How to fight a rollaway accident

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In the OP's situation, will his manager get any discipline for lack of training?
I have a few trucks that only have neutral and a parking brake. I make a big deal out of it if a different driver takes one of them out. I have chocks in those trucks too and make sure the drivers know where they are. It seems pretty negligent to fail to address this before the driver leaves.

All vehicles should have a working parking brake. The idea that you have to rely on a chock and/or wheel curbing is ridiculous. A professional driver would have curbed the wheels properly and not operated a truck in the first place without an operational parking brake. I use my chock as insurance if the brake fails or someone hits my truck. I always test the parking brake as part of a pre-trip. which I actually perform every day because it's my ass in the seat.

One of the best examples of this extra layer of safety is fire departments, who always chock their trucks, even on level ground, just as an extra measure of safety. And it's a big metal chock, not some wimpy tug chock.

Last edited:
All vehicles should have a working parking brake. The idea that you have to rely on a chock and/or wheel curbing is ridiculous. A professional driver would have curbed the wheels properly and not operated a truck in the first place without an operational parking brake. I use my chock as insurance if the brake fails or someone hits my truck. I always test the parking brake as part of a pre-trip. which I actually perform every day because it's my ass in the seat.

One of the best examples of this extra layer of safety is fire departments, who always chock their trucks, even on level ground, just as an extra measure of safety. And it's a big metal chock, not some wimpy tug chock.
I never got the proper training on how to use the electric trucks. So I never knew the the goods and bad of it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fire departments chock their trucks to make sure that they don't move as they must keep them running while pumping water/foam

I am curious as to why you would put a chock out after someone hits your truck.

It will be fine

I have chocks in my trucks because those parking brake handles aren't designed to be pulled 150 times a day, so some part of it breaks about every 2 years. While the driver should be checking the operation of the parking brake every morning, it's still my responsibility to make sure they know what to do if it fails, where the chocks are while they wait for the mechanic, etc. It doesn't sound like Express management feels the same.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fire departments chock their trucks to make sure that they don't move as they must keep them running while pumping water/foam

I am curious as to why you would put a chock out after someone hits your truck.

If someone hits the truck at a low enough speed, the chock might be just enough to help it not move much at all. I use the chock before, as in it's already under the wheel, Dave. Where I live, the fire trucks are chocked, running or not.