How to do you get around

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't understand how Memphis expects us to make service without the tools we need. And expects us to use our own phones.
That's because Fred would rather spend his money on influential politicians who pass bills into law that screw us over.

When it comes down to the blue collar worker, Fred is the cheapest bastard on Earth.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I am totally shocked AND dismayed by the disgraceful advice being tendered to a new potential courier! PER POLICY-there are NO electronic devices permitted in the cab of your truck, and it is PROHIBITED to look at a map when driving! 'Hello There' should spend hours of his/her own time driving around learning the route and MEMORIZE the map! THAT is what FEDEX expects from a true courier.:wince:

5yearsleft

Half of our station has been DRA for over a year, the rest of us are still SRA. The people across the belt who have DRA, hate it. (experienced couriers) People criss-crossing over each other, routes running east-west, when they should be north-south, etc. Management has no plans to switch the rest of us over to DRA.

I am totally shocked AND dismayed by the disgraceful advice being tendered to a new potential courier! PER POLICY-there are NO electronic devices permitted in the cab of your truck, and it is PROHIBITED to look at a map when driving! 'Hello There' should spend hours of his/her own time driving around learning the route and MEMORIZE the map! THAT is what FEDEX expects from a true courier.:wince:

Got it, thanks..

Artee

Here's a simple question. Why wont the company provide Maps, GPS or Cell phones. They provide Cell Phone for the managers. How and why would they think we should have to provide this ourselves. And Cell phones are not allowed while driving or in any company vehicle. How should we run our routes.

I hope you are being sarcastic. If after 20+ years of being a courier and you don't know how to run a route without the aid of an electronic device you have regressed. And people wonder why the pay at FedEx is so bad. If you are not going to use your brain and learn route knowledge and rather just be a robot and do what the computer tells you, you will get compensated accordingly. Jobs that require the use of a few brain cells usually pay higher than those that don't.

Artee

Not sure what a "DRA", "SRA" is but I'll look into it and it sounds helpful to my situation.

It sounds like you need to find another job that would be a better match for you. The basic skills test would have probably weeded you out if FedEx were still allowed to administer it. You obviously don't have the basic skills if you cannot read and map and determine the most efficient way to make a few deliveries.

It sounds like you need to find another job that would be a better match for you. The basic skills test would have probably weeded you out if FedEx were still allowed to administer it. You obviously don't have the basic skills if you cannot read and map and determine the most efficient way to make a few deliveries.

..I never said I can't read a map.. I simply asked how was one to deliver packages without major mileage diffrences between stops but if the only way is a map and its part of the job than no problem with me.

I use my gps everyday as I do not have the convenience of being on the same routes everyday. I am one of the best couriers in my station according to my manager. I actually learn the roads and streets better by using the gps then trying to figure out a map. I've learned that you do whatever it takes to get the job done in a good time otherwise you get your ass chewed for lates and missing pickups times.

FedExer267

We had a driver a driver suspended for using GPS. No electronics are to be used in the cab of a FedEx vehicle.
That's Funny. The Contractors hand out GPS at my building when you start and the majority of the drivers use them all day everyday and then wonder why it takes so long to get done. Nothing beats a dot map... I will take a dot map anyday of the week over a GPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had a driver a driver suspended for using GPS. No electronics are to be used in the cab of a FedEx vehicle.

Yep. I see couriers and RTDs wearing Bluetooths frequently, as well as employees busily studying the GPS on their smartphones, while driving out of the station. Gee, why would someone wear a Bluetooth if they weren't going to be talking on the phone?

Management says nothing, unless, of course, the employee is on the shatlist or there is an incident and/or accident. Then, and only then, is the policy mentioned or enforced.

Goldilocks

I hope you are being sarcastic. If after 20+ years of being a courier and you don't know how to run a route without the aid of an electronic device you have regressed. And people wonder why the pay at FedEx is so bad. If you are not going to use your brain and learn route knowledge and rather just be a robot and do what the computer tells you, you will get compensated accordingly. Jobs that require the use of a few brain cells usually pay higher than those that don't.

Artee, you do not understand what I am saying. Routes are not the same everyday. Sometimes it means going out of YOUR regular area. Then what? Not being able to use the companies WiFi to look up stops. Not being provided with a Mapsco or Map. Glad you know every street in your city, but who does? Are you using DRA which maps are provided? What about being thrown on an SRA route that you have never been in that area. How are you suppose to get around? The company needs to provide maps or allow and pay for our GPS systems. Simple as that.

Goldilocks

Yep. I see couriers and RTDs wearing Bluetooths frequently, as well as employees busily studying the GPS on their smartphones, while driving out of the station. Gee, why would someone wear a Bluetooth if they weren't going to be talking on the phone?

Management says nothing, unless, of course, the employee is on the shatlist or there is an incident and/or accident. Then, and only then, is the policy mentioned or enforced.

Exactly, remember knowing your first 3 stops, then every time you are in the back, looking at your next 3 stops. We memorized our routes. Now they look at numbers generated by roads. On check rides our managers would ask us our next 3 stops and write them down to make sure we were right.

Goldilocks

You obviously run the same route every day...

Bankrupt

Exactly, remember knowing your first 3 stops, then every time you are in the back, looking at your next 3 stops. We memorized our routes. Now they look at numbers generated by roads. On check rides our managers would ask us our next 3 stops and write them down to make sure we were right.
I haven't had a checkride in three years
Probably because when my current mgr gave me one all I did was rip the current state of fedex and then asked him where he wanted to eat lunch and that I'd be back in an hr to get him.

Sent using BrownCafe App