviest and bulkiest one loaded on the bottom of the cart...gets their pile pushed up against the wall as I pull my handcart out from under it. Much easier than doing it UPS's way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your method may work for you but is not necessarily better.

I deliver to a medical office complex with three separate bldgs., each with multiple offices on 3-4 floors. There are days when I will have as many as 30 pkgs (McKesson) for one of the bldgs. I will start with the bldg. in the middle as I know that the eye doctor closes between 11:30 and noon for lunch. If I do need the cart, I will load the top floor on the bottom and work my way up to the bottom floor, making sure the number of pkgs on the cart matches what I have in EDD. I will start on the bottom floor, then go all the way to the top floor and will use the stairs (very slow elevator) for the 2nd and 3rd floors. On those days when I have the 30 pkgs, I will sort them in the car by suite number and load the heaviest stop first. When I get to the delivery point, I will scan the packages as I take them off the cart and neatly stack them. I do not take them off, put them in a row, scan them and stack them in to a neat pile----I do agree that doing this in an office environment is a waste of time. There are days when I do scan the packages for a single stop in the car as I am loading them. Again, no need to prerecord----I don't see the benefit of doing this.

Do stops in prerecord display the suite number along with the address or is it just the address?

Johney

Sober,
Again do you know who you're arguing with about methods? Quit now you'll never win this. Only his are correct and what we all do is wrong.

soberups

Your method may work for you but is not necessarily better.

I deliver to a medical office complex with three separate bldgs., each with multiple offices on 3-4 floors. There are days when I will have as many as 30 pkgs (McKesson) for one of the bldgs. I will start with the bldg. in the middle as I know that the eye doctor closes between 11:30 and noon for lunch. If I do need the cart, I will load the top floor on the bottom and work my way up to the bottom floor, making sure the number of pkgs on the cart matches what I have in EDD. I will start on the bottom floor, then go all the way to the top floor and will use the stairs (very slow elevator) for the 2nd and 3rd floors. On those days when I have the 30 pkgs, I will sort them in the car by suite number and load the heaviest stop first. When I get to the delivery point, I will scan the packages as I take them off the cart and neatly stack them. I do not take them off, put them in a row, scan them and stack them in to a neat pile----I do agree that doing this in an office environment is a waste of time. There are days when I do scan the packages for a single stop in the car as I am loading them. Again, no need to prerecord----I don't see the benefit of doing this.

Do stops in prerecord display the suite number along with the address or is it just the address?
Stops in prerecord show either the suite# or the consignee name.

My method works better for me because I seldom have more than 10 or 15 pieces for 3 or 4 stops loaded on the cart. There are no office buildings of the size you describe in my town so your method may indeed be better for your particular situation. What I have found over the years is that when you line up packages on the floor in front of the consignee in order to scan and count them, the consignee will inevitably want to spend time looking at and inspecting each one ("what is this? Who ordered this? This one looks damaged. I think those are supposed to go over there.") whereas if the only thing they see is a neatly stacked pile and a DIAD being held out to them all ready to sign, they are much less likely to want to tear into that pile themselves and start looking at everything while you stand there waiting. Plus most retail establishments have limited floor space in their back room/receiving areas so if you have a big row of packages lined up on the floor they will want you to stack them up anyway.

soberups

Sober,
Again do you know who you're arguing with about methods? Quit now you'll never win this. Only his are correct and what we all do is wrong.
His way may indeed work better-for him. I know what works for me. I also know that the textbook UPS methods we are supposed to follow result in excess package handling and are a huge waste of time and energy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober,

Please explain how "Your method may work for you but is not necessarily better" equates to "Only is are correct and what we all do is wrong."

soberups

Lets say you have 5 boxes that weigh 30 lbs apiece loaded on shelf 6 going to one stop, and that you need to park and handtruck them in to the stop.

According to UPS methods you should (a) move the packages from the shelf to the floor by the back door (b) go around behind the car and unload the packages from the floor down onto the handtruck (c) wheel the handtruck into the stop (d) unload the packages off of the handtruck and line them up in a row on the floor to scan and then (e) re-stack the packages if the customer requests it to get them out of the way. In other words...you are handling each box 4 separate times for a total of 600 pounds of weight handled.

What I do is lay the handcart down in the back of the package compartment, and scan each package as I load it onto the cart. I then slide the cart down the back bumper, keeping my back straight and using my glutes ( the strongest muscles in the body) and upper arms to bear the load while my 265 lb ass serves as a counterweight. I wheel the cart in, push the pile up against a wall or fixed object, and pull the handcart out from underneath it. Instead of handling each package 4 separate times, I have only handled it ONCE and instead of 600 lbs I have handled 150. If the customer wants to tear that pile apart and spread it out to look at it they are still free to do so but the burden of doing so is on them not me and 99% of the time they just sign the DIAD and I am on my way. That results in a 450 lb difference in the amount of weight handled at one stop; multiply that out over a 27 year career and we start talking about thousands of tons less weight and wear and tear on the body. It adds up, trust me.