How to file grievance

ski or die

Ski or Die
1st you have to notify your supervisor verbally of your intent to file. Then contact your steward for the paperwork and copy of contract. If you have a time clock, be sure and date stamp it. Submit to your steward. If your supervisor comes unglued when you notify him of your intent, don't discuss it further with him unless your steward is present. A witness is invaluable. Management does seem to have a knack for distorting things.

1st you have to notify your supervisor verbally of your intent to file. Then contact your steward for the paperwork and copy of contract. If you have a time clock, be sure and date stamp it. Submit to your steward. If your supervisor comes unglued when you notify him of your intent, don't discuss it further with him unless your steward is present. A witness is invaluable. Management does seem to have a knack for distorting things.
Why do you have to notify a supervisor?
Never heard of that.

ski or die

Ski or Die
When I was a steward, it was required. Maybe different Local's have different procedures. Had grievance's that had to be refiled because management complained they were not notified.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Better yet. Management can be a real pain in the ??? when you tell them you are unhappy with them. Glad to see procedure has changed.

ski or die

Ski or Die
You seem to have the qualifications to make a very good steward. Something to think about. Some of the stewards I knew definetly leaned the wrong way. That was my only regret when I retired, not being there to help my fellow employees.

You seem to have the qualifications to make a very good steward. Something to think about. Some of the stewards I knew definetly leaned the wrong way. That was my only regret when I retired, not being there to help my fellow employees.
We have a pretty good steward. I would only go after that position, if he didn't want to do it anymore. I help in other ways.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
In the Central Region, you are still required to notify management.

That's when he clock starts ticking.... in regards to it being "timely".

-Bug-
Depends on situation. Just like ups is suppose to give us a verbal warning before getting a letter. How often does that happen???????same with grievance. We are suppose to notify them of said problem to let them correct it before a grievance is filed.

ski or die

Ski or Die
How do you file a grievance? What is the procedure?
Inform your steward of your intent and what you will be filing on before you discuss it with supervisor. That way, if the supervisor becomes abusive, stop discussion and bring in steward and he will be informed and not cold of what is happening. Don't punch the grievance on time clock until after you have notified management of intent.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The steward or the person filing the grievance?

The person.

"The grievance shall be discussed with the employee’s immediate supervisor or with the aggrieved employee and his/her shop steward. If the grievance is not resolved within one (1) working day;

It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union and have it submitted to the company within five (5) working days."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

Inform your steward of your intent and what you will be filing on before you discuss it with supervisor. That way, if the supervisor becomes abusive, stop discussion and bring in steward and he will be informed and not cold of what is happening. Don't punch the grievance on time clock until after you have notified management of intent.
We don't even have mechanical time clocks anymore. When I hand the steward a grievance, he shows it to a supervisor. Then the supervisor initials and dates it.

The person.

"The grievance shall be discussed with the employee’s immediate supervisor or with the aggrieved employee and his/her shop steward. If the grievance is not resolved within one (1) working day;

It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union and have it submitted to the company within five (5) working days."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-
I'm just saying we don't discuss it with the management team.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Depends on situation. Just like ups is suppose to give us a verbal warning before getting a letter. How often does that happen???????same with grievance. We are suppose to notify them of said problem to let them correct it before a grievance is filed.

I agree with you on that.

That's why the company abused Article 17-I.... for years.

Everything was an "other serious offense".

-Bug-