How to get hired off street as UPS driver/how is this fair?How often does this happen

toroman

How does a person get hire off the street as a driver? How is this fair for the preloaders who have been busting there self so early in the morning hours and someone moves in front of them off the street? How often does this happen? Please, someone who knows explain this? What do we pay union dues for this to happen to us?:angry:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: How to get hired off street as UPS driver/how is this fair?How often does this ha

How does a person get hire off the street as a driver? How is this fair for the preloaders who have been busting there self so early in the morning hours and someone moves in front of them off the street? How often does this happen? Please, someone who knows explain this? What do we pay union dues for this to happen to us?:angry:

Read your contract.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Re: How to get hired off street as UPS driver/how is this fair?How often does this ha

Your right its not fair and it use to happen all the time...not so much any more. There is talk about making it a 8 or 9 to 1 ratio in the comming up contract..

UPSGUY72

Your right its not fair and it use to happen all the time...not so much any more. There is talk about making it a 8 or 9 to 1 ratio in the comming up contract..

So you have been so lucky to be able to sit in on the negotiations. Or is this rumor you heard.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

If somebody gets hired off the street as a full time driver this time of the year, they will be gone December 26.

Buck Fifty

6 to 1 here and we dont hire drivers off the street during peak.

Buck Fifty

Generally they save it for a management crone. No offense, but the last three haven't gone back. gotta love it !

Notretiredyet

So you have been so lucky to be able to sit in on the negotiations. Or is this rumor you heard.
It's not a rumor, it was a contract demand. Before someone goes off about it being something that shouldn't be discussed here, its available online along with the other changes proposed at demands meetings held a few months back.

Cementups

Box Monkey

Have these preloaders (or other workers) been signing the bid list to drive in the first place? Can't be upset if you don't follow the right measures in the first place.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I would like to see UPS get peak hire drivers from within first, hiring off-the-street when the need for drivers exceeds the number of those interested. Even if they are going to be sent back inside at the end of peak, I believe the benefits to all woukd be much. Those returning to the preload after peak will have a better appreciation of how their loads effect the driver's day, and may take more care in how they load (I know I did after going out as a helper). And when they need summertime hires they should have an ample supply of previously-trained drivers, which should lessen UPS' costs.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I would like to see UPS get peak hire drivers from within first, hiring off-the-street when the need for drivers exceeds the number of those interested. Even if they are going to be sent back inside at the end of peak, I believe the benefits to all woukd be much. Those returning to the preload after peak will have a better appreciation of how their loads effect the driver's day, and may take more care in how they load (I know I did after going out as a helper). And when they need summertime hires they should have an ample supply of previously-trained drivers, which should lessen UPS' costs.

This sounds like a good idea, but if they did, then they would have to hire temporary loaders for peak, which would be a huge cluster****.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I suspect the majority of preloaders/hub workers do not want to be drivers, so the need for replacing them may not be all that great. In addition, with how much more simplified the operation is [SUPPOSED] to be due to the PAS replacing what hub workers do go out for driving shouldn't be that great an ordeal.

sealbasher

i was hired of the street in 1991

Coldworld

60 months and counting

i was hired of the street in 1991

Canada is different aren't all drivers hired off the street in canada...isn't Canada like the black sheep of ups, or the world for that matter?